Installed Waves 2010, can't see them in Logic? [SOLVED]

hira78

Please note this is my first time using a mac, only had it 1 week!

I installed the disc & was under the impression the folder was installed in my applications folder. There is a 'waves' folder there now, so i moved the waves plug-ins to Home/Application support/logic/Plug in settings.

I was after the Rcompressor & when I was flicking thru the waves folder can see all these 'bundles', one of them is called Rcomp.bundle - is this not the Rcompressor?

Thanks.

Why did you move them? That's not the correct folder either. So whatever you put there take it out. Those are the plugin settings that come with Logic.

Leave the waves folder where it is

The plugins, which is a "component file", goes to HD/Library//Audio/Plugins/Components.

Remember to select the HD Library, not the User Library.

Also when you install Waves later you have to run the Waves Utility app or something similar and then it asks you where the Waves folder is located.

Edited by triplets

Please note this is my first time using a mac, only had it 1 week!

Duly noted. ;)

I installed the disc & was under the impression the folder was installed in my applications folder. There is a 'waves' folder there now, so i moved the waves plug-ins to Home/Application support/logic/Plug in settings.

Why? Did you read an instruction telling you to do so, or did you just... improvise? An installer is something the plug-in manufacturer designs to move all the necessary files at all the right locations for you, so unless their instructions specifically say so, there's no reason you should move anything after running the installer.

The Plug-in settings folder is for settings, not for the plug-in files themselves.

The first question is: did you try to open the plug-in in Logic? You should go to a channel strip, click an empty insert and navigate to Audio Units > Waves > Name-of-plug-in.

r u saying that whatever waves 2010 disc has installed has already been moved to the right places for logic? so should i just leave the waves folder in applications? i tried moving Rcomp.bundle to the HD/Library//Audio/Plugins/Components, but when i go Audio Units > Waves > Name-of-plug-in. i can not see the Rcomp.bundle. does waves 2010 have the Rcompressor? when i open the folder it first has a GTR3.5 sign, then a utilities sign, then waves plug-ins, then waveshells.

in the plug-ins folder it has Rcomp.bundle, i thought this was the Rcompressor.

niceone 4 ur patience as im sure this is basic knowledge & u must feel like slapping me right now ;) theres just soooo much to learn....

Did you actually try my suggestion (quoted again below) exactly? It sounds like you're still fumbling around in the Finder. . . and no, you shouldn't unless 1) you know exactly what you're doing and why, OR 2) you have read some instruction in the manual telling you to do so?

Right now it's kinda like you've bought this new car, and you don't know anything about cars, so you opened the hood, disconnected that black hose and connected somewhere else instead. And what I'm suggesting is that you don't open the hood, but sit behind the wheel, insert your key in the ignition and simply try starting the car. :wink:

did you try to open the plug-in in Logic? You should go to a channel strip, click an empty insert and navigate to Audio Units > Waves > Name-of-plug-in.

i installed the waves disc a few days ago, the folder is in applications thats why i thought i couldnt see the contents in logic.

when i click on a plug in insert and go down to audio units i can not see the waves folder david...

okay, i installed again & still nothing, so i moved the whole folder to HD/Library//Audio/Plugins/Components & this time it started validating 309 plugins. It then stated that the they didn't pass the test & could not be opened in case of crashing logic, but now i can see them all listed in the audio units manager, compatibility - couldn't be opened.

OK, so if you're on Snow Leopard, it might be a good idea 2 upd8 your signature.

And yes, upd8ing is free.

First make sure Logic Pro is in the Applications folder and is called just "Logic Pro", no version number in the name. Then choose Software Upd8 from your Apple-menu. The rest is self-explanatory.

If you're new to this, aren't sure what to do, and have difficulty following the Waves installer instructions, don't forget that you can contact Waves tech support directly.

They are in my experience very helpful and will help walk you through the procedure and get you up and running.

Waves installations have always been overcomplicated imo although recent versions have got much better.

still nothing, so i moved the whole folder to HD/Library//Audio/Plugins/Components & this time it started validating 309 plugins.

You're opening the hood of the car again ;-)

Does the Waves installer tell you to move/copy files around?

I haven't installed Waves, but I have installed about 10 other plugin products, and providing they have an installer, I've never had to go copying files anywhere.

I would seriously stop doing that, or you'll forgot what you've copied where. Besides, you're chances of copying the right files to the right place must be pretty close to 0, given what's been said so far.

My advice, if the installer doesn't work, and you're sure you're checking the right place in Logic to confirm it's not working, then get on to support (and don't copy/move any files anywhere... step away from the Finder)

As far as I know, all you need to do is install (the plugins are put in the correct location), and run the WavesReg utility in the Waves application folder to announce the plugins to the system.

They'll be an authorisation process in there somewhere, which depends on the version you are running...

Why did you move them again?

Leave the waves folder where it is

The plugins, which is a "component file", goes to HD/Library//Audio/Plugins/Components.

Remember to select the HD Library, not the User Library.

Also when you install Waves later you have to run the Waves Utility app or something similar and then it asks you where the Waves folder is located.

by HD u mean hard disk right?

i go to computer/library/audio/plug-ins/components & have moved the entire waves folder to it. in the waves folder i first have a GTR 3.5 symbol, down from that a utilities symbol, down from that waves 7.0 redme.html,down from that waves plug-ins & finally waveshells.

in that same components file i can see the oxford plugins that i installed, but they have a file extension called.component, my waves items have .bundle.

i can see them all listed in audio units manager but they all state 'can not be opened'.

i only tried moving them as since installation i can not see them in logic, and they are automatically installed to applications anyway which it seems is wrong.