How do i gain access to these instruments?

SoSpiro

when i am loading zones in the ESX i go to

My Macbook pro>MAC HD>Library>App support>Garageband>Instrument Library>Sampler>Sampler files

and when i open a kit, i will see some dead spots (files that are there but are greyed out and i cannot import them).

I understand that i am using garageband instruments (so not 100% of the instruments are transferrable maybe?), but there is definitely an instrument that i have loaded into a zone before that cannot be accessed now. Why is that?

I attached a couple picture to show what i am talking about....

1536356025_ScreenShot2012-06-26at2_06_51AM.thumb.png.d23dd0b01715f531422037b11f4c8990.png

1369465987_ScreenShot2012-06-26at2_09_18AM.thumb.png.92eec5aac3d4e979e7f62a297d319a5a.png

The grayed out samples are missing an extension. Locate them in the Finder and add ".aif" at the end of the file, then try again.

Oh God, i will spend about an hour doing this. any idea what may have caused this?

nevertheless, David strikes again.

I'm afraid that's just the way the files were created - they are missing the extensions here too. It shouldn't take you an hour though! :shock: A few minutes at most. ;)

nah man, i had whole folders missing extensions and i JUST finished. literally took almost 2 hours.

I am guessing you had the same problem but on a smaller degree?

Well I didn't go through the entire library but after looking for a while couldn't find any samples except the Headbanger Kit that were missing extensions. Anyway sorry to hear that, glad you're now sorted. ;)

so after spending 2 hours changing the name of the file extension, i get back from work to use the program and now when i load the kits with these missing instruments, it says "_______ is not found!". this happens with every file i've changed and when i open the kit in EXS, they don't play at all :-/

Try reindexing Spotlight. EXS24 uses Spotlight to find the samples.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409

Reindexing may take anything from 2 to 20 minutes per disk. Let it finish before opening Logic again. After you've started reindexing you can click on the magnifying glass top right of your screen to see a progress bar.

thank you for replying.

well i followed the directions

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.

2. Click Spotlight.

3. Click the Privacy tab.

4. Drag a folder or even an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list.

5. Remove the item or volume you just added.

is there something else i should be clicking after dragging the garageband instruments into the folder?

there isn't any button that says "START REINDEXING" or anything, so after i dragged the instrument folders (which took 2 seconds) i removed them just as the directions said....but it didn't take 20 minutes. what do i need to do to trigger the actual reindexing?what should i be doing between step 4 & 5?

btw, i thought i should mention that it allows me to drag the instrument folders, but not the actual individual instrument files....

If you reindex just one folder that will obviously be (a lot) faster. So, correction, it may take 0.2 seconds to 20 minutes, depending on how big the reindex job is. I only ever reindex whole volumes, never individual folders. If the reindex job takes only the blink of an eye, there's no need for a progress bar. Or it is gone before you got the time to find it. But I would advice to reindex the whole disk, not just some folders.

If you reindex just one folder that will obviously be (a lot) faster. So, correction, it may take 0.2 seconds to 20 minutes, depending on how big the reindex job is. I only ever reindex whole volumes, never individual folders. If the reindex job takes only the blink of an eye, there's no need for a progress bar. Or it is gone before you got the time to find it. But I would advice to reindex the whole disk, not just some folders.

My apologies, i forgot to include the snapshot.

well i also dragged the Mac HD into the field just now, and it took the same amount of time.

do i just drag it and then remove it without doing anything in between? because it literally takes 3 seconds even when i do it with the MAC HD disk that i've accessed from Applications>My Macbook Pro......

355393628_ScreenShot2012-06-27at11_12_59AM.png.04fd78fdd2ff876eb38acfe45cb6bbc1.png

1665352447_ScreenShot2012-06-27at12_17_24PM.png.47ae790175999c3ba543ede5c1fbeab5.png

My apologies, i forgot to include the snapshot.

well i also dragged the Mac HD into the field just now, and it took the same amount of time.

do i just drag it and then remove it without doing anything in between?

Yes. I've experienced sometimes that it took some time to actually start indexing (with an entirew volume, that is). And yes, the idea is to drag it to the list (to remove the index) and then remove it from the list again to create a new index.

because it literally takes 3 seconds even when i do it with the MAC HD disk that i've accessed from Applications>My Macbook Pro......

Wait a minute, from where? You should drag your disk from your Desktop to the list, this sounds as if you've reindexed an alias; your system disk does not reside inside any folder, and if it does, it is an alias. Do you have your HD showing on your Desktop? If not, make it appear via Finder>Preferences>General

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6222/6213749039_51677dc103_n.jpg

first off, thanks again for being patient. please bare with me, this is important to me :-/

Ok, i went under Go>My Macbook Pro> Mac HD to access it this time and transferred that to my desktop.

i then go to Apple>System Preferences> Spotlight>privacy then proceeded to drag the macHD into the field.

when i drag it into the field, i get the message "Are you sure you want to prevent spotlight from searching in 'macHD?' (if you exclude this location from spotlight searches, the search feature won't work in some applications)" I click OK and the macHD disk is in the field. i do not get that loading screen that you posted in the picture after i drag the disk. i have no idea how you got there because there isn't anywhere to iniate the indexing??? nothing is happening at all when i add/remove the Mac HD disk :-/

550930647_ScreenShot2012-06-28at12_20_44PM.thumb.png.6e8487fefdce198bd072d4d18a98573f.png

Yes, it has appeared, correctly, so now remove it (select it and hit the minus button). Reindexing should start soon, but in max 1 minute. If it does not, repeat the procedure. It will start eventually.

And you only see the progress bar if you click on the Spotlight icon extreme top right of your screen. It should also show a small pulsing dot in the middle of the magnifying glass.

Yes, it has appeared, correctly, so now remove it (select it and hit the minus button). Reindexing should start soon, but in max 1 minute. If it does not, repeat the procedure. It will start eventually.

And you only see the progress bar if you click on the Spotlight icon extreme top right of your screen. It should also show a small pulsing dot in the middle of the magnifying glass.

well thank you very much for clarifying the bold. i just finished doing that and the instruments still do not work. in fact, the problem seems to have expanded and more files aren't even working or playing in the EXS. when i preview them in the load zone screen, they are fine and play....but when i actually load them into the zone, it will not play at all. this is disheartening.....

i am thinking about just reinstalling so i can get all of my soudns back. how will my saved files be affected though?

edit- and now Logic Pro has unexpectedly quit for the first time ever. I am getting lots of glitches.