Transferring Logic Pro 9 to new computer - Jam Packs

Coker

I'm having trouble getting my new computer to recognize the Jam Packs. I see them in the right folder. I have Logic Pro 9.1.7. Going from a MacBook (with Lion) to my new MacBook Pro (with Lion), I used Migration Assistant. Logic is running fine, except the menus for Jam Packs don't open up. I followed the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3443, trashing the Apple Loops Index files, starting Logic, dragging the Loops folder from the finder into the Loop Browser in Logic. Restarted Logic, restarted computer. Still no dice... Does anyone have a suggestion? -Thanks.

I followed the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3443, trashing the Apple Loops Index files, starting Logic, dragging the Loops folder from the finder into the Loop Browser in Logic.

Those instructions are for Apple Loops, but you're looking for settings files.

You probably need to reindex your Logic folder in Spotlight: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409

Your Logic folder is under Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic/

As odd as it sounds...

The quick'ish fix for this, that seems to work more times than not with this weird little bug in Logic 9... is to rebuild the indexes in GB instead.. and then Logic 'sees' them again....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2443

Be very careful to follow ALL the steps outlined in the above article.. Missing out a single step can result in failure of the fix.

I have had to use this 'fix' several times with different client's systems who have this problem and it almost always seems to work though why it works, is frankly beyond me....

Thanks Nigel - I followed the directions from the apple support link you included, dragging all "Search Index" files from the Apple Loops Index folder to the Trash, emptying the Trash, restarting computer, dropping the Apple Loops folder into Garage Band's loop browser. The result was I got Apple Loops to work in Garage band, which is cool. Then I reopened Logic and created a new track to try a couple of Apple Loops from scratch. It worked - drag a loop in, it adjusts to whatever tempo, plays fine! However, I still cannot get the Jam Packs' menus to open up - (e.g. can't get my Caribbean Vibraphone sound to play on this track that works fine otherwise). On the right side of the window from the tab "Library", the Jam Packs are listed, along with all the subcategories, yet nothing is in each folder.

Some other dialog boxes that come up when loading Logic Pro 9 might offer a clue: "Incompatible Audio Units found. - While verifying Audio Unit compatibility, LP encountered 1 Audio Unit plug-in which did not pass the Apple AU validation...." I started AU Manager, and it lists: "NiP2 couldn't be opened" - General MIDI Module (M-Audio) failed validation" - and Little Radiator (a free plug in I got that I don't really use, but that would work with my iLok) "not authorized". Then more dialog boxes follow, might as well list them:

"EXS24 instrument "Arco Strings.exs Audio file "Strs in 3 f#.aif" not found!"

"EXS24 instrument "Warehouse Kit.exs Audio file "DNA W Rid Alt Cl.aif not found!"

"EXS24 instrument "Fretless Electric Bass.exs - audio file "FBWACO1A1X01.aif" not found!"

"EXS24 instrument "Vibraphone.exs - Audio file "YTVibraphoneXA2" not found!"

I appreciate everyone's help on this.

- Ben

Ben, I think the missing EXS sample files are all part of GB...

On my setup for example YTVibraphoneXA2 can be found in;

UPDATE: I corrected my mistype in the path given

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Garageband/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler files/Vibraphone

(Note: These are found in the Main Library and not your User Library)

Worth checking to make sure yours is there too.

If it is.. make sure Spotlight is reindexed after running the earlier fix.. so Logic can find it.

If it isn't then you have found your problem...

The AU stuff is unrelated.. that's just AU's that are not compatible with Lion/Mountain Lion I suspect. Look for updates for them.

Edited by n6smith

A follow up thought is why does the Jam Packs folders on my hard drive have audio loops (.caf files), yet on my old MacBook I have been able to access MIDI sounds through the Jam Packs menu on a Software Instrument? Perhaps my folder hierarchy on my old Mac is convoluted? If I could access those EXS24 instruments another way on my MacBook Pro Logic session, I'd be happy with that.

Hey, I got it to work! I had 13GB+ on my old computer in the Sampler folders and just a few hundred MBs on my new computer. I transferred them over to the exact corresponding folder and did some Spotlight reindexing. (Btw, how do I know if it's really re-indexing after putting in Spotlight's private folder and then removing?) All my sounds are generally there with one remaining problem. On my old computer's Logic file, I can access sounds from Jam Packs as seen in the screenshot below. I still can't get any menu response on my new computer with regard to that (as pictured in my screenshot from earlier in this thread.) Somehow, the "Caribbean Vibraphone" sound is playing through the EXS Sampler where you choose sounds from within. I didn't set it this way.

Thanks,

Ben

1856780170_JamPacksaccessedthroughLogicmenus.jpg.f7038b2363a75e8a6d01c08854a79a5c.jpg

The separate Jam Pack Channel Strip Setting menu items (folders) are left over from a previous version (most likely v7) of Logic Pro.

Logic Pro v9.x integrates all of the Jam Pack Channel Strip Settings into the primary Channel Strip Settings categories:

• Bus

- 01 Spaces

- 02 Imaging

- 03 Delays

- 04 Groups

- 05 Warped

- 06 Surround Spaces

- 07 HD Surround Spaces

- 08 Surround Delays

- 09 Surround Groups

- 10 Surround Multi-FX

- 11 Surround Tools

- 12 Warped Surround

• Instrument

- 01 Logic Instruments

- 02 Acoustic Pianos

- 03 Bass

- 04 Drums & Percussion

- 05 Keyboards

- 06 Synthesizers

- 07 Pop Strings

- 08 Pop Horns

- 09 Guitars

- 10 Orchestral

- 11 World

- 12 Textures

- 13 External Instruments

- 14 Surround

• Master

- 01 Mastering Templates

- 02 Multiband Compression

- 03 Level Maximizer

- 04 Match EQ Master

- 05 Surround Downmix

• Output

- 01 Analysis Tools

- 02 Mastering

• Track

- 01 Spaces

- 02 Electric Guitar

- 03 Acoustic Guitar

- 04 Bass Guitar

- 05 Acoustic Bass

- 06 Voice

- 07 Drums & Percussion

- 08 Tools

- 09 Warped

- 10 Surround

• Shared GarageBand settings on my Mac

- Bass

- Choir

- Drum Kits

- Guitars

- Horns

- Mallets

- Organs

- Percussion

- Pianos and Keyboards

- Soloist

- Sound Effects

- Strings

- Synth Basics

- Synth Leads

- Synth Pads

- Synth Textures

- Tuned Percussion

- Woodwinds

The v7 Jam Pack Channel Strip Setting menu items (folders) are redundant in v9.x, and can be safely removed:

• Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Logic > Channel Strip Settings > folder_names_starting_with_Jam_Pack

*** Check the Bus / Instrument / Master / Output / Track folders

• Macintosh HD > Users > your_name_here > Library > Application Support > Logic > Channel Strip Settings > folder_names_starting_with_Jam_Pack

*** Check the Bus / Instrument / Master / Output / Track folders

To find and select specific Jam Pack Channel Strip Settings in Logic v9.x:

1. Select the instrument track

2. Click on the Library tab in the Media Area

3. Enter search criteria in the search box i.e. Caribbean

4. Double-click on the desired Channel Strip Setting i.e. Caribbean Vibraphone

Thanks, Simon. I checked Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Logic > Channel Strip Settings > but didn't find folders named Jam Pack. I did see the: Bus / Instrument / Master / Output / Track folders, all chock full of .cst files. I should delete these? My Jam Pack folders are here: Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Apple Loops > Apple. Given the idea of remnants left over from Logic 8 (my first version), I'm wondering if these Jam Packs are even necessary now, and if not whether to delete them.

Searching by name in the Media Area didn't bring up any Caribbean Vibraphone, but there are enough Vibraphones there to work with, and maybe I should chalk that up to mystery.

Appreciate your help,

Ben

Ben,

When spotlight is working, a small black dot appears in the center of the spotlight icon in the top bar... When it is reindexing you should see this black dot appear for some time rather than the brief and intermittent appearances it normally makes..

Also, I noticed that my Caribbean Vibraphone is found under the "Shared Garage Band Setting on my Mac" (which is found two entries higher in the main menu) rather than under Jam Pack 1 like on yours... Have you checked to see if it is in the former folder and if it loads okay from there instead?

HTH...