Soloing a Group with Folder(s)

RedBaron

OK,

So I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to use Groups as a workaround for this issue http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91123

This way I could solo/mute channel strip pairs as a group. This would mean I'd have to set up 16+ channel strip pairs as 16+ mixer groups.

The following scenario arose whilst trying out some ideas:

(1) Create a new empty project with 3 audio tracks.

(2) Assign all 3 audio tracks to Group 1, and enable the Solo & Mute checkboxes in Group Settings. Clicking solo/mute now mutes/solos all 3 tracks/channel strips.

(3) Put audio tracks 1 & 2 inside a folder. They're still assigned to group 1. Audio track 3 is outside 1 & 2's folder.

Now, if I click solo inside the folder, only audio tracks 1 & 2 are soloed. Putting tracks that are PART of a group inside a folder breaks the ability to solo the whole group from inside the folder.

Thwarted at every turn!

Are you talking about soloing the channel strips (mixer) or the track headers?

On my system, if I split the group like you've done, group soling still works on all channels, even when done from inside the folder, as long as I solo from the mixer.

However, if you solo via the track header, you'll only be able to solo the tracks in the folder even if you choose the remote setting - Prefs / Audio / General Track mute/solo - which links track header soloing to the channel strip.

Yeah, I'm talking about soloing from the track header from INSIDE a folder in the arrange area.

Only grouped channel strips inside that same arrange folder will solo as well. Plus, the solo fader event doesn't show up in an environment monitor object anywhere if triggered from the track header button, but mute events do.

If you click on the inspector, mixer or environment channel strip of a grouped track that is contained inside a folder then, yes, solo will work as expected for that group.

I can't see any reason to stop that functionality from the track header solo button. I don't want to open the mixer to solo one or more groups whilst editing in the piano roll. It works for a track header's mute button but not for solo...

Apologies if this is the same issue.

I thought this was a slightly different issue as I was trying to get at the fact that putting tracks in Folders had changed the way the Group behaves.

It may not be a bug, it may be intentional, but it doesn't make sense to me. Mutes work fine after all...

It's not a bug. It has to do with the structure of 'Tracks' and 'Channels.'

I was wondering the same thing and thought if I turned off Select Regions on Track Selection that might affect the behaviour but it didn't make any difference. And as the OP says, it works for mutes. Strange one, seems a little arbitrary.