Reamping with logic and presonus

Jonofat

Hi. I have never done this reamping thing before but it sounds like it could result in an awesome guitar sound :)

I have logic pro 9 and a Presonus firestudio project. I usually plug a guitar jack from my guitar straight into the Firestudio project and then just use the standard logic guitar amp plugins for my guitar sound. Can I perform the reamp process with the gear I have or do I need to buy something additional in order to achieve it?

Many thanks.

You don't need any additional gear.

Set the output of the track to a non used output. Connect a cable from your presonus output to your guitar amp input.

Use a microphone to capture the amplified sound from the guitar amp speaker and insert it back into the Presonus. Record your signal.

You can also use the I/O plug-in directly inserted on the channel strip.

Thanks for the response! By I/O plug-in do you mean one of the 8 mic/line inputs on the front of the interface? And I just use a jack to jack guitar lead to plug in from front of firestudio into input of guitar amp? If that is right then that is really easy. I'm terrified of blowing something up which is why I want to make 100% sure of what I am doing :)

I did reply again but it doesn't look like it showed up? Anyway, what I asked was...

On the back of the presonus is a MAIN OUT which has left and right. I currently have cables going in there from my studio monitors. There are also 8 GENERAL PURPOSE OUTPUTS. Must I take a guitar lead from any general purpose output into my guitar amp?

Okay, sorry for yet another question. I was reading up on these reamp boxes on the reamp website and found the below FAQ. They say you need to use one because of impedance or something? Is this true or a sales pitch? Again, I just ask because if I blow up either my amp or presonus, I am screwed, like holy.

"Question - I use a computer with a sound card. Do I need a Reamp to send recorded tracks to a guitar amp?

Answer - Yes. Most high-end music cards (m-audio, lynx, aardvark) have +4 outputs on breakout cables. If your computer sound card has +4 outputs you are ready to go into the Reamp. Many consumer “off the shelf” computer cards (Sound Blaster type) are only –10 unbalanced. In this case, you will need to lower the output level another 10 to 15 dB, stay unbalanced and go directly into the amp without a Reamp. Don't call me if it doesn't works."