"Magnetic" Movement

elik

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere and it seems like a cool new feature, possibly still in development?

It seems like regardless of the snap settings, moving regions and events seems to have a kind of "magnetic" feel. When you are moving or editing a region or event, it seems to snap to the nearest region/event boundary when it gets close. ie: within a certain range or tolerance. Is this a documented behavior?

Eli Krantzberg

• 5 weeks later...
My 10.0.2 piano roll acts like this and I call it a bug. With L9 I could set to "ticks," which was good enough res. for me, then hold down control+shift and I could put notes, as long or short as I wished, where I wanted them. After a day and half trying old faves like trashing p.list file and everything else I can think of, I have to give up on L10 until this behavior is made optional. Too bad, it looks really cool.

I'm not fond either of the new tendency for notes on the piano roll to snap to certain positions at times even when I have the snap resolution set to "ticks". I've been resorting to doing much of my MIDI event editing in the Event List because of this. It hasn't convinced me to give up on LPX or anything, but I really wish Apple would rethink that behavior or at least provide a way to toggle it off when it is undesirable. MIDI notes aren't the equivalent of movie clips, and snapping them together or end-to-end seldom results in anything musical.

• 1 year later...

I agree with your comments and I have submitted a support request to try and address this problem. In the past Apple has listened and acted on these requests (such as drill down on the piano roll when multiple tracks are selected) so I suggest you submit feedback here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Here is my request:

Logic Pro X added a new feature in the piano roll which many users may find helpful but it can be frustrating for more professional users. When you drag a note, regardless of the snap settings, it will only drag after the mouse moves a certain distance from the note. Small drags are not really possible. When the note does eventually drag there is a kind of 'magnetic' pull towards the original position of the note. This has made moving notes around in small increments very difficult and frustrating. You can see here that other users are facing the same problem:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97963&hilit=Alignment

I know that if you press the control and shift buttons you can get around this but can this 'magnetic' behavior be an turned off with an option?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Doesn't seem to be changed in the updated Logic Pro X 10.2.0 (29-Aug-2015). Although I do see a convenient power like button near the snap menu on the piano roll that enables you to quickly turn snap on or off. I think Apple needs more user feedback on this issue to make this 'magnetic' option optional.

• 8 months later...
I find this magnetic drag behaviour totally irritating, especially when trying to edit some piano solo that's not fully on the grid by intention! I submitted a feedback form at Apple.

Snap can now be turned off, have you tried actually turning it off? When off I don't see any magnetic snapping at all here, I'm free to drag regions/notes wherever I want.

• 5 months later...
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere and it seems like a cool new feature, possibly still in development?

It seems like regardless of the snap settings, moving regions and events seems to have a kind of "magnetic" feel. When you are moving or editing a region or event, it seems to snap to the nearest region/event boundary when it gets close. ie: within a certain range or tolerance.  Is this a documented behavior?

Eli Krantzberg

This is of course super "late" and I don't even know if this is what you guys are talking about here... but every time I want to drag a region or a note and I don't want it to snap to the grid, regardless of the snap being turned on and with a specific value, I just hold CTRL and it doesn't snap. Been using this for years and it's super useful because it's almost like a secondary tool for me.

Important note: you need to click the region or note FIRST and then while still holding the region/note, press CTRL and drag.

Hope this somehow helps and I'm sorry if this has nothing to do with the topic :P