Disconnected Environment Cables after Layer Import in LX

Plowman

To double check this, I created a pristine file in Logic 9, brand new. I made five monitor objects in an Environment layer and cabled them sequentially.

In LX, I opened a brand new song and imported the layer. The cables between the monitors were corrupted. Some were backwards, and others disappeared.

I discovered this after I tried to import layers with with a lot more objects. Virtually none of them retained their cabling.

Then I created a new song in LX, made five monitors, cabled them sequentially, and tried to import their layer with *another* new song created in LX. Same thing happened. So this may be a pure LX bug, not a Logic 9 / Logic 10 issue.

I have not trashed Preferences recently... but that exercise is getting old. I'm curious if anyone can confirm this bug.

Here's a before and after of a real-world example, as it appears originally in Logic 9, and what Logic 10 does to it, both visually (corruption of color and font) and functionally (loss of all cabling).

Even if the cabling was intact, I defy Apple to justify the LX visual rendering of those objects. If any Logic 9 user here is contemplating an 10.0.1 purchase, and you spend significant time in Environment, then take a good, long look at the second picture below.

You might want to wait for Apple to sort this out.

240503281_AfterObjectLayerImport.jpg.fd97420f7267a8c42a27cb34d3186fc5.jpg

607109155_BeforeObjects.jpg.3758b007968b2a844b3560d54799d585.jpg

ski, the only thing that's been left to us is the length of our Physical Inputs!

Seriously, it feels like someone trampled through my house. I have put so much time into Environment for the express purpose of making my life easier, to focus on music, not programming. My Environment spares me the dumpster-diving into numerous windows to understand what is being triggered where. Now, I'd rather jump into the dumpster than look at the Environment window.

And if there had been some kind of upside, some trade-off or benefit, maybe it would be easier to take. But this is the same Environment, only uglier, less readable, without alignment, with text boxes over-spilling their boundaries and a cluster-whack of unwanted color. It looks like a screen of reverse video.

And then they remove the Link.

The Link thing is scary, because it feels like the beginning of the end, not an oversight. I have a feeling the color and alignment with labels issues will be addressed.

I'll be in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you. I came to the forum today specifically to see if anyone else had reported it.

Owwww... and I just went to test it in a newly created, pristine, LX-only file that I'd saved as a template. Did New from Template, clicked My Templates, and KABOOM! Argh.

Attempt #2 - did a reopen from the crash report dialog, New from Template, My Templates, chose my template, checked the environment layer in question and all is well. Phew.

But yeah, not being able to import things we've developed over significant time hurts, for sure. Honestly my most prized one is the good old Compare button that lets me A/B my mix against a ref track. That was easy enough to repair. But still... ouch.

• 2 months later...
I'm having this problem too. Missing cables, missing objects (transformers, monitors). Tried copypasting with keyboard commands first and got an error saying there wasn't anything valid in the clipboard. Then when trying to paste through the environment menus, nothing appeared. BUT merge instead of import works. Everything showed up and was connected properly. Having other layers cluttered with stuff and sifting that out is a bit of a drag... but it works. (LPX 10.0.3)