Ongoing problem which requires restart

Soundhound

I'm not sure how long I've been having this problem, and wasn't sure whether it's a problem with Logic (using Logic Pro X now) or perhaps my system.

At least once a day I'll get dropouts/clicks/pops etc. - and when this happens I notice that the CPU meter is continually near the top of it's range. I think closing and reopening Logic doesnt ever solve it, but I can't swear to it. What does fix it is restarting my iMac. This will happen at some point during the day if I've been working on a project, but I also noticed it will sometimes happen at the beginning of the day. I use a few different backup processes, that work overnight (Time Machie on a local drive, and Crashplan, a service I subscribe to which saves to their servers, wherever they are...) My audio interface is an old original MOTU 828 which sounds fine and seems to work great, never really have a problem with it (that I'm aware of!).

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Anybody have an idea of whether it's a Logic Issue, or more likely with my system? I'm running the latest Mountain Lion version, etc, I keep everything up to date, or try to anyway.

thanks!

• 5 months later...

Reviving this old thread. I have the latest update for my interface, but MOTU doesn't officially support it anymore. I wonder if that means it's time for a new interface. Anyone know if there might be something else causing this that I should account for first? thanks.

What happens is the CPU meter will stay near max and I'll get clicks and pops. Closing Logic doesn't fix it. But restarting the iMac does.

thanks.

Hi

What happens is the CPU meter will stay near max and I'll get clicks and pops. Closing Logic doesn't fix it. But restarting the iMac does.

thanks.

Does resetting the audio device by switching to another project using a different sample rate and back again to the original sample rate clear the issue?

I tried switching the rate in a project from 48 to 44.1, but that didn't have an effect. Tried opening old projects with 44.1 as their rate, no change. I turned off my MOTU 828 interface, in the Sound Preferences I set the Output to headphones and Input to internal microphone (828 not available to choose in Sound Prefs when it's turned off) and I hooked up some small desk speakers I have, using the iMacheadphone jack, but there was no difference in the problem.

Still the only thing that stops it is to reboot the iMac, just closing and reopening Logic doesn't resolve it. When its happening, it seems like the CPU meter will go down when nothing is playing, or it will stay almost maxed. Sometimes it will go down to a normal amount of CPU usage, but then when I play something it goes to almost max and stays there even when playback or my playing an instrument stops.

So I guess this takes the interface, and maybe the MOTU driver out of the equation?

Another bit of info/another odd wrinkle. Once this maxed cpu problem is happening, I find that if I just have one instrument, even something small like the Logic elec piano etc and I remove the instrument, the cpu goes down to normal. If I load the instrument again, the CPU goes up to max. Is there a way to purge something or other that might address the problem, let the instruments reload perhaps?

Hi

So I guess this takes the interface, and maybe the MOTU driver out of the equation?

Some Firewire chipset audio device issues are fixed by using Express Card/FW hub.

Daisy chaining your audio device through your External FW Disk works for others.

A different Cable working for some.

How are you using your External FW Disks, in relation to Audio Device.

One disk for Logic Projects only?

Yes I have one disk for Logic Projects only. It does hold other audio video project files as well, but none that are used during a Logic session.

I have the 828 (interface) going into one of the external hard drives, daisy chained from there into the mac. This is because my iMac only has one firewire port, an 800. The 828 is actually firewire 400, so I have a 400 to 800 adapter on it. My regular setup has probably been different than this, since I'm in a temporary setup, but I think it was similar, and I've been having this CPU problem for a long time. The 828 only has the one firewirre 400 port, so I can't have it first in line unfortunately, would that be a help if I could do it? Moot point, but still could help figure out what's causing the problem...

Hi

I use similar set up, Duet-FW into FireWire Drive.

10.0.6 has improved a lot compared to early releases. I'm changing sample rates a lot, David's LpX tutorials and Logics Demo project mixed with present logic projects. 20 Recent Projects in the Menu, isn't enough somedays. Number of Undo steps in Logic is set to '15' It's been like this since Lp9 install, I think '10' would be fine. Never needed to go back 15 steps yet. I've always been impressed with time machine, Even more so today. Turned off.. Menu 'Back Up Now' on closing Logic.

You can leave Time Machine off, and backup manually with the time machine icon on the upper right (top menu bar). That's what I do.

Audio devices External FW Disks.

FW chipsets? 'sleeping' but not sleeping?

Reseting the Audio Device 'defaults' FW Disks behaviour...

The 'Save As' problems and the FW Disk 'sort-of' sleeping? Mounted but not 'listening' properly?.

action such as a mouse click or a key down. [...] When the application is ready to process an event, it takes one from the queue.

[...]

It's like it's waiting for some other process, perhaps part of the audio engine, to complete before getting back to handling the event queue.[/i]

Different today, very similar though. Still playing catch up...

Hi

Having a Benchmark is good strategy,..

Related issues? EQ Slow and Sluggish? 13" late 2014 Retina MBP, and when I drag the EQ to an external monitor, it works flawlessly... Graphics 'core' history?. Benchmark or Demo Project goes along with regular BackUps.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=103723 Bugs & Workarounds

Hi David,

Not quite understanding this and your previous post, are they from another thread perhaps?

Hi

Having a Benchmark is good strategy,..

Related issues? EQ Slow and Sluggish? 13" late 2014 Retina MBP, and when I drag the EQ to an external monitor, it works flawlessly... Graphics 'core' history?. Benchmark or Demo Project goes along with regular BackUps.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=103723 Bugs & Workarounds

Hi No problem,

Yes a lot of links pointing in the same direction? I think the roots are back in history.

Bugs & Workarounds links. Off Lp main forum. Bugs and breakages requiring updates for 'fix' or Revert back.

Finding the best option 'stable' environment for your OSX/Logic Mac. Benchmark or Demo Project goes along with regular BackUps. You're naturally benchmarking every time Logic is open...

Looking for Links, Ongoing problem restart, EQ Bug?

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/search.php?keywords=10+9+1+motu+828+eq+bug 14 matches

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/search.php?keywords=10+9+1+motu+828+eq 909 matches

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/search.php?keywords=10+9+1+motu+828 909 matches

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/search.php?keywords=10.9.1+SSD+MOTU+828 3 matches

New Universal Driver for MOTU Audio Devices

Postby"efiebke"Tue-Nov12-2013

lock up, requiring reboot 828 mk3 fw

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101299&p=529359&hilit=10+9+1+motu+828+eq#p529359

MOTU Universal Audio Software updated. This is the current version: v4.0.5.8373... Current Version? Options?

Memory management? OSX/Logic Upgrades? Performance benchmarks.

OSX ML 10.8.3 update including

A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins

A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs

Includes Safari 6.0.3

OS X ML 10.8.4 Update.

Compatibility improvements when connecting to certain enterprise Wi-Fi networks

Microsoft Exchange compatibility improvements in Calendar

A fix for an issue that prevented FaceTime calls to non-U.S. phone numbers

A fix for an issue that may prevent scheduled sleep after using Boot Camp

Improves VoiceOver compatibility with text in PDF documents

Includes Safari 6.0.5, which improves stability for some websites with chat features and games

A fix for an issue that may cause iMessages to display out of order in Messages

Resolves an issue in which Calendars Birthdays may appear incorrectly in certain time zones

A fix for an issue that may prevent the desktop background picture from being preserved after restart

A fix for an issue that may prevent documents from being saved to a server using SMB

Addresses an issue that may prevent certain files from opening after copied to a volume named “Home"

A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files made over NFS from displaying

Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

Improves Active Directory log-in performance, especially for cached accounts or when using a .local domain

Improves OpenDirectory data replication

Improves 802.1X compatibility with ActiveDirectory networks

Improves compatibility when using mobile accounts

I recall Lion and Mountain Lion upgrades.

On Mavericks today. When osx updates leave this mbp behind, must be soon..

The Lion Upgrade, strangest 'time' on mbp to date.