Logic Pro X + NI 80s drums - triggering problem for snare!

MonoPoly307

Hi Guys,

I would be grateful for any help on this one... I've been struggling with a specific problem with Logic and Native Instruments "80s Drummer" (and some of the other NI drummer products as well).

I am using a Roland TD12 V-Drums kit, and running Logic (10.0.2) on a Mac Pro 2011 8-core, 2.4GHz.

Here's the problem I am experiencing:

When I load up one of the 80s Drummer kits, I am finding that in the higher velocity ranges (say velocities of around 70 plus), the snare drum is not triggering at all. At lower velocities, it is triggering perfectly, and all the other drums are also triggering right across the velocity range (1-127) without any problems.

I am really puzzled by this and have tried all sorts of troubleshooting.

Here are some specific points that will hopefully help someone on this forum to help me solve the problem (but which will also highlight just how baffling it is!):

1. I am starting with a blank project to make sure there's not something in my LPX user templates that is causing this problem.

2. I am loading up my own key mapping preset within 80s drummer.

3. I also have Cubase 7 installed on my computer, and when the same kits and mapping are opened in Cubase, the snare drum triggers successfully at all velocity levels.

4. The key mapping preset mentioned in point 2 above is the same one I load when using 80s Drummer in Cubase.

5. When I tried 80s Drummer in LPX, triggered via a keyboard rather than the V-Drums, the snare successfully plays at all velocity levels!

Based on the above, you will see that it's very hard to pick up a common factor which might be causing this issue. For example: the problem doesn't seem to be the TD12 kit, as the same kit and 80s Drummer are working perfectly when loaded in Cubase.

The problem doesn't seem (as far as I can tell) to be within Logic either, as the snare plays perfectly at all velocities when I trigger it with a MIDI keyboard. The 80s Drummer key mapping (which I customised when I first purchased the package) also doesn't look like it's the culprit, as it is also working fine when loaded in Cubase.

I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions, as this really has me puzzled (and is obviously frustrating as the NI kits are all therefore more or less unuseable at the moment).

If anyone has any ideas but needs more info from me first, let me know!

Thanks in advance guys!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I just thought I'd revisit this post, as I am still having the same issue described in my original post, with NI drum triggering (under a specific set of circumstances).

Would love it if you could have a look at the post and let me know if there's anything else I should be trying to solve the issue!

Cheers,

Mike

Eriksimon! Thanks for the reply... now I know there is hope of solving the problem!!

In answer to the question, I re-checked tonight, and yes, Logic is receiving MIDI from the snare drum at all velocities. I also checked that the different velocities are still sending the same note, as V-Drums do use different notes for positional sensing on the snare and toms.

To make doubly sure the MIDI data was coming through for the whole velocity range, I recorded a short drum part just with the snare, and even for hits at 127 - which were not sounding at all for the NI drums - MIDI data was recorded to the track.

So it would seem that the problem is not with the V-drums sending MIDI data... however, when I use a different controller (say a MIDI keyboard) with the same NI Abbey Road drum plugin, the snare drum DOES sound at all velocities!!

And to make it even more complex, when I use the V-drums in Cubase (just to test) playing the same NI kit, the snare drum DOES play for all velocities!

So it seems to be the combo of V-Drum MIDI device + Logic + NI drums = no snare sound above velocity of about 70. That appears to be the "Bermuda Triangle" which causes those high-velocity snares to vanish.

Really keen to hear your thoughts, and anything else you think I should try.

Cheers and thanks for your generosity in trying to help,

Mike

Well, I would first like to know what's going on in your Inspector (could be a velocity limiting setting there, either in your regions, or on the track) or in your environment (transformer, MIDI filter).

The NI kit is loaded into what? Kontakt? Could also be any number of settings within Kontakt, or Kontakt player.

Any of these would make sense for your issue, this can all be different in Cubase.

Well, I would first like to know what's going on in your Inspector (could be a velocity limiting setting there, either in your regions, or on the track) or in your environment (transformer, MIDI filter).

The NI kit is loaded into what? Kontakt? Could also be any number of settings within Kontakt, or Kontakt player.

Any of these would make sense for your issue, this can all be different in Cubase.

Hey Eriksimon,

I've had a look at the inspector settings, both at a track and region level - there aren't any velocity limiters in place. I have also tried starting a brand new blank Logic project (not from any of my templates, just in case), to rule out either of these problems.

Environment is also clear of any items which would cause this, again I've tried a brand new project just to be on the safe side.

I'm running NI in Kontakt - must admit I'm not sure what to try there, although I am using presets I have saved there, and which are the same as the presets I am opening in Cubase (and not experiencing any issues with the snare).

I find it strange that the issue is restricted to the snare only, and only when played from my V-Drums kit (sending via Channel 10 usually, although I tried a different MIDI out channel on the V-Drums just to be sure). When I use a different controller - say one of my synths - there's no problem with the snare at any velocity!

So this is something that's specific to the V-Drums, but also specific to Logic. Take either out of the equation (use V-Drums but a different host DAW, or use Logic but a different MIDI input device) and there is no issue with the snare!

Thanks for your help so far!

Cheers,

Mike