Multitimbral Mutes & Solos Killing my Workflow

timedout

Hi Guys

Just moved across to Logic Pro X and im using its multitimbral features with omnisphere, but the learning curve is pretty steep and I cant work out why when setup multitimbrally, and I mute/solo one of the tracks up in the track workspace that all 8 tracks mute/solo. I cant use the volume control up in this section either. I realised I can call up the mixer (x) then open up the Aux channels with the little plus sign and then I can mute/solo/volume from their.

But the problem is its messing up my workflow, I have to call up the mixer to change volume or solo one of the multitimbral channels, then go back to the arrangement workspace and carry on with what I was doing. Also it seems I have to name both the instrument track and the associated Aux track with the same name or its hard to see what track in the arrangement workspace relates to which Aux track.

Ive been working this way all week and its doing my head in. I just went back to working with multiple omnisphere instances and ive got my workflow and control back, but this just seem inefficent now that I have a multitimbral instrument like omnisphere.

Any tips or suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thanks Eric, but I dont exactly know what you mean, ive attached a screenshot which shows my setup, when I move the volume of the first track in the stack, all of the volumes on the top left move. The mixer Aux's in the mixer window below dont. So I cant control the volume from the track itself, only the mixer Aux in the mixer window. Also when I solo track 2 (called default), all of them solo. So I have to control mutes/solos and volume from the mixer window. Which I find uncomfortable.

Sorry if I sound like a proper noob! I am...

Thanks

2000973068_ScreenShot2013-09-01at2_21_51PM.thumb.png.760f3e00db1b1a8b39833202000a9841.png

My multitimbral omnisphere setup

Create a new instrument track. You do not need to chose Multi-timbral.

Insert Multi output version of Omnisphere. Open the mixer and click the little + sign 7 times on the channel strip.

Select all the Aux channel strips and Control-click on one of them. Choose Create Track.

Select all your Omni tracks in the tracks area by selecting the original instrument and then shift-clicking on the last aux.

Choose Track > Create Stack Track....

Make sure you route the different patches in Omnisphere to the different outputs. Out A-H.

235378788_MutiAux.png.12b3119799cb377e185d2cd7741a8c08.png

Thanks Eric, this has worked well! I laid down 8 basic tracks in seconds! Workflow is back ;) One more question before, how does the recording track selection work for all 8 tracks? I noticed there are only two record buttons, one on the Master Track and one on the first Aux.

Very happy :)

2030919510_ScreenShot2013-09-01at10_43_23PM.png.b9916eda24a1ba1a7d7a71405ce5afe6.png

• 1 month later...

The way I do it is that you don't use the mute/solo buttons on the track, but highlight the regions you want solo'd or muted and hit S or M respectively.

It solo or mute those selected regions only, rather than all the tracks in that multi-timbral instance

Hi all,

Eric, I have been following your posts. Thank you.

Unless I made a mistake, is there is no way to run (In my case Maschine) a track stack with auxiliaries as you described but without using the multi-outpit from Maschine and have independent "MUTE" and "SOLO" on each track (Aux) without it affecting all of them?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Create a new instrument track. You do not need to chose Multi-timbral.

Insert Multi output version of Omnisphere. Open the mixer and click the little + sign 7 times on the channel strip.

Select all the Aux channel strips and Control-click on one of them. Choose Create Track.

Select all your Omni tracks in the tracks area by selecting the original instrument and then shift-clicking on the last aux.

Choose Track > Create Stack Track....

Make sure you route the different patches in Omnisphere to the different outputs. Out A-H.

Hej Eric congratulation and thank you very mutch.I tried so hard to solve this function, and not find it.

• 4 years later...
Hello everybody, I am having this issue organizing my Multitimbral instruments, it appeared that Eric's solution was what I needed but now when I click on the Create Track Stack there are two options, (Folder or Summing) one which creates a VCA and the other that creates an AUX... neither of which condense the multitimbral instrument with its respective aux tracks. I know this post is old so perhaps Apple has changed some things in Logic. It seems in Eric's solution the Track Stack option automatically stacked eventing onto the instrument itself, which is ideal, but I can't seem to stack them without Logic creating the additional Aux or VCA track along with the multitimbral instrument track. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!