How to achieve synthy percussive sound from filtered drums?

Hi!

I've listened to this intro of a Cocteau Twins song called 'A Kissed Out Red Floatboat', and I'm interested in learning the process to perform that sound.

Here you can hear it yourselves:

I've read up about it and the guitarist from the band, Robin Guthrie, explains briefly in an interview how he achieved it: 

No synths, it's all guitars and smoke and mirrors. The sort of synthy percussive sound that runs all the way through and is all on its own in the intro is a bunch of filtered delays triggered from the drums. I used a Lexicon PCM70 for this (same with the 'synth' rhythm thing on Blue Bell Knoll). [http://www.robinguthrie.com/interviews/equipment-notes.php]

I'm not sure about that first part about no synths. I guess what he's saying is that he made the synthy percussive sound by filtering the drums.

If you leave the intro, and move on to about 0:28 in the video above, I guess what we're hearing is a mix of the drums and the filtering of the very same? 

Does anyone understand whats happening here?

It could mean various things but basically he's triggering that digital-sounding sound effect using some drum tracks. It really doesn't tell you much because you don't know what kind of equipment he's using or how it's routed or anything. This is the sound stuff that you typically stumbled upon by accident after routing the wrong track to the wrong destination. Happy accidents. Someone had the talent to make the decision to keep it in the final track rather than ditch it.