New iMacs released today by Apple

is it just inaccessible without heatgun or soldered?

Heatgun assuming the internal design is the same as previous iMacs, but I don't think we'll know for sure until iFixit get their hands on one. Removing the screen to get at the memory is not something I personally would undertake.

As long as people pay $600 for such upgrades, the more they will sell it, and the higher they will sell it. The greatest shame is that the Apple userbase isn't making a bigger noise about this - because the Apple markup is just ludicrous.

It's not right to bend your loyal users over a barrel, expecting them to make compromises with over-inflated upgrades which MUST be done at the point of initial sale.

It's just nail after nail that they want to bang in, and i'm sick of it. Love their products, love the software, but i got so many machines to maintain in a business sense that when you compare the price of a single RAM upgrade is the same as buying an off the shelf i7 Win machine, it really sucks from an accountancy viewpoint.

I've just got this Apple fanboy mentality so ingrained with me, that no matter how much i use a windows machine (And enjoy it), i just miss using an Apple product. But they can't dine out on that forever...

Can they? ..or is there no hope for me now? lol

Oh, but xeon's have always been a class above. That's why the 2012 Mac Pro's still score so well despite their age.

Not that i'm a xeon user of course... no no, that'd be bias! :)

It does amaze me how they get so much power in those imac pro's and maintain thermals. I saw my first one just before Christmas and was shocked at how thin it is, ok so it tapers towards the stand. But really, totally amazing design, i did fall in love and a friend was doing video editing on it - looked lovely, and his office was neat... It was everything i'm not lol :)

All mac hardware related issue's i've had in the past were all with imacs, so i stay clear as being burnt in the past.. But man, you cannot deny the brilliance of them from a design/conceptual viewpoint. I'm very very tempted by these 2019 models just to have one as an admin machine, i hear they improved since 2015 and my only experience was pre that period.

I know. But you can swap the RAM yourself on the new iMacs.

Anyway, their price stunts are just ridiculous.

no swapping ram on the 21" imacs...

Oh well, just looked that up and you're right. Absolutely ridiculous. There's exactly zero reason why this shouldn't be possible others than Apples excessive greed.

no swapping ram on the 21" imacs...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191#note

* Memory is not removable by users on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), iMac (21.5-inch, 2017), iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017), and iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019). If the memory in one of these computers needs repair service, contact an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you’d like to upgrade the memory in one of these models, an Apple Authorized Service Provider can help. Before you schedule an appointment, confirm that the specific Apple Authorized Service Provider offers memory upgrade services.

not easily, heatgun to the rescue.

yeah, so are RAM prices.

on 27", 21.5" is a pain in the ass.

at least on the mini you don't need a heatgun

got my 21" imac; clean installed everything (a nightmare with the plugins, of course... and a few still to go). love the screen, the speed; miss pinching in & out in logic, something i did constantly with my MBP trackpad.

am back to work tomorrow, will see how things go. am hoping to not get glitches or stalls in larger projects (an occasional thing on my MBP).

just mentioning!

nice, sounds good. Why don't you get a magic trackpad to go with kb and mouse? I bought an external one because i was so used to navigating with it on the laptop

i might. i already got a backlit keyboard (imperfect, but i work a lot at night).. so far, mousing seems fine; will see how things go.