Do you: A. Power down or B. put your computer to sleep?

I suppose I'm a little gun-shy when it comes to putting my mac to sleep. I used to do it all the time. Then my PPC Quad blew it's power supply while it was waking up from sleep. Apple fixed it free but what a pain. It turns out that waking from sleep is often when that happens to those G5 machines. That was 6 months ago and I've never put it to sleep since. I just shut down.

I shut it down at the end of the day. And I restart every time I reconnect my FW interface (after I come back from going portable) in order to have it recognize it smoothly, etc. No problems here, and quick as can be.

From what I understand, shutting down is better over the long haul for the drive and system.

Sleep. My 'puter never has a problem waking up. I'll leave mine on/sleeping for days/weeks at a time. No problems. Energy saver settings are all "never".

Occasionally I'll reboot my 2408 because it'll develop a DC offset problem if it's on for too long. That's about it tho.

Sleep. My 'puter never has a problem waking up. I'll leave mine on/sleeping for days/weeks at a time. No problems. Energy saver settings are all "never".

Occasionally I'll reboot my 2408 because it'll develop a DC offset problem if it's on for too long. That's about it tho.

Hey Ski,

Is the 2408 Firewire/PCI card? Is that an issue as to whether it's ok or not?

Does anyone know where this suggestion first came about?

I assume the energy options thing is to ensure that it doesn't go to sleep as you are working/listening/mixing down.

I thought there used to be issues when sleeping though, in general.

And I'm not talking about my old production partner.

Always sleeping in the studio. :x

Hey Ski,

LOL re your studio partner. :lol:

Yeah, the 2408 is PCI-e (MOTU 424 PCI-e card). Power cycling the 2408 to get rid of DC offset was something I just tried on my own based on my (little) knowledge of how DACs work. Seems to solve the problem just about every time. My 2408 is pretty old so I'm not surprised that it's doing this. But I don't think that DC offset is a problem with 2408's in general.

These days I check for DC offset in all tracks that I print (via my board & 2408) and if there's DC, removing it almost always makes that track sound clearer. I try to remember to remove DC offset before I listen to any mix that I print via the board/2408 too. And if I forget to do this the first time, removing DC offset afterwards -- if there is any in there -- makes the mix sound clearer.

Edited by ski

Hey Ski,

LOL re your studio partner. :lol:

Yeah, the 2408 is PCI-e (MOTU 424 PCI-e card). Power cycling the 2408 to get rid of DC offset was something I just tried on my own based on my (little) knowledge of how DACs work. Seems to solve the problem just about every time. My 2408 is pretty old so I'm not surprised that it's doing this. But I don't think that DC offset is a problem with 2408's in general.

These days I check for DC offset in all tracks that I print (via my board & 2408) and if there's DC, removing it almost always makes that track sound clearer. I try to remember to remove DC offset before I listen to any mix that I print via the board/2408 too. And if I forget to do this the first time, removing DC offset afterwards -- if there is any in there -- makes the mix sound clearer.

Whoops.. I guess I wasn't too clear with what I meant.

I was still referring to the sleep issue. Not the DC offset.

I can't put my Macbook to sleep.

When I do, I get one of two errors:

- you disconnected a USB device (or something related to that)

- you unmounted a hard drive that was in use

I either:

- leave everything on (like David, if I'm going to be using it for a day or so, I'll turn it off)

- I turn it off

- zevo

sleepy sleep......

i read a long time ago that the power surge involved in booting from cold can cause premature death in computers.....

and that (unlike humans with hangovers and only 2 hours sleep before work), waking from sleep represents less of a jolt to the system

i only reboot when crashing necessitates, although i run onyx to cleanup on a semi-regular basis...this requires that the computer be restarted after various optimizations...this is a recommended practice for all those who don't shut down...keeps your system optimized and smooooth

this is one of those kinda debates that you'll never get a definitive answer on, especially with todays electronics.

In the past...it was indeed true that the power surges from constantly turning things on and off caused damage. Does that happen today? I don't think so.

but, why leave your hard drives spinning at full tilt if you're not using them (let's not make this a 'green' issue...there's no winning that one..).

I never put my system to sleep....I will activate the screen saver if I'm going to away for more than an hour or so, and I'll do a complete shutdown if I'm away more than 6-8 hrs.

MORE IMPORTANT is the order in which you turn things on/off, imvho. For me:

ON:

-all drives first, let them get up to speed.

-Midi Interface, audio interface, hardware synths, etc.

-Power up computer and log in

-THEN turn on the speakers.

OFF: reverse above.

I also think, even if you leave all your stuff on all the time, that it's a good idea to powercycle the computer once in a while, just to clear out the gremlins :) It's amazing how much stuff 'fixes' itself with a reboot...

I have read in many manuals to set your Mac's energy saving prefs to never sleep in the system prefs, but what about 'putting it to sleep' at the end of the day vs. powering down?

Thanks

Manuals of what equipment? Audio I/O?

That is the issue I'm trying to figure.

Whether current cards & drives will have issues with sleeping... concerning Audio production.

I keep my MBP sleep-free all day, unless it's running on battery... Then sleep kicks in after 20 mins of inactivity.

As I use it with both on-board and firewire audio interfaces, I shut it down when I'm going to the studio. I also shut down overnight, but that's more to do with saving electricity - I also hard power down things like my TV overnight.

If I'm going out to meetings or such like (I'm a freelance web-designer), I always get the apps up and running before I leave the house and then sleep the Mac. Means everything's up and running right away.

Weirdly, I *never* let the Mac sleep if Logic is running. I guess this is because I use it in so many different situations and circumstances that it's best to get into the habit of keeping it awake. It would be disasterous if the power lead came out in a gig and it went to sleep in the middle of a long track...

Here's the thing. According to my good lady wife - who is a complete and utter Mac expert - you should actually leave Macs running overnight because THAT'S when they secretly do all their internal housekeeping. If you (like me, I'm afraid!) power down at the end of a day's work and power up again in the morning, your Mac won't be able to tidy itself up - maximising memory and clearing processing paths efficiently. So it just won't run as well.

I don't know whether it'll do this in sleep mode. Perhaps.

Anyway, it all seems odd to me - and I too worry about hard drive wear / overheating - so that's why I ignore her.

But I ignored her about that milk going off last week and I regret that too now. Oh.

Robin

Here's the thing. According to my good lady wife - who is a complete and utter Mac expert - you should actually leave Macs running overnight because THAT'S when they secretly do all their internal housekeeping. If you (like me, I'm afraid!) power down at the end of a day's work and power up again in the morning, your Mac won't be able to tidy itself up - maximising memory and clearing processing paths efficiently. So it just won't run as well.

I don't know whether it'll do this in sleep mode. Perhaps.

Anyway, it all seems odd to me - and I too worry about hard drive wear / overheating - so that's why I ignore her.

But I ignored her about that milk going off last week and I regret that too now. Oh.

Robin

yes its made this way because computers are never suppose to be turned on and off alot. they are suppose to run all day and night

.....According to my good lady wife - who is a complete and utter Mac expert - you should actually leave Macs running overnight because THAT'S when they secretly do all their internal housekeeping. If you (like me, I'm afraid!) power down at the end of a day's work and power up again in the morning, your Mac won't be able to tidy itself up - maximising memory and clearing processing paths efficiently. So it just won't run as well..

But you can run those cleaning tasks, which are set to run automatically at something like 3.30am, whenever you like with utility apps like Onyx or MacJanitor.

I always switch everything off when I'm not using it & run the clean-up tasks with MacJanitor at the end of each day.