Which version of OS X is most stable with Logic?

I just ordered a Mac Pro 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem”.

I am currently using an iMac w/OS 10.5.8 and Logic 9.1.5. Everything is very stable on my old system, however, on my new system I have to either use Lion which will be installed on my new Mac Pro or I can wipe the drive and install Snow Leopard and update to the most stable version for use with Logic.

I have read about some issues with Lion and Logic but most people seem to find stability with SL and Logic.

What combination of OS version and Logic version would you recommend for reliability and stability?

Would it be best to just go with the latest version of Lion and the latest version of Logic?

+1000 with what triplets said.

Ski, looking at your sig you are on 9.1.5 with OS 10.6.8. How's that working out for you as I have a backup of v9.1.5 and v9.1.6 is no longer available?

Oh, sorry, I am indeed on 9.1.5. It's working great! OSX 10.6.8 + Logic 9.1.5 is the most stable combination of OS and Logic I've ever used. Never crashes. The only thing that's a bit wonky is the 32-bit bridge (that crashes all the time).

+1000 with what triplets said.

Ski, looking at your sig you are on 9.1.5 with OS 10.6.8. How's that working out for you as I have a backup of v9.1.5 and v9.1.6 is no longer available?

Oh, sorry, I am indeed on 9.1.5. It's working great! OSX 10.6.8 + Logic 9.1.5 is the most stable combination of OS and Logic I've ever used. Never crashes. The only thing that's a bit wonky is the 32-bit bridge (that crashes all the time).

And, FWIW, 9.1.6 is the same for me. Even when I leave to get a cup of coffee and come back, I may find the Bridge crashed. I guess that guy lives life to the extreme, even when idling.

Thanks Ski!

It's my understanding that the 32-bit bridge is only necessary/used for 3rd party plug-ins that are 32 bit but you want to use them in 64 bit mode, is that correct? In other words, if I'm using only Logic instruments everything should run smooth in 64 bit, is this correct?

Watch out, because some of the new Macs will refuse to install anything older than Lion. I managed to trick my Summer 2011 MacBook Pro into downgrading to 10.6.8, but it took some work. Here is how I did that:

http://www.mattmayfieldmusic.com/blog/2011/08/downgrading-a-mid-2011-macbook-pro-to-osx-10-6-8-snow-leopard/

Thanks for your reply and the warning Matt.

I was able to install Snow Leopard with no problems.