Getting "Sudden Motion Sensor" warning on Mac Pro

Lately I keep getting this warning, that is supposed to happen for laptops, on my Mac Pro desktop.

Don't know how to attach the screen shot to this post, but it's warning that the

"Sudden Motion Sensor may have parked the hard drive head..." etc.

Anyone getting this or know what to do? Gives me an option to click 'Continue' or 'More info'

'More info' brings me to Apple support page, but it's talking about portable computers and older OS's.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934

Tried the suggestion for OSX 10.6, but I got a warning in Terminal and aborted.

Want to be sure of what I'm doing.

I've gotten this warning before, but I dont exactly remember what I did to fix it. I think running Disk warrior fixed the problem. If you dont have Disk warrior, try running disk utility on your boot drive and see if you get an "Invalid directory count error." I think this was causing my "sudden motion sensor" warnings and running disk warrior fixed it.

p.s. this happened on my mac pro as well (specs below)

Lately I keep getting this warning, that is supposed to happen for laptops, on my Mac Pro desktop.

Don't know how to attach the screen shot to this post, but it's warning that the

"Sudden Motion Sensor may have parked the hard drive head..." etc.

Do you have the MacPro close to a vibrating source like a big speaker or a subwoofer? I use my MacBookPro live on stages and have to turn off the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) when I play, since I play back tracks in Mainstage and I got audio drops when the stage is vibrating.

You can check, turn on/off the Sudden Motion Sensor with the following commands in terminal. (password is your login password)

CHECK Sudden Motion Sensor status

sudo pmset -g

TURN OFF Sudden Motion Sensor status

sudo pmset -a sms 0

TURN ON Sudden Motion Sensor status

sudo pmset -a sms 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried turning of Sudden Motion Sensor and not sure it that is doing it.

The problem seemed to go away after I removed a backup internal drive that went bad,

but just tonight working on a mix it has started up again with these warning interruptions.

This is becoming a serious work flow problem.

Any other suggestions.

If it continues I will have to take my Mac Pro in for a diagnostic, but would rather not

be w/o for that long.

I've gotten this warning before, but I dont exactly remember what I did to fix it. I think running Disk warrior fixed the problem. If you dont have Disk warrior, try running disk utility on your boot drive and see if you get an "Invalid directory count error." I think this was causing my "sudden motion sensor" warnings and running disk warrior fixed it.

p.s. this happened on my mac pro as well (specs below)

DId you try this?

I just did a file check and did a "Repair Permissions" my main drive, restarted, opened a Logic session, pressed play and immediately got the warning interruption.

Is there a more involved Disk Warrior thing I should do?

I have version 4.1. Updating now and can run it again,

if you think 4.4 will do better.

I have all my L9 sessions on a 2nd internal "Work" drive (1TB), which has 299GB space left.

Main drive I don't work on and has 650GB out of 750 space left, so plenty on both.

L9 software in on the main drive.

Noticed that this post ended up in "The Control Room", when it is actually a Logic issue.

I put "Mac Pro" in the subject only because this "motion sensor" thing is only supposed to happen

with Laptops.

I have used Pro Tools and Final Cut and don't get this warning interruption. Only get it in Logic.

Can this be moved to the Logic forum?

Perhaps there will be more users to chime in on this post if it were in there.

• 7 months later...

This thing puzzles me:

I got 2 Western Digital MyBook Harddrives one new and one old (ca 2009/2010) when i run heavy projects from the new one i constantly get SMS messages, so much that it makes it impossible to work.

However, when i run it from my old one, i get no such messages. Everything runs smootly...

So i've always thought the SMS messages had something to do with the external Harddrives...but reading this it has to do with my laptop itself.

So...

could this have anything to do with the WD SmartWare software?

• 1 month later...

I've just started getting the sms message as well.

Googled and disabled sms. My audio drive is a stripped set of 3 seagate barracuda's 1.5tb total with about 1tb free, running on an apple raid card in my MacPro1,1. everything else runs from the boot disk which is about half free. I've been doing tests recording 16 tracks at 48k and nothing else in the project. I disabled journaling on the drive (and the speed actually decreased when testing with black magic's Disk Speed Test) but still get about 135MB/s write, 209MB/s read.

at 48K x 16 tracks x 24 bit, i believe that's only 2.3MB/s ?!?!? WTF I should be able to do about a 80 tracks!

anyway, any new thoughts?

2033141316_ScreenShot2013-01-30at1_26_42AM.png.11615fd8734a94a6fdd208adee406e1d.png

• 2 weeks later...

i never have seen this warning until yesterday, the first day using a UAD-2 card and UAD-2 plug-ins. I've had my computer parked near my subwoofer and never had a problem before. I do notice that the problem seems to occur when very low tones are played but, as I have said, I used to have my sub next to my computer and never had a problem. I am using the most recent MacPro. I've turned the sensor off in terminal but it seems to be doing nothing.

Oh, and although it occurs only when the low tones are produced in the relevant track, it happens even with the monitors muted.