MS 2.2 inputs not stereo [SOLVED]

ensho

Hello again,

..with the next challenge / problem I have in MS 2.2.

When using it in conjunction with a MOTU ultralite mk3, input channels 5-6 and 7-8 won't be received in stereo by MS. Input 3-4 will.

- I updated the MOTU driver.

- I ran MS 2.12 from an external hd (without turning the MOTU off in between or changing anything) and everything worked flawless.

- I ran MS 2.12 from an external hd (without turning off or changing any setting in my MOTU) with MacOS 10.6.6 and everything worked. (My Motu isn't bus-powered.)

- Under 10.6.8 and MS 2.2, I tried different default concerts, added a stereo audio channelstrip and in all of them my stereo signal was received in mono (and showed up in mono in the channel strip meters ( = two identical meters left and right). Input 3-4 works flawless in stereo.

- I reset channel strips from stereo to mono and back to stereo without effect.

- I checked on the MOTU and its CueMix settings (stereo, width). I don't manipulate the signal in CueMix. Fx, EQ, compressors etc are all bypassed.

- In the CueMix software, the meter shows a stereo signal (= different levels left and right). When I send the signal out directly with the CueMix software, I get a stereo signal.

- I checked cables.

- I used different stereo input sources.

I use a MacBookPro, and I use MS in 32bit mode.

Any input or suggestions are welcome. I hope it is only my incapability...

Cheers,

ensho

ensho,

I don't have an answer for you but I can confirm I'm having the same darn issue as you.

I happen to be using a Profire 2626 interface, and no matter what I do, troubleshooting in much the same way as you, The audio inputs for an external instrument are always in mono. I select stereo, but only the left channel has any effect. This is the first post I read that addresses this issue, I will continue to search and see if there is an answer/explanation.

I'm sorry to hear that, keyoardist1. And I'm sorry to hear that the chance of this problem being structural seem to increase. So, if anyone is using a Profire 2626 or a MOTU ultralite mk3 with MS 2.2 without stereo troubles, please let us know. I'd so much rather be told that I'm incapable than that my software is...

By the way, keyboardist1, your signature says you're on OS 10.5.8. I guess you've since updated to install MS 2.2?

Cheers,

ensho

Thanks for the info, CCT Music. I was afraid that it would be a bug, which seems to be the case. I filed a bug report on the Mainstage feedback site.

To correct what i wrote earlier: none of the inputs of my MOTU is received in stereo. They all come in as mono signals.

To me, this makes Mainstage 2.2 useless at this point.

Cheers,

ensho

Whew, while this is unacceptable and the problem is not fixed, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I spent a full day searching on the web for answers and found not a hint of this issue till I came to this forum. It's unbelievable that there is only one thread on the internet about this issue. Kind of a big deal, no? Ensho, good that you sent a message to the mainstage feedback site, although apple is not always the best in addressing these things directly. I would hope that they get on this pronto. While it's all well and good for guitarists and vocalists using mono input signals, this is no good for routing external keys/modules etc into Mainstage for processing.

Here's hopping this gets fixed quickly.

SF

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here. For me, I'm going to create two mono channels panned left and right, sent to an Aux channel where I can control their volume with a single fader.

Details in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79922&p=414281#p414241

In my setup, I'm sending stereo audio from Logic via Jack OSX as a backing track. The Playback plug is not enough for my needs so I need another audio source. I also want midi sequencing so that's why I'm augmenting MS.

I have not tried a stereo feed directly from my audio interface...those inputs into MS in my setup are all mono microphones. I will try that and let you know if my Presonus FP10 does the same thing as the MOTU and M-Audio listed above.

Ed

I can confirm that my Presonus FP10 does the same thing as the other interfaces listed above. Removing Jack OSX from the equation, the inputs 5-6 into Mainstage results in the input being summed to mono.

This is a Mainstage problem, not an interface problem.

I posted earlier today (I did not find this post searching the forum) about the details of my situation, and my setup : viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79922

In a nutshell, I'm using Jack OSX to deliver audio from Logic in stereo. This is where I noticed the problem yesterday.

In order to isolate this to MS, I sent stereo audio from iTunes through Jack into MS, it was summed to mono.

Some of my tests:

iTunes -> Jack OSX ->Cubase = Stereo

iTunes -> Jack OSX ->Reason = Stereo

iTunes -> Jack OSX ->Logic = Stereo

iTunes -> Jack OSX ->Mainstage = Mono

Logic -> Jack OSX -> Mainstage = Mono

iPhone -> FP10 (5-6) -> Mainstage = Mono

Mainstage is the failure.

Ensho,

Sorry forgot to update signature. Logic 9.1.6, Mainstage 2.2, OS 10.7.2, MacBook Pro Intel Core i7, 2.2 GHz, 8gb ram, Profire 2626, Motu 838mkII, Motu Ultralite, Firewire 410

Still same problems on ALL audio interfaces, so I'm assuming it has to be a mainstage issue. Hope they issue an update relatively soon.

Hello everybody,

i have the same problem.

I used MS for quite a while with internal Instruments and had no problems so far... but:

i tried to connect my old Wavestation yesterday and was shocked. It took me the hole evening just to figure, it must be a bug.

i`m using a focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp interface (just to add one more to the list...). None of the input-pairs were accepted as stereo in MS. I checked everything 10 times (also the interface`s internal routing) - no success.

Although the "mono-input-workaround" mentioned above seems ok, this is not acceptable for me.

Apple needs to fix this bug as fast as the can! This is a MAJOR bug - not a minor one!

I still have a copy of MS 2.1.3 - i will try it out this evening an post the result.

Hi, it's me again.

I tried the previous version of MS 2.1.3 at a friend, who's lucky enough to own Logic Studio Bundle. All the audio-problems were solved! We created an "external Instrument" the normal way, hooked up my Wavestation and everything worked as expected - Stereo! It IS a BIG bug in MS 2.2 which Apple needs to solve immediately!!

We discovered more problems related to MS 2.2!

1) you cannot open a concert (created or changed in MS 2.2) in MS 2.1.3!

2) The earlier mentioned "workaround" with the mono-channel-panning did not work: Mainstage 2.2 has another bug related to this! When you pan to the left, you hear the mono-sound louder. When you pan to the right, you hear nothing!

3) The CPU-usage meter shows higher activity than in MS 2.2. (I don't really know if this is a bug... this was tested on 2 MBPs purchased in spring 2011)

My advice for now: Stay with MS 2.1.3 if you can. (you need the Logic Studio Bundle for this!)

MS 2.2 is not ready yet! Apple needs to fix a couple of things. (IMHO since Steve passed away, things are getting worse and worse)

regards!

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I am seeing the same problem with Mainstage 2.2 using a MOTU 896mk1. I never had a chance to try out 2.1.3 but now am wondering if I can go backwards after purchasing 2.2.

I am very surprised by this - I've been a Mac guy since 1984 and this is one of the few times I can recall that a software update killed a feature from a prior version.

• 3 months later...