Instruments at Set Level

Rhodes54

Been over the manual and the forum(s). I can't seem to get this:

i want to create certain instruments at the Set Level and then add in other instruments at the patch level.

That way, I'd have a Piano Set, an Organ Set, a Wurly Set, etc and then add new Patches with other instruments as needed.

e.g. Have a "Piano" set, wherein the piano CS is at the Set level and then create a Patch within that set with a Strings CS.

When I create the patch, the strings in the Patch don't sound. If I click "Override parent ranges", the strings sound but the piano doesn't.

If I wanted to split the instruments, it's fine. I just can't figure out how to layer them.

Am I missing something stupidly obvious?

Thanks!

Sounds like you are trying to do this all on one keyboard controller, or are you using two (or more ) controllers?

What you want to do should be easy with two controllers, a little more complex (but I think possible) with one. Would help to know before offering possible solution(s).

When I create the patch, the strings in the Patch don't sound. If I click "Override parent ranges", the strings sound but the piano doesn't.

If I wanted to split the instruments, it's fine. I just can't figure out how to layer them.

Am I missing something stupidly obvious?

!

Hi

No.. this is how Instrument channels at Set level (or Concert level) behave when you have one keyboard controller. As Doug Z suggests, one solution would be to use 2 controllers, but this might not suit the basic concept of layering two patches.

As an alternative, you could simply create the Patches with Instrument channels as required:

Patch A Piano

Patch B Piano + Pad

You might do better to explore the use of "Alias" channel strips: Copy a Strip, the use "Edit:Paste as Alias: in another Patch. This would save having multiple instances within a Concert:

Patch A Piano (make an Alias of the Piano Strip)

Patch B Piano Alias + Pad

CCT

I don't put instruments at the set level.

I have a "set" where I put patches that I copy as alias to individual patches, were I layer like you want to all the time... so that approach works. the other thing I do is take (for example) piano channel strip that later gets aliased, and send it to a bus. in the actual patch where I paste as alias, I also put an audio channel strip that "picks up" that bus, and EQ, effects etc are local to that channel strip/patch. this way... one piano patch, can be used many different ways throughout a concert.

• 1 month later...

@Rhodes54

Try this:

1. Even though you only use one controller go to the Layout pane (cmd-1) and create one more keyboard object (two in total)

2. Assign them both to your hardware input device.

3. For convenience you could name them "Set key" and "Patch Key"

4. Now for you "set" instruments use "set key" as midi input, for your patch overlays use "patch key"

I tried this quickly with one set and two patches, it seems to behave as you required.

If for a specific patch you want the to quiet the "set" sound, exploit the MS behaviour and use "set key" for this patch.

• 2 years later...

Hello

I have define a concert with 2 x kbd that has 4 x layers each

The volume of those 8 x layers will be controlled by an externat controller

Now for each song I want to define the sound that they will use

The manual says you can "Override concert-" :

- In the Channel Strip Inspector, select the Layer Editor.

- Select the “Override parent ranges” checkbox.

- The “Override parent ranges” checkbox is available only if there is a concert- or set-level channel strip.

This does not work, to get the check box you have a little box under the ^ arrow and the down arrow

So I have manage to check the boxes, but it does not do what it should do.

Say at the concert level I have:

- layer "exs24" and " sculpture"

If for the patch one I set other instruments, the concert level is changed

If for the patch two I set other instruments, patch one AND the concert level are changed

Why do I want to use this :

I want to be able to control all the instruments level from an external midi controller