Psychedelia & Music Making

I cannot condone the use of any mind altering substances..BUT FOR SCIENCE , I have tried to enter a parallel dimension and at the same time produce music and what happens is I just make outer space noises in the es2 or massive and i mess around with the panning alot to get the sweeping from monitor to monitor sound going..nothing really productive came out of it

Hi!

Some of the greatest music of all time was inspired by psychedelic, hallucinogenic substances; This I know.

But– generally, is this music made while on a trip? Or rather, simply inspired by the trip and written afterwards?

Thanks for sharing your experience! ^^

That's exactly what the Beatles intent was with the Revolver album.

The trip (my first) felt very, very mathematical in that things would divide, a lot of the imagery would be recursive, fractal-like images where something was part of itself was part of itself was part of itself infinitely, I became fascinated by how there are ∞ numbers between 1 and 2 yet somehow also ∞ numbers between 1 and 3, etc. etc.

I don't think I could've actually made music while on it, though I certainly had a lot of ideas. It contributed very much to glitchy music, flexing, and resampling- create a melody line, have it build, oscillate between two notes, increase the tempo to the point that it formulates another note entirely, sample that into EXS24, add a ton of modulation, create a new piece from the resampled synth- the music in my head when I stopped actually listening to music was very, very much based on sounds becoming other sounds.

Was fun!

*I would never condone using psychedelic substances as they're bad because world governments say so and everybody knows the government never lies. Don't do drugs, kiddies!

Was music made for psychedelyuh, or were the -substances- created for the musicaliuh? I don't know and right now i'm not interested in prolonged research projects. I will say this tho, i once wrote a short melody whilst -high- on a fever and no not a dance fever, and while it wasn't a psychedelic substance the vicks vapo rub and the bacterial induced temperature spike (i would like to believe) were the fusion for what turned out to be a pretty decent note sequence.

I'm Tshh and i'm sincere.

Take care. :|

• 4 weeks later...