Track stack freezing

volition

A pretty obvious idea but maybe this would be a time-saving option to freezing tracks individually,* enough to have some impact on workflow. I.e. when freezing, I'm thinking Logic would just bounce the stack track soloed, then disable every plug-in used by the track stack itself and nested tracks. I'm thinking to signify it's frozen state, you wouldn't be able to navigate past it and into the stack unless you unfroze it, or you would, but everything nested would be greyed out or something. It would be particularly useful if combined with the idea about deeper nesting of track stacks.

*: Depending on how Logic handles freezing of multiple tracks at once. It seems like the time freezing takes is proportionate to the number of tracks you freeze in some way. Does Logic do a pass for each track? Or does it freeze them all concurrently, but just take longer because there's more to process?

• 1 year later...

As a follow-up to this, I have been trying to find workarounds. The only one I have found is to solo a stack, bounce the whole project, add the bounced file to the project and manually bypass all plug-ins used while making a chart of which were(n't) engaged. I'm a UAD user and this is the only way I have found to free UAD DSP resources. I was hoping you could just power off the stack (powers off all nested tracks) and it would bypass everything, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to work around this quickly that still retains the information in the stack, i.e. settings, regions, etc, that would be great. The best I can think of is making alternatives where I bounce replace all tracks, then going back to past alternatives and reworking whatever I have into stems that are then imported into the newer alternative... the problem with that is that as projects change, even just structurally, it's something of a guessing game.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on this. I am running into the same trouble working with a Logic project and UAD dsp running out. I have various dsp intensive plugs (OceanWay for example) on the Track Stack with three instruments routed to it from sub tracks with minimal processing. When I go to freeze them (there is no freeze option I can find for the main stack track itself) I get "Frozen" Audio, but it doesn't have all the processing I rendered on it via the track stack. So I can't bypass any of the plugs on the Stack. I guess the work-around is duplicating the plugin chain from the track stack onto each of the sub tracks and freezing them there, but that really seems clunky and defeats the idea of using a summing bus (track stack or group) in the first place. :?

Am I missing something or is this really the only workflow?