Capture Last Take creating take folder [10.2.2]

RusticM

I'm having some strange behavior in the latest Logic Update [10.2.2] when I use "Capture Last Take." Instead of a single MIDI region (which is what I've always gotten in previous versions), sometimes Logic creates a MIDI take folder instead, usually consisting of 2 takes, with the lowest (original) being what I played, and the second (upper take) being a cluster of all the notes I've played but clustered at the same time at the very end of the region. I'm still trying to figure out how to replicate this consistently. Has anyone seen anything like this?

-Curtis

I can not confirm this myself just by using Capture as Recording.

There have been several reports about this issue so there must be something that is triggering it.

Let''s try to pinpoint the exact problem.

• Which Software Instrument do you use when this happens?
  • What are the Recording settings for MIDI set to?
  • Do you use an external MIDI device to input your notes or do you use the Musical Typing Keyboard?
  • Can you replicate this behaviour on a vanilla Empty Project created in Logic Pro X 10.2.2?

Thanks Eric,

Of course, now that I'm trying, I cannot get this behavior to happen again, in either the project that this was occurring on yesterday, nor a blank one.

- When I was working on a Logic file yesterday, I was experiencing this behavior on many different types of Software Instruments (Play, Ample Guitar, Kontakt)

- I use a Mackie Control as my interface, with a Yamaha MIDI controller

- The MIDI recording settings are: MIDI No Cycle: Overlap. Cycle: Merge Current Recording Only

This seems to be related to the fact that, on my system, "Capture As Recording" works whether or not Logic is playing. In other words, if the sequencer is playing, and I hit CAPTURE AS RECORDING, then a region appears exactly as expected with my notes as played. If the sequencer is stopped, and I play any notes, and hit CAPTURE AS RECORDING, then a region appears wherever the playhead was when I played those notes, containing all the notes played lined up exactly (regardless of the timing I might have used when playing them), but with a length of 0 0 0 1. The behavior I've been getting (inconsistently, and now frustratingly not repeatable) is that the first take will include any notes I've played while the sequence is playing, and the second take will include any notes played while the sequencer has stopped, but before I hit CAPTURE AS RECORDING.

Alright, I see that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Jeff Marsh posted here about the same problem:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123576

I think I've been able to figure this out a little more. Here's how I've been able to make the repeatable, and there are TWO separate issues that we're having - adding to the confusion.

Issue one is that Logic somehow records notes both when the sequence is playing and when it's stopped (at least on my system). This might cause some "Capture Last Take" situations where only a large group of notes appear all at the same time space. This happens if, for example, one were to start playback, play a take of music, hit stop, THEN play some additional notes, then hit "Capture last take" This sometimes will confuse Logic, and it will throw away the actual piece of MIDI that one played, and keep the most 'recent' take, which was played after the sequencer stops. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but it certainly seems a little confusing. I know with step recording it might be good to be able to play multiple notes slowly to create a chord, but I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want this functionality in "capture last take". There's more to this I'm sure - it might be my MIDI controller, or something in the environment - I need to keep checking. Also, this has been happening on my end before the most recent update - it might go all the way back to Logic Pro X.0.0, but I'm not sure. It's just never been TOO much of a problem until the second issue cropped up in this new update:

This second issue is new with the 10.2.1/(2?), which has been mentioned by me and some others, namely the take folder appearing after "Capture Last Take" I think I've figured out how to replicate this. Start the sequencer on any track, and play some notes. Stop the sequencer, then move the playhead backward to about the same starting place, and DOUBLE CLICK in the timeline to start the sequencer again, and play some additional notes, then "Capture Last Take" Logic will keep BOTH passes and put them in a take folder. (regardless of MIDI settings). In fact, if I keep repeating this, then I can get 4 or 5 or more takes packed in the folder! The key is that you have to double-click the timeline to start the second (and subsequent) passes, it doesn't work if I use the transport buttons, or any key commands/controller triggers for PLAY. On my system I can replicate this regardless of the software instrument OR the template. (I tried this on a totally clean, new document as well as my old old template.)

Now let's see if it has something to do with my MIDI interface or controller... Does this replicate for anyone else?

I tried some tests this morning and there is one consistency I can find.

If I play a few notes before I start the sequence, those notes will be crammed in at the beginning of the region. But if I hit my space bar for a couple seconds, then stop, then start again, I seem to be able to capture the sequence properly. It's as if a buffer needs to be cleared. Then again it could be just because it's Thursday. This issue seems to come and go. For me its been every other upgrade.

Another thing you can try is File/Settings/Recording there are setting for "Overlapping Recordings." I set "No Cycle" to "Overlap" instead of "Merge." This seems to minimize creating a take folder. But i'm still not confident I've solved anything.

Thanks you guys,

jm

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem this week after the update. Not only did it recreate take folders on single passes, it would place a cluster of notes on the beginning of the bar.

I was on with Apple several times Monday and Tuesday. At this point they had not had any reports of this problem so my only fix was reverting back to 10.2.1.

The only way I've found to avoid this problem is to NOT use the ruler to control playback. Much easier said than done. I've found that I only see this take-folder problem when clicking/double clicking in the ruler to control playback, then calling "Capture Last Take."

My spacebar is set to "Play from Left Locator." So I never use the ruler for starting playback, and the bug is still there. The bizarre thing about this bug, is that it seems to be different for everyone. My friend had it on 10.2.1, but not on 10.2.2. For me, just the opposite. It would be nice if Logic had a preference to disable take folders all together. The only way I'm able to avoid it, is to play the sequence at a place in the arrange window where there is no data. Then I can play from where I want and I'm able to Capture Last Take. This makes me think that this is clearing out a buffer. Not a good work-around. Just sharing in case it leads someone to the solution.

Yes, I just checked, and I can replicate the same behavior with "Play from Left Locator." I think you're right and it does seem to be something about the buffer clearing. I've found if I use "Jump To Location" (or click any transport buttons) I don't experience the bug.

The bug is not unique to 10.2.2. Has been widely reported for years. It is horrifically annoying and workflow-sucking, and Apple has done nothing.

Best workaround so far is to set MIDI overlapping regions behavior (in settings/recording) for No Cycle to "Merge."

Apple support post from 2013:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4790292?tstart=0

My own query on these boards from over year ago:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113276

Issue reported on another site:

http://www.dailymagz.casa/Logic-Pro/123918-Midi-capture-recording-creates-take-folder-instead-of-overlapping-regions

And yet another:

http://www.logic-users-group.com/forums/threads/capture-last-take-not-always-working-correctly.2915/

Ppl have been reported this bug to LP Apple support for years, and no solution despite several updates.

Nevertheless, keep reporting it:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

I've recently discovered a cause in my particular setup.

My spacebar is set to "Play from Left Locator." This has been very handy in that I can start from the same place every time in hopes of capturing that last amazing take (LOL). But this is really 2 commands in one key - "go to left locator" & "play."

If I use a different key that is just "Play", or if I click the transport, I can "Capture Last Take" as intended.

For those of you having this problem, try clicking the Play Button in the Transport and see if you can sidestep this bug.

Thanks,

jm

• 2 weeks later...

I can also verify that double clicking within the Ruler area also causes this bug for me, whereas using the play button in the transport, or by using space bar (which i have set to "Play or Stop") allows me to capture recording as intended. When the bug occurs however it doesn't always create a take folder. Sometimes it just remembers all the midi info entered whilst the transport was not running, prior to actually starting playback, and just adds all of that midi data into the same region as the midi data i intended to capture.

This bug is making me seriously have to reconsider my workflow, as i've been relying on this feature for over a decade as my standard method for recording midi, and i rarely even consider prepping the record button anymore!

• 1 month later...

Yes I'm having this same problem since updating to 10.2.2. I can replicate it 100%. I think what it is is that previously whenever I hit stop or play from 'wherever' it would clear the buffer so every time 'capture last take as recording' is hit it would just put the notes from since the last stop or play. However, now it seems to not clear the buffer so if I've been rehearsing a part and then after say 5 passes I am happy and hit 'capture last take' - it puts all the stuff from the last 5 times into the one take folder. And the notes that are bunched on top of each other at the beginning of the take are notes I hit when the transport was not in play.

It is a bug they need to fix and the only work around I've found is to 'capture last take' and then delete that before you do you thing. Highly annoying.

My workaround has been to expand the Take Folder that's been automatically created, select the take i want to keep (9 times out of 10 that's the last one), then use the Flatten command on the folder, leaving you with just the take you want. It's a couple more clicks than it used to be, but i've got so used to it in the last few months it's second nature now.

But yes, please fix Apple!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's intermittent for me. I find that if my session is full..lots of tracks ten it will happen. It's like a function of running out of resources. Yet I still have tons free memory so I really don't know why it happens to a busy session.

But it is still there in 10.2.4.