Bug - cutting with Marquee (10.3) [FIXED]

3ple

Selecting 2 or more regions in different tracks, then trying to make a straight cut (double clicking with the marquee tool selected) no longer cuts all regions, just the region that's clicked. Worked in 10.2.4 

Sucks... I use it all the time and don't really want to use the Split By Playhead shortcut. Anyone experiencing it in 10.3?

Logic 10.2.4

marquee-logic-10-2-4.gif.ce6b6d1c5ae6956014fb331e4f33dd5b.gif

Logic 10.3

marquee-logic-10-3.gif.869d65539bb7031f1661dff582d127ec.gif

Thanks

I don't think it's a bug, but a functionality change.

Gotta right click and use the scissors.

It's a bug for sure in my opinion. If it works with one region, why not with two? It always worked since Logic 9 (and maybe before that, but I only knew about the strength of the marquee tool with 9). Using the scissors when I always use the marquee for pretty much everything, is a workflow killer for me. Hope they go back to what it was... :/

Yeah I can use the marquee to draw a vertical line on all of them and then with the pointer click and that will split them. But the other method is way better and efficient. I use that a lot. I select, for example, a lot of vocal regions (lead and backvocals that all have the same starting point), then I just need to double click one of them with the marquee to cut them all. Really hope they fix it

Nooooooooooo I love to cut with marquee tool. I use it always to cut everything like more tracks like you do . Logic team do stupid things. Make Logic 10.3 ugly and blurry and now this. I am so sad now

I love the marquee tool. It's my most used tool after the pointer. I love the new interface, especially the icons, except for the font. But this marquee bug, just sucks!!!

Just don't understand why it necessary to brake simple and useful features while improving others.

Me neither, especially because it's a very useful feature. And yes, there are more improvements than "bugs" or broken features. Let's hope that this is just a bug caused by other changes in the code. It happens ;)

I think it's one of the best options the Marquee tool. Better then the scissor tool. You can do almost everything with the marquee tool, Cutting and for the Automation is good also. And i don't know if you know this? With the marquee tool you can drag and copy things from a region so cool :D. So many things I love it.

I think it's one of the best options the Marquee tool. Better then the scissor tool. You can do almost everything with the marquee tool, Cutting and for the Automation is good also. And i don't know if you know this? With the marquee tool you can drag and copy things from a region so cool :D. So many things I love it.

Yeah it's my second most used tool after the pointer. ;)

It works only like this

giphy.gif

This can be a workaround for some situations, but most of the time I zoom in my regions to a point where I only see one region or two. If I have 20 regions I want to cut at the same time, it will not work. The only effective workaround is to set a shortcut to "Split at Playhead" and work with it until Apple hopefully fixes it... soon, I hope

hmm. the screen capture i'm using is hiding my mouse ... 

I have Marquee Tool click zones enabled in preferences.

when i place my cursor on the bottom half of a track space, the marquee shows, then I just drag my desired selection and then click at the top.

In your demo video at the top, you start your drag towards the top of the track. just move your cursor a hair down, and do the exact same thing, and it will work the way you want ... 

happy to get on skype if you need more info.

when i place my cursor on the bottom half of a track space, the marquee shows, then I just drag my desired selection and then click at the top.

In your demo video at the top, you start your drag towards the top of the track. just move your cursor a hair down, and do the exact same thing, and it will work the way you want ... 

I guess we are talking about two different features. One is working (the one you're talking about, I guess) and the other one is not (the one I'm talking about). I can select a portion of a region or several regions and click on top of the selection and it splits it. The problem is when you select 2 or more regions with the pointer and then you just double click a certain spot in one of the regions and it just cuts all of them, the same way the Split By Playhead works, but in this case it's the marquee tool. 

Does it make sense?

Ah man - I wish I could figure out how to show you what I'm doing. Using the marquee tool I can select as many regions as I want and then just click in a spot and it separates them all in the same spot just like you're describing ...

No problem I will try it as soon as I end the session I'm having now :)

Ok I just tried it and as I expected we are talking about different approaches when it comes to the Marquee Tool. Try to zoom in until you don't see the left or right end of the region. If you do the way you're saying, it will split it into 3 parts. What I (and other used to do) is that you select the regions with the pointer or with Select All. Once they are selected, you use the marquee to double click somewhere in one of those regions and it will make a straight cut in all of them. It doesn't split them into different regions. It's only working for you the way you think it's supposed to, because you're dragging from outside the region and of course, one part of that selection is going to cut the region and the other one, since it's outside, will not do anything. But just try to make a single cut, without any dragging. You can't do it in 10.3

Enabling the Marquee tool zones doesn't change the way it behaves. It just activates an extra function when hovering over a region. Since I use the marquee tool as a secondary tool (when pressing CMD) the marquee tool zone is useless for me.

But thanks for trying the new approach. It's not what we all need it to do though :) Clearly a bug

Check the images below. You will see that you can't drag from outside the region. But when I double click it cuts all regions (10.2.4), but only cuts the one I clicked when using 10.3

PS - I guess you misunderstood what I was doing. When I "dragged" on my first 2 videos, I wasn't dragging with the Marquee tool, but with the Pointer, just so I could select both regions. It has nothing to do with the marquee. I just do it instead of selecting them one by one holding an extra keyboard key. Hope it makes sense ;)

gif-marquee-10.2.4.gif.d3c5a75fa65ec802214aec5471a5418a.gif

gif-bug-marquee-10.3.gif.a8fbfd60d9062b014b6f0764c695d6a7.gif

Edited by 3ple

I understand now - dang, was hoping I could be helpful.  I have a Logic 10.3 bug that has halted my workflow regarding ReWire sync ... And I've been refreshing forums every second hoping someone else has figured a workaround. 

Well, trust me: I wish you could be helpful as well so we could all see the light at the end of the tunnel lol 

The only workaround for me that kinda resembles is by adding a keyboard shortcut to Split By Playhead and use it that way for now until they fix it (hopefully).