Different Length Crossfades in Logic Pro X [FIXED in 10.0.5]

DdMMP

I have downloaded the new Logic version (Pro X 10.0.1) three days ago and there might be a bug.

My situation:

6 track (2 DPA mics + SoundField Capsule with 4 mics) audio recording of a single 'cello.

I have connected the 6 tracks for edit purposes.

When during the edit I shift one region over the other one Logic Pro 9 always made a standard Crossfade in the 6 different tracks. Worked perfectly.

In Logic Pro X the crossfades are made as well, but every crossfade is longer going from track 6 up to track 1.

In track 6 the crossfade is more or less the length I want (but already longer than where the file ends (or actually begins)). The crossfade in track 5 is longer (to the left), track 4 even longer and so forth.

Please let me know - if anyone knows - how to influence this automatic feature through preferences, because I do not know where to look anymore.

May-be it is a bug though.

See attached pictures.

Thank you!

DdMMP

Crossfades in Logic Pro 9:

1183996636_SameLengthCrossfadesinLogicPro9.thumb.jpg.b6e45625ea564aa5987ac142cb032709.jpg

In Logic Pro 9

Crossfades of different length in Logic Pro X:

1133791183_DifferentlengthCrossfadesinLogicProX.thumb.jpg.f5f6638ea45fa78e8bf61ab70422c0ec.jpg

Different length Crossfades in Logic Pro X

As you'll see around the 3 min mark in my video review of Logic X, the X-fade overlap setting does not function like it's supposed to. The Xfade overlap setting is crucial to my slip editing quantization technique. It allows me to listen to my edits with crossfades as I go. Since switching to Logic X I've had to use the Flex Time feature to edit drums, but it's not as fast as slip editing, nor is it flexible enough to be capable of editing some of the drum performances I work with.

Here's the review. again, skip to the 3 min mark to see a demonstration of the issue. Hopefully Apple will see this and will address the issue in a future update!

Cheers!

Liam Devlin

• 1 month later...

Hi People,

Does anyone have any more news on this bug? I've just discovered it. I really want to start recording with Logic X but its essential that the Xfade tool works as it is meant to. I have found that both dragging the right regions over the left regions, and vica versa, produce different length xfades.

I have also found that even using the manual fade tool to to create a xfade produces different length xfades over multiple regions.

Any news would be most helpful. There doesn't appear to be any info on this bug except here.

Thanks

Ross

Nothing new. I do find that if you select all regions and manually input a crossfade number, all regions will take on the same crossfade. If you select all the regions and move them left or right after this, they will be again be different lengths.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just spent all weekend recording an album for a 40 piece brass band on Logic Pro X 10.0.4. The bug is still there, very frustrating as a result the editing took forever, still tired from the long session. Logic's auto cross fade functionality was one of the main reasons I switched from Cubase, hopefully Apple will sort this fast!

• 4 weeks later...