A/B mixes workaround (Logic Pro 9)

3ple

Hey everybody!

Today I was trying to fix my template so I could compare my mix with a reference track. My template used to have a Pre Master bus and I would send all my tracks to that bus which had it's own track in the Arrange window, the same with the reference track (of course) and by pressing ALT/Option on the Solo button it would solo only one track at a time. The problem is that sometimes I would add another track while mixing and that track would be assigned to the default Output 1-2.

So today I was messing with my controller, trying to find the best way to create that workflow. And I found one! Hope it helps and hope it's clear to everyone here! :)

Let's say you have your reference track on track 1 and all the other tracks (your mix) from track 2 to track 20.

On your reference track, insert a Gain plugin, with the volume all the way down (no sound).

Now open your Controller Assignments window (I'm still using Logic Pro 9 so sorry if this shortcut is different in Logic Pro X)

Logic > Preferences > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments

I believe many of you know how to assign knobs, buttons and faders to a controller, but if you don't here it is:

Open you Gain plugin and click the Bypass. Then on your Controller Assignments window click Learn Mode, then press the controller pad / key you want to assign to your A/B mix comparison. Click Learn Mode again so it's disabled (sometimes it works better for me than going to the next step, so whatever works for you, go for it).

Now do the same for your Solo button on the reference track: click the Solo button, click Learn Mode, then press the controller pad / key you want to assign to your A/B mix comparison. Click Learn Mode again so it's disabled.

It will ask if you want to keep or reassign, just choose the option to keep both, since you are using the same pad / key to do 2 different actions.

Now on both "actions" you have to go down to where it says Mode (bottom right side of the Controller Assigments window) and choose Toggle. This, for both Bypass and Solo.

And you're done! If you want this to work you have to make sure that when the track is soloed, the Gain plugin is bypassed or vice versa. Another thing to remember is that the reference track needs to be selected, because the option under Channel Strip (Controller Assignments) is set to Selected Track.

Basically what it does is simple:

When the track is soloed, the plugin (which has the volume all the way down) is bypassed, so there is sound on the track.

When it's unsoloed, all the other tracks are playing, but the plugin is activate so the volume is all the way down, acting as a Mute button.

Hope it helps and hope the explanation is simple enough :)

I would suggest that you save this as part of your template, if you have one. The Controller Assignments window is saved with Logic, so you don't need to do anything.

Enjoy!

:)

Edited by 3ple

• 6 months later...