Another Marquee trick

3ple

This is another "accident" that happened and showed me another trick we can do with the Marquee tool. I don't know how many of you already know this, but here's what can be done:

If you have a region (audio or midi), select a section with the marquee tool, but instead of limiting it to the region's track, extend it up or down vertically so it selects the region's track and another track (or tracks). Then click the Marquee region on one of those other tracks and it will cut and automatically move that cut section to the clicked track. Here's a visual example:

3ple-marquee-new-trick.gif.8b68fcc467d2286ed3c6b7f179a795dd.gif

I gotta be honest: I don't know how useful this can be and how many times I will be using it, but I will let you guys decide it for yourselves :) Sometimes it works for some people, it doesn't work for others...

Very cool. I can see myself using this a LOT. For example to do this kind of effect: https://www.logicprohelp.com/selective-delay-effects-vocals/

On the trackpad, if I just tap, it cuts the region but leaves it in place. If I press down, the region jumps to the track I click, as you described.

Nice find, thanks again for sharing!

Very cool. I can see myself using this a LOT. For example to do this kind of effect: https://www.logicprohelp.com/selective-delay-effects-vocals/

On the trackpad, if I just tap, it cuts the region but leaves it in place. If I press down, the region jumps to the track I click, as you described.

Nice find, thanks again for sharing!

Always a pleasure :) yeah it saves one click and one drag. Always about optimizing the workflow ;) glad it can be useful. Another one of those accidents haha

I wonder if this also works with copying, not just moving. 

I haven't tried. Maybe holding Option while clicking or something... to be honest, Logic is always such a box of great surprises, it wouldn't really surprise me if that was possible too ;)

I actually just learned from an Eli Krantzberg's Groove3 tutorial that by selecting with the marquee, and then Option-dragging your selection will create a copy without actually cutting or splitting the region.

Yup, this I use all the time. 

The new trick 3ple showed although didn't work when I tried to only copy. I moves that selection. 

• 1 year later...

Very cool trick!

I noticed that when I would extend my Marquee selection to tracks above or below, the highlighted area would change as I scrolled. But I realized you don't have to drag the Marquee selection. You can just Shift+Click where you want it to end up.

For example:

I have multiple tracks. I make a selection on one of them with my marquee tool (say, from bars 1-4).

Now, I Shift+Click on the track I want to extend the selection to.

Instantly, the Marquee selection will appear as if you dragged it the whole way. Except, by doing it this way, you don't have to worry being precise or re-aligning your selection.

NOTE: You MUST click within the borders of the original Marquee selection (between bars 1-4) or it won't work.

I've also noticed that you can remove individual tracks from your Marquee selection. Once you have a few tracks selected, while holding Shift, you can click on any tracks Marquee selection and it will de-select just that section.

• 10 months later...
It doesn't seem to work when you're working with take folders.

See here --> https://cl.ly/1888ded7bf7b

maybe because the type of track it would be copying it to, isn't a take folder track or something?

to be honest I never use this feature like that. It happened and I've decided to share it, not I don't use it...

I was just about to test that out when I realised you can't have a take folder on an empty track (can you?).

I'm definitely going to be using this feature a lot when editing live drums though. I think it's going to save me at least thirty minutes of editing per song.

Thanks a million!

maybe because the type of track it would be copying it to, isn't a take folder track or something?

to be honest I never use this feature like that. It happened and I've decided to share it, not I don't use it...

I was just about to test that out when I realised you can't have a take folder on an empty track (can you?).

I'm definitely going to be using this feature a lot when editing live drums though. I think it's going to save me at least thirty minutes of editing per song.

Thanks a million!

Good to know this tip will save you so much time! :D

Just tried this trick on my Trackpad and Logic 10.4.7. I used David's method of clicking then pressing down on my Trackpad, the region appeared on the target track but when I let go of the Trackpad, the region "bounced" back up and no changes were made. I was able to make it work by clicking, pressing down THEN holding down Shift. You have to make sure that you hold down Shift after pressing down on the Trackpad so you have to time it correctly. Pretty cool trick, thanks for sharing!

Just tried this trick on my Trackpad and Logic 10.4.7. I used David's method of clicking then pressing down on my Trackpad, the region appeared on the target track but when I let go of the Trackpad, the region "bounced" back up and no changes were made. I was able to make it work by clicking, pressing down THEN holding down Shift. You have to make sure that you hold down Shift after pressing down on the Trackpad so you have to time it correctly. Pretty cool trick, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for this. :D

• 5 weeks later...