3rd Party Plugin factory presets database for Logic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Marcus! I am a little bit of a noob when it comes to the presets here. I have the Waves SSL bundle, but let me use this as an example to ask about the purpose of these presets. Is it that there's a void for third-party presets within Logic? Are the presets supposed to show up in the default plugin menu, or am I off base? I have not tried downloading these yet, except for the SSL presets I just saw, and want to know how to go about the process of getting them to work.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
i can do that also as i've found a way to systematically extract aupresets from the plugins using some automation code that i've written.

Indeed - that's how I did mine. There's no way I could have done the 20,000+ presets I contributed to this thread by individually saving them manually (!). That's a hilariously bad way to do it... :)

I wrote scripts in Quickeys/Keyboard Maestro with some lateral thinking for some issues to get patch names etc. Works great.

I wrote a bit of code that utilises AU Lab, as the preset name generally gets sent to AU Lab (after a slight read delay) in a form that allows you to copy and paste it as the filename - this was something Logic was not so repeatable at achieving as the text wasn't copyable. Probably do something similar with automator actually now you mention quickeys, would be quite easy in fact.

Recommend AU Lab if you ever get a problem doing it via Logic.

Hey Marcus! I am a little bit of a noob when it comes to the presets here. I have the Waves SSL bundle, but let me use this as an example to ask about the purpose of these presets. Is it that there's a void for third-party presets within Logic? Are the presets supposed to show up in the default plugin menu, or am I off base? I have not tried downloading these yet, except for the SSL presets I just saw, and want to know how to go about the process of getting them to work.

Thanks!

3rd party plugins presets are not part of Logic's libraries (understandably), hence could not benefit from its functionalities (such as search, organization, etc). That is why the need to convert them into Logic's presets.

3rd party plugins presets are not part of Logic's libraries (understandably), hence could not benefit from its functionalities (such as search, organization, etc). That is why the need to convert them into Logic's presets.

• In addition:
  • If the presets are indexed as AU Instruments, you don't have to use the plug-in's interface to change patches. In fact - you don't even have to have the plug-in window open. You can select patches directly from Logic's browser.
  • You can create folder / directories and move patches into them, in an order that make sense to you. I typically create a "* Favorites" folder and drop copies of my favorite patches from a set in it - so they are top of the list, and easily grabbed.
  • You can re-name patches to fit your own naming convention. This goes with the creating of Folder/Directories thing. Basically - you put all the sounds into an order that makes sense to you, so you can recall the patches later.

All this said -- you also have an option to Save your patches as part of Channelstrip settings. These are even more powerful, as they save any channel strip plug-in effects along with the patch. I do this for my 'Favorite' patches often, as it makes sense (for me) to save EQ, and other effects along with my few go-to sounds.

Not enough? You can save multiple Tracks into "Patches" now. This is even more powerful, as you can nest together multiple tracks as one "Patch".

So ... there is a load of stuff available for saving and recalling settings in Logic -- but saving audio unit presets (AU Instruments) is the easiest to do and use.. and is probably the easiest to learn to do (initially). Once you gain a rudimentary understanding though, you'll find yourself making changes to plug-in settings, renaming their patches, and moving stuff into folders that make you more efficient with Logic. Sorry for the ramble... there's a lot written about this, I meant to just pile onto Atlas007's comment about using Logic audio unit presets for better search / organization.. :lol:

I wrote a bit of code that utilises AU Lab, as the preset name generally gets sent to AU Lab (after a slight read delay) in a form that allows you to copy and paste it as the filename - this was something Logic was not so repeatable at achieving as the text wasn't copyable. Probably do something similar with automator actually now you mention quickeys, would be quite easy in fact.

Interesting...

For those who have asked, my approach was using Quickeys (but now Keyboard Maestro has implemented some key things in the latest versions, I think it's the better tool now.

If anyone wants to do something similar, I developed a simple macro script to:

- Increment the patch on the synthesiser

This usually means mouse clicking on a right/down arrow button on the GUI, or selecting a text area and pressing a down cursor or something. Obviously each synth will vary so I tweak a copy of the master script for each plugin, usually just mouse co-ordinates or something, or enabling/disabling different steps depending on what the plugin requires. Once you've done a few you'll have covered all the steps you need.

Then a script to:

- Save the patch

This is invoking Logic's save preset menu option / key command. The main issue here is getting the patch name from the plugin as the preset name. A little clipboard usage usually works here. If the plugin has an editable patch name, then your script can use the mouse to select this, and copy it to the clipboard. Then pasting the clipboard into the save dialog is trivial.

If you can't directly get at the patch name from the plugin itself, then what I do is invoke *the plugins* patch save option, which will open the save dialog with the preset name available - copy the name, exit out of the save, and then do the Logic patch save, pasting in the clipboard name.

As before, each plugin will usually need a duplicate of the save master script with a few things tweaked.

IIRC there was one more, rather rarer possibility where it wasn't possible to extract the preset name from the plugin at all.

I'd have to go look at my scripts for the example, but in this case, I opened up the synth's patches in the finder, and my script would pick up the current patch name from filename in the finder and loop through, selecting the next file, getting the name etc. I think z3ta was one of the synths that needed this approach, and I think some Arturia synths.

Then the main script:

- Main Run Loop

And then you just have the main body of the script, which is a loop to call the patch increment script, then call the patch save script, and loop however many times you like. Again, your approach may vary here, I tend to like to do categories, so I'll select (say) the Bass category in the synth, and export them all to a /Bass/ folder, and do it category by category - that's most management for me and results in the best organisation.

With macro tools, you have to pay particular attention to delays as often it will take some time to display a save dialog or somesuch, and if you don't wait long enough, then your script gets stuck. This is why these macro tools are workable but not usually hyper-efficient - in this case, slightly slower but reliable is far better than fast but often missing patches, or messing up forcing you to work out how far it got and restart etc.

If you want to do something similar, grab a demo of one of those automation tools and try implementing it yourself.

There is nothing here that is that complicated, scripts are anywhere from a small handful of steps to up to 20 or so.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great post, Des. I've been using FastScripts for a few years to save off Audio Unit Instrument presets - but Keyboard Maestro (KM) is worlds better. I spent a couple of hours yesterday writing a few KM scripts. I followed the template / recommendation you posted, and it works great. KM is definitely a little fiddly, and needs to be customized for your instrument plug-in input. Point is - it would be tough to share something like this, and require a lot of explanation. I'd definitely recommend anyone looking to generate a lot of Logic AU Instruments, invest the ~ $36 for KM - and spend a little time learning. Like I said - it only took me a couple of hours to learn, and develop a 'Master Macro' like Des describes above. As a result - I was able to save 950+ Aurturia ARP2600 V presets with only a few keystrokes, and few minutes of babysitting the process (it took an hour or so to run... but only a couple minutes of my time). It then only took a couple of minutes to copy / tweak the input routines, and then I was saving UVI Falcon presets. Point is... this is definitely the way to go, if you have a boatload of plug-in patches you want to generate Logic Audio Unit Instrument patches for.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

...back to the thread. Here are the Arturia ARP2600 V presets ( ~ 970 patches )...

ARP2600 V2.zip

ARP2600.jpg.dda8abce2eb1ce7662340d157c9a99ac.jpg

Just so that I can understand it because, well, I'm kinda a noob like that, I can use a program like Keyboard Maestro to run a script that would help me create presets that would work in Logic? I'm curious about this, I'm sure that I have a few that I'd like to create presets from, but my immediate desire is to create said presets via the ones included with Kirnu Cream. Please enlighten me; I might give it a try. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

UVI Grand Piano Collection (for Falcon, or the UVI Workstation). Indexed the five Grand Pianos in this collection and their presets (30). Loved these. If you're looking for a good cheap grand pianos --- these are sampled Steinway D Concert Grand, Fazioli F278 Concert Grand, Erard Baby Grand Piano, Seiler Upright Grand and Yamaha C7 Concert Grand pianos (and on sale for another day or two).

grand-piano-collection.png.eb7273ca7e35023c6b3732e8bbee1584.png

Also - velanche. Keyboard Maestro doesn't really allow you to do anything you can't do without it. That is - you can select "SAVE AS" from Logic's instrument window, and save these type of AU Instruments without automation. What Keyboard Maestro does -- is type the keystrokes for you (which is great, if you're trying to save hundreds of presets). If you want to save a handful of presets for Logic's browser, you don't need automation.

[/back to the thread]

Grand Piano Collection.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow users,

Long time Logic user, but first post on this forum!

Ps... Apologies if this has been addressed previously in this thread, I've read half of it, but couldn't find it.

As so many have said this is a brilliant idea. I stumbled on this thread after finding the thread for the the Nektar Panorama, which I'm looking to grab soon. I nearly fell over, I couldn't believe after so many years of using Logic I never knew you could do this. I'm about to buy Komplete 10 also, so this will come in real handy :D

But one thing is eluding me... After drooping the files into the relevant folder, and then opening the plugin in Logic, sure with the library open I see the preset list appear, and I can select a preset, but as soon as select a different track, and reselect the track with the preset I just loaded, the preset list does not reappear, only the default Logic list, and there does not appear to be a way to locate it (without deleting and reloading the plug. What am I missing?

If I save the preset as a Patch in the bottom of the Library pane, It does then appear under User Patches :?

If you click to the left of the plugin slot then the library on the far left will display it's contents related to that selection. Don't know if you're aware, but a little arrow blue appears next to the plugin/channel library you are viewing.

That's presuming you are using plugin presets, and not channel strip presets.

If you click to the left of the plugin slot then the library on the far left will display it's contents related to that selection. Don't know if you're aware, but a little arrow blue appears next to the plugin/channel library you are viewing.

That's presuming you are using plugin presets, and not channel strip presets.

Thank you very much skijumptoes! :shock:

This is another those hidden gems in Logic which after 16yrs of using the program was still unknown to me :D . All be it this may have only been implemented in newer versions. The thing is I know the program is called Logic, but I don't think anyone would know to click in that section as there's graphically nothing there to indicate is anything to click.

My world of working with Logic just keeps getting better.

• 1 month later...
I have a question, how do you get these presets to show up in the Library if they are Audio FX plugins? The Instrument presets show up just fine in the Library but I can't seem to get the Audio FX presets to show up... or is it just not possible?

I have a question, how do you get these presets to show up in the Library if they are Audio FX plugins? The Instrument presets show up just fine in the Library but I can't seem to get the Audio FX presets to show up... or is it just not possible?

Navigate to ~/Library/Audio/Presets/ and you should see directories by manufacturer's names.

Your home library is hidden by default, but you can access it from Finder's Go menu when holding down the option key.