Environment Video - Vector fader controlling EQ and echo

Seemed quite coincidental that the kind of stutter effect was happening when he (did the equivalent of the) steep high pass filter effect on track. Wondering if that vector is also controlling some kind of stutter plug (or other effect).

Seemed quite coincidental that the kind of stutter effect was happening when he (did the equivalent of the) steep high pass filter effect on track. Wondering if that vector is also controlling some kind of stutter plug (or other effect).

Could be. There's 3 plug-ins on the channelstrip and only 2 are showing. I think most of the stutter plugs are MIDI controlled FX you'd put on an instrument track though. But, ya never know, I can't read the inserts there.

I do not think that he uses any stutter plugin at all.

The Vector faders are my passion as well, that's why I add them to every Environment hardware editor or tool. In most of the cases when you twist several parameters of a given EQ or Filter in one moment they can produce very interesting stutter FX even more... This gave me the idea to construct the "Intelligent Randomizer" some years ago.

Watch the video and try: "INTELLIGENT RANDOMIZER ENVIRONMENT TOOL"

Thank you Ski,

I tried and tried but can not get Ivans video to play. It streams for a bit and stops and I don't want to wait till next Tuesday till it all loads. I would really like to see it.

As you said, Someone posts a question and the results are usually:

1.) No response at all

2.) A one person response.

3.) A Cluster f*%@ of responses where the answer is given in 7 different languages and is repeated over and over until beaten to death.

... But to NOT answer the question with examples within the confines of this forum seems like a shameless self promotion. I am not saying that it is a bad thing to refer back to your site if it is relevant and answers the question. If you already have the answer somewhere, then why explain it twice.

However, giving external examples of how talented you are without answering the post with a HOW TO, or some form of explanation, to me, is nothing more than a SSP (shameless self promotion). A Hijacking of the thread if you will.

In all fairness, it is a good challenge to see how some people do things, but I feel it is a waste of time to answer the posts where the OP didn't read the manual, or did not even try to open the environment to have a go at it.

So this is for those of you who don't want to try and learn, but come in here expecting someone else to do all the work for your lazy ass.

Here is my Environment for some one who posted a question about the sound from their earphones coming out of the wrong side. The left side was coming out the right and vise-versa.

I made a simple set up with a fader and transformer that will reverse the side the sound comes out. It is very simple and the audio clip used explains what the problem was. You can move the fader to hear the results.

It's in Logic 7, but it works well.

Earphone Polarity changer.lso

Edited by ski

OK, a tutorial will have to wait a bit as it will take some time to finish. I'll poke at it over the next few days. Had to take my daughter Madeleine out for 13th birthday dinner and a movie. Japanese steakhouse and Indiana Jones. She's sleepin like a rock now!

In the meantime, here's the project you guys can poke at and try. Make suggestions for improvements, etc.

I have it so you can record your movements with the vector fader to a track. I've included an example. Just delete that MIDI region and have at it yourself. Note that you must have the MultiControl track selected to use and record the vector fader.

Press Play.

Have fun.

f8_Vector_MultiCtrl.zip

Edited by ski

[edited by moderator]

About your scheme - Congratulations, Well Done !

Honestly I'm really happy to find some other people who are famous with the Logic environment and give their best for the rest of the people. Logic Environment has been always dark area and I believe that it will open for everybody one day, thanks to the guys like you !

You announced your scheme as Open Source - that's Great ! I support this idea too, so the forums are the right place where all skilled makers discuss a given scheme trying to make it better and better, and in the same time the rest users who are not so famous can be involved in that and get rid of the whole discussion. In other words they can use it as online environment training dipping into the environment details etc...

Well, what I can offer are little fixes/updates only. I did not have time to dip into that since I'm quite busy right now but let's see what I can offer:

1/ You set the Vector range 0-101 cause the Delay Dry/Wet range is 0-100 right ? If so, just correct to range to 0-100 ( we will need exact value to do some calculations lately... ).

2/ There was a "Scale" Transformer patched after the DelayWet one and set to 2.0000x0 as far as I remember. This way it behaves as "Mul" - I can not follow your idea of this scale transformer on the Wet path ( there are no changes if remove it )?

You need normal range 0-100 and you'v already set this range in the Vector.

3/ What I see is that the DelayDry transformer needs special scale since the Delay Dry path can not reach value 0 when you move the Vector most to the right ( it stops to 26% i.e F3_19_26 fader value )

4/ I offer to use "Flip" as 4th operation and do some calculations to find what value we need there :

Since the Flip menu top range is 64, ( 50% of the regular value range 0-127 which divides into 128 ranges ) then we must calculate/convert our normal range we use in the Vector top value 100 to 50%, so the final Flip calculation is 50.

Using such scales we need to check the "Filter Duplicate Event" transformer option ! Now the Delay Dry path will work as expected using its full range 0-100. See the Pic. bellow.

Finally it'll be great to make video tutor of the scheme and explain how it works. And you are welcome to my site if wish to host that in the "User Environments" link with the Environment scheme download and the video tutor in HQ online format and what notes you like !

Note: About the scheme update - it's my personal ideas and suggestions, so nobody is obligated to follow them, cause I do not wish to be treated as boaster any more !

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6417/dryfixxp1.gif

Edited by ski

]1/ You set the Vector range 0-101 cause the Delay Dry/Wet range is 0-100 right ? If so, just correct to range to 0-100 ( we will need exact value to do some calculations lately... ).

2/ There was a "Scale" Transformer patched after the DelayWet one and set to 2.0000x0 as far as I remember. This way it behaves as "Mul" - I can not follow your idea of this scale transformer on the Wet path ( there are no changes if remove it )?

Ah, here's where usability, and the way it sounds, trumps scientific accuracy. All the range limiting and scaling I did is because it sounded better when actually using the vector fader. For example, scaling the wet parameter so that it reaches 100% when the fader is at 50% of its horizontal travel. It simply sounded and felt better this way. If I was using a different loop, my numbers might have been different.

Same thing for limiting the fader's range to 101. It gives you more "usable" control with the fader. When I set things like this up, I usually ignore the numbers and use my ears.

=========================================

Note from Moderator:

From this point forward, PLEASE KEEP THIS DISCUSSION ON TRACK.

Thank you!

Edited by ski

Ronnie, you weren't censored. I didn't have any problem with your posts or some others that didn't make it back into this thread. Your posts and some of the other totally non-ranty, absolutely fine posts (even some of the funny ones) simply got lost in the shuffle of my trying to clean it up. Nothing more than that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everybody on this thread!.

Really interesting stuff and made me dive into dark environment world again. I really love that XY -control of plugin parameters. Everything is just not that clear to me.. yet!. But F8's example is great source of information.

I hope someone will have time, energy and effort for making tutorial about this for tip's and tricks -section.

Keep experimenting!.

Okay people i'm officially hooked to Environment 8).

I finally understanded how things are working and did little test where i was controlling Echo's Wet/Dry, Bitchrusher's Drive and couple of frequency parameters of Channel Eq. Then i hooked those CCs which Vector Fader is using to Korg padKontrol's XY -pad. That was pretty cool.

I think hardest part is limiting those controls, so that you don't over do it. And when you're using effect like Bitcrusher, you should do something to maintain "average" volume, i almost exploaded my monitors :lol:, but hey it was worth it! :D.

I think hardest part is limiting those controls, so that you don't over do it. And when you're using effect like Bitcrusher, you should do something to maintain "average" volume, i almost exploaded my monitors :lol:, but hey it was worth it! :D.

route,

Try taking a look at the vector gizmo that ski, steveH and I were building in this thread:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=37179

It has min/max limits for each axis, learnable assignment, sensitivity curves, chaos and a bunch of stuff. It's pretty well laid out so you can nab bits that you need from it in your own vector faders. Give it a look.

route,

Try taking a look at the vector gizmo that ski, steveH and I were building in this thread:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=37179

It has min/max limits for each axis, learnable assignment, sensitivity curves, chaos and a bunch of stuff. It's pretty well laid out so you can nab bits that you need from it in your own vector faders. Give it a look.

Thanks for the link!. Will study!.