swipe comping with logic instruments

czarthp

can swipe comp with audio fine but when I try to swipe comp with instruments it won't let me. I changed my recording setting so midi won't overlap and it creates a take folder. I got my take folder and 5 takes sitting here looking at me but I can't swipe over anything. all I can do is select which take.

Quick swipe comping is an audio tool. Not for MIDI/software instruments.

If you really want to use it for MIDI, you'll have to create audio tracks out of your MIDI regions, and then edit your comps from there.

Although, using the Piano Roll or one of the other MIDI editors would likely be a much easier approach for whatever you're trying to do.

When doing the technique David outlined, sometimes it can be helpful to option+cut the folder (to slice the whole thing into even chunks, say 1 bar long, or whatever subdivision makes sense in your case). That makes the subsequent choosing of the best pieces much easier in some situations.

someone on another suggested converting the midi takes into audio and then swipe comping them

That was me. Three posts above. Just set the output of each Software Instrument take to a new audio track, and go from there. Then you can pack the resulting audio regions into a take folder, and swipe to your heart's content. Piece of cake.

Though I still think that using the Piano Roll editor (or Event List, etc., if you prefer) to manipulate the MIDI notes themselves is a much better option, no matter what you're doing. But whatever fires your rocket.

EDIT: doh! David beat me to it. You're EVERYWHERE, man. 8)

• 6 years later...
David you pointed me here from another thread and --- This is very helpful! Practically as good as the quick swipe tool I was looking for. I was hoping to make one master midi track before working on things like velocity and individual notes etc. so the cutting take folder option is much better serving this goal than having to create audio first :-) Thanks SO MUCH. x0x0x0x