Setting note velocity as a trigger on my Korg micoKONTROL

Mediaspar

I know that note velocity is not a seperate message from the note itself, but how would I go about setting note velocity as a parameter on my keyboard that can be controlled with a knob? Do I have to set Ultrabeat or EXS24 to accept Expression from CC#11 notes? Please let me know as this would help a lot. Oh, I have something to post in technique forum...

At the severe risk of flogging this horse when its bones are already in the glue factory, I think I understand MS's problem.

If you have a recorded track, wherein the velocity of a given note affects the quality and timbre of the sound, and not just its volume, the capability to vary the velocity of notes from an external controller during playback (performance) could be a very useful facility.

You would need a separate MIDI track, routed through the environment via a transformer which also looked at incoming MIDI information, but how to get a KorgMC (or any other controller) to transmit velocity information in the absence of NoteOn information is beyond my ken.

:(

PH-

Yes, you understand what I'm looking for. Does anyone know how to create such a condition on the KorgMC?

•In the Environment, make sure the MIDI path goes through a Fader object into a Transformer

•Set the Transformer to Apply Operation Let non-matching Events pass thru

•In Conditions, set Status to [= Note]

•In Operation, set Vel to Fix

•Set the parameters of the Fader as follow:

Output: Meta

Channel: 1

- 1 -: 127

Input: Control

- 1 -: 1

*this is the Control Setting...

Value as: Number

Filter: Off

Now your Mod Wheel controls the velocity of the notes you play. The Control Setting lets you decide what other knob on your Korg you might want to use instead of the Mod Wheel.

Cool, thanks David. Will this set all knobs on my hardware (Korg micoKONTROL) to only edit velocity, or will I be able to set any of the parameters of the EXS24, for example, to any other knobs (pan, volume, lo-pass, other automation, etc.) while maintaining one knob for velocity? Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Nice trick. I'm always having to adjust velocity manually after the event, as the velocity send from the keyboard is from 0-127, and sensitive. That means i get the odd loud note suddenly. Can i also limit the velocity range doing this, with as an example 35-100? Or something else?

And as a follow on, is setting the control knob, which ever one i pick just a matter of using the 'learn assignment' procedure?

Man, i'm learning some serious stuff here. Who knows, i might get to enjoy Logic after all!

Regards,

Alex.

• 4 weeks later...

Whats the setup process for inserting the velocity controller after the recording, example, lets say i record a midi track and after i record it i want to be able to control the velocity level of the notes that are there, basically take another pass but only record velocity. Does that make sense??

Sorry for the shakey explanation

• 2 months later...

Hi

I step-time most of the time in Logic and using the Score Editor and therefore have no mod-wheel to use for expression/velocity.

Presently I'm trying to learn how to make different instruments (layers) sound using velocity levels programmed in EXS24.

Is there anything else other than the mod-wheel I could use for this technique, bearing in mind I use the Score Editor as my input, or would I just simply have to write in each note and its velocity level as I go, to change to the different instruments?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Many thanks

Mike

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

OK, I think my question is relevant to this thread, so I will ask it here:

I have successfully mapped the Logic mixer volume sliders to the sliders on my M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, along with solo, mute, next track, previous track, and pan across 4 zones for a total of 32 tracks (thanks to logicstudiotraining.com and sflogicninja on YouTube)

Now I want to assign velocity (normally done in the Hyper Editor or one note at a time in Piano Roll) to a pot or slider on my Keystation Pro 88; I want to be able to change velocity just for the data in the track (channel) I am working on by activating read, touch, or latch (Don't really know which is best to use) and changing the velocity data while the track plays back in the mixer.

I will also need to know (if this is a do-able thing) how to save this permanently for all future projects. I'm kinda new at this, and hope I am using the correct terminology. Also pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere...thanks in advance

• 3 months later...

I tried to follow these instructions in Logic 9, however, i think the Enviroment layout has changed a bit since this post.

Is it possible to ask for some guidance on this task for Logic 9?

What I am trying to do is use my mod wheel to create cresendo's/decresendo' s with for example tremolo strings.

Is this possible?

Thanks

• 8 months later...
Works great when you need to using the Transformer for every plugin although I'm trying to find a way where I can use it just for one plugin. Tried the Velocity Controller + Transformer plugged into my Software instrument on the Mixer layer, but doesn't work. But I guess the Environment window has it's limitations maybe.

• 2 months later...

•In the Environment, make sure the MIDI path goes through a Fader object into a Transformer

•Set the Transformer to Apply Operation Let non-matching Events pass thru

•In Conditions, set Status to [= Note]

•In Operation, set Vel to Fix

•Set the parameters of the Fader as follow:

Output: Meta
- 1 -: 127
Input: Control
- 1 -: 1 *this is the Control Setting...
Value as: Number
Filter: Off

Now your Mod Wheel controls the velocity of the notes you play. The Control Setting lets you decide what other knob on your Korg you might want to use instead of the Mod Wheel.

http://logicprohelp.com/tipsimages/004.jpg

???How would you go about doing the same thing for AFTERTOUCH/CHANEL PRESSURE???

Thanks.

I tried to follow these instructions in Logic 9, however, i think the Enviroment layout has changed a bit since this post.

Is it possible to ask for some guidance on this task for Logic 9?

There are some changes in the Environment in Logic 9, but nothing that would affect whether David's programming works or not.

pquote[What I am trying to do is use my mod wheel to create cresendo's/decresendo' s with for example tremolo strings.

You can't change the velocity of a note once you've played it. Velocity is a static thing. So let's say you're holding down a single note of trem strings. That's it, you're done. Velocity can't be changed.

However, if the library you're using has multi-sampled levels of dynamics (p, mp, mf, f, etc.) then the modwheel could be used to crossfade between them. However, that's a whole different discussion. Likewise, you could "fake" crescendi/decrescendi with the modwheel by using it to control volume, but as before, that's a whole different situation than altering velocity.

How would you go about doing the same thing for AFTERTOUCH/CHANEL PRESSURE?

You could change the input to Pressure. However, it wouldn't quite work, because velocity information is always generated before pressure information (of any type). So let's say you played a note. Pressing down on the keybed to produce pressure information would have zero effect on that note's velocity. However, the velocity offset would affect subsequent notes. So that's not really going to work out.