Convert Region to new Sampler Track issue [SOLVED(ish)]

Wilbert

Hi,

I'm trying to make a weird break. It's not that weird yet, just a plain old break. I decided to make the sample into a midi file using the 'convert region to new sampler track' command. First I checked (and modified) the transients, to make sure I got the samples I wanted. Then when I converted the audio region to a sampler track, I saw that somehow Logic 'made up' new transients, and didn't use the ones I edited. I attached pictures to show what it did. The created samples are useless, because some of them start 'ahead of time'. (I can't use those with a trigger pad.)

I read about similar problems on this forum, and people suggested trying to 'slice at Transient Markers'. If I do that I still get wacky results. (You can still see the transient markers after I slice at them, see attachment.)

Finally, it seemed at least one forum member got no errors when working on aif files. Well, my file was created using bounce in place, and is a aif file already. So... I'm out of ideas.

The question now is: what did I miss, and how do I fix this (asides from editing it manually)?

:EDIT:

the screenshots below show:

- the result of a 'slice at Transient Markers' operation

- the result of a 'Convert Regions to new Sampler Track' operation

- the settings I used to get the sampler track

- the Transient Markers in the original audio file (an aif file)

13169561_sliceatTransientMarkers.png.e6bdbc28aa94672e9c1f92fd61bf0439.png

slice at Transient Markers

754610580_SamplerTrack.png.127168e9aef2aff73f4f7ae1ebc9a3f2.png

The resulting Sampler Track

21736758_ConvertRegiontonewSamplerTrack.png.b75779677b24847a230c232e3eec56f9.png

Convert Region to new Sampler Track

Transients.png.6b222a2958cef4bc740405d9123bc4fb.png

The transients of the audio file.

Edited by Wilbert

Thanks for the fast reply.

If by 'slice mode' you mean 'Flex mode with slicing selected', that's one of the things I tried, and it got me the top screenshot attached. You can see it's not slicing at the transients. Am I missing something?

I just tried importing the aif file into a new project, to see if I would work this time. I get the same in a new project. I also tried picking a random apple loop, bouncing it to an aif file, and seeing whether that would work. Both of these produced the same result: somehow logic doesn't seem to use the transient markers.

I could be completely missing your point, but I think that's what I did, and that's what the top screenshot I attached shows didn't work. (And isn't that what you pointed out in your first reply?)

:?

:EDIT: to avoid confusion I'll edit the first post to include descriptions of the screenshots.

I could be completely missing your point, but I think that's what I did, and that's what the top screenshot I attached shows didn't work.

Exactly. Looking at your sample editor screenshot, you appear to have a few transient markers that shouldn't be there. Delete them.

What do you mean 'shouldn't be there'? Isn't the whole point of editing the transients in the sample editor that you get to decide where the transients should go? I edited them, and thought they were okay where they are now. :?

Anyway: I deleted the transients that represented softer sounds, and tried again. Is that what you meant? Results remain off.

I tried to turn off 'snap edits to zero crossings' and repeat the process. Results remain off.

I'm confused.

:EDIT:

To be clear: I didn't add any transients. I only deleted some. There are some very soft closed hi hat sounds in the fill, with transients.

Would it help if I attached the project? And if so: how? (Just copy the project folder and compress it?)

Is this what you mean, Wilbert?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4497784927_a91658ed6d_o.png

This is an apple loop I converted to a new aiff, and after editing the transient markers to my liking, and then slicing at transient markers, it did not "respect" some of my choices. Snap to zero crossings was off in both sample editor and arrange, though having it on didn't make a difference either.

J.

Hi Jordito,

I don't see where logic doesn't respect your choices. Am I supposed to see that in your screenshot?

What you describe is what I mean, yeah, although originally I didn't mean to slice the region, but just turn it into a sampler track.

It's supposed to slice at transient markers, in the screenshot you see that one of the resulting regions was not sliced at the transient markers I had set...it's similar when converting to a new sampler track if you choose to create zones from transient markers....in your case some zones are being created ignoring your transient marker positions.

J.

Oh now I see. I was looking at your arrange area, forgetting that the transients only show there if you have flex time turned on.

But yeah, your example is exactly what I'm experiencing. I don't suppose you have a solution?

Edited by Wilbert

Jordito,

I get the same thing, but it's never been more than 10 samples. Yours looks like a bit more than that. But most of your slices are closer than that, it would appear.

I don't see where logic doesn't respect your choices. Am I supposed to see that in your screenshot?

What you describe is what I mean, yeah, although originally I didn't mean to slice the region, but just turn it into a sampler track.

Technically, the process creates regions in the background, so it's the same thing. Once the EXS instrument is created, you can modify the sample start index in the EXS zone editor. Or, zoom in on your regions after the slicing is done and adjust their start points there. Then create an EXS instrument "From regions".

I'm not sure why these offsets get created in the first place.

Hi fader,

I know I can do it all manually, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a function that automatically slices at transients for you. Is this all working as expected for you? Does that mean that my logic install is broken (and Jordito's as well)?

Jordito,

I get the same thing, but it's never been more than 10 samples. Yours looks like a bit more than that. But most of your slices are closer than that, it would appear.

It's unpredictable, but actually not that bad in general, most of the other slices in this particular test were right on or very close. I wouldn't mind having to adjust the ones that are off afterwards (after all, I don't use this feature too often).

And Wilbert, I'm pretty sure everybody gets these results to a lesser or greater degree...it's something that the Logic developing team needs to improve...but you definitely don't have to do it ALL manually, just fine tune the results like fader8 suggested. For example, after slicing by transient markers, you could fine tune any slices that are off by using the junction tool in the arrange, and like fader8 said, convert to new sampler track creating zones from regions instead of transient markers. That way you can have it perfect. It doesn't take much effort to get like that...until THEY make it perfect for US :wink:

J.

OK, just wanted to make sure that it wasn't my install or anything.

When I'm reading back my posts I get the feeling that I didn't thank fader enough for chiming in. So: sorry fader, thanks for the input. Now I know it's not my install, I'm gonna give that a try.

So: should this be in the bugs section?

So: should this be in the bugs section?

Maybe it already is, I can't remember if I saw it there...but I (and many others) do know that this feature has been buggy since it was introduced...and that also, it has already been improved. For example, it used to create more (or less, can't remember) slices than there were transient markers...now that seems to work as expected. I'm confident they'll eventually get it working right...eventually...

J.