New computer, but now I'm missing LOTS of plug-ins.

Godfodder

I recently updated to an 8-core, Intel Mac, and to my dismay, I have been having reoccurring problems with missing plug-ins. For example, Spectrasonics Stylus RMX and Atmosphere have disappeared, but Omnisphere made the transition. Also, many of my new purchases just don't appear in Logic (Pro 9.11). For example, I just bought U-he's ACE and Spectrasonics' Trillian. Installed them both, and.... nothing! They don't appear in any of the drop down menus for Audio Instruments. Today I bought AAS's Tassman, installed it, and again, zip. No evidence of the plug-in anywhere within Logic.

How do I get Logic to find these Instruments?

Thanks a million!

My guess is that you've probably using Logic in 64 bit mode and your 'disappearing' plugins are 32 bit.

Try highlighting your Logic.app icon in Applications folder and and then choose 'Get Info'. In the 'Get Info' dialog box there's a button you can click on to choose 32 bit mode.

Thanks reddog. Yes, I am using 64 bit mode (so I can take advantage of my 8 Gigs of RAM), but that is not the problem. The missing AU instruments happen in both modes. In 64 bit mode, the 32 bit AU's are still available, just not in 64 bit. Many of my other plugs are in 32 bit, and they show up fine in 64 bit mode.

I am missing tons of stuff! I don't know how to proceed because if Logic doesn't see certain plug-ins on start up... what does one do? I was really looking forward to using Trillian, which by the way is in 64 bit, and I installed verbatim from the discs (no putting the library on an external disk), and yet nothing (!!) in Logic. It is just very, very frustrating.

Well, Atmosphere is a PPC plugin and that won't work on your Intel Mac. No need for it either, as Omnisphere replaces it anyway.

Run the AU Manager - are the plugins listed there?

If not, trash the audiounit cache file and reboot, and try again - does Logic see them now?

/Users/*yourusername*/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits.cache

I'm uncertain how to do what you suggest. How do I "run the AU Manager"? Where is it? It's not under applications or utilities.

Here's the magnitude of the problem. Yesterday I purchased and downloaded AAS's Tassman (a soft synth). I installed it, and... yep, there it is in my Applications folder. When I run it in solo mode, it works fine! Yet when I start Logic, no such instrument appears among my AU Instrument choices.

Just maddening.

I'm uncertain how to do what you suggest. How do I "run the AU Manager"? Where is it? It's not under applications or utilities.

Logic -> Preferences -> Start AU Manager

Here's the magnitude of the problem. Yesterday I purchased and downloaded AAS's Tassman (a soft synth). I installed it, and... yep, there it is in my Applications folder. When I run it in solo mode, it works fine! Yet when I start Logic, no such instrument appears among my AU Instrument choices.

A few things come to mind. Firstly, check it's a Universal Binary plugin, not a PPC plugin. Anything modern should be a UB, but if it's an older plugin it might be PPC only, which will give you the behaviour you see. Do a get info on the component file and see whether it says "Universal".

Second - did you trash the AU cache as I suggested?

Thirdly - check that you actually installed the AudioUnit version, sometimes it may not be selected in the installer by default. Make sure the component file is in one (only one) of the au plugin directories.

Fourthly, check the AU manager to see whether the plugin is recognised and whether it passed or failed validation.

Your suggestions helped immensely! I took Logic out of 64 bit mode, trashed the AU cache, and let it rescan all the plug-ins. Many of the missing ones are now back (and Jesus, do I have a lot). The Tassman 4 is now there, as is u-he's ACE.

The only glaring omissions are Stylus RMX and Trilian, but since they're both from Spectrasonics, perhaps it's more of an individual manufacturer problem, and I can sort it out with them directly.

Again, my sincerest thanks!

Ok, you never mentioned 64-bit mode.

Yes, it's common for this to happen. You have to rescan in 32-bit mode, and then they should show up.

RMX and Trilian should work in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes - make sure you have an up to date version. Remember that in 64-bit mode, these will show up in the 64-bit plugin menu, not the 32-bit plugin menu,