Getting 20 second beach ball wait when I hit record [SOLVED]

T

I have tried different I/O Buffer sizes & latency button on and off.

This started happening recently (after latest upgrade to 9.1.3?).

The sessions are small w no 3rd party plugins, only Logic instruments w MIDI and some audio tracks, so there hasn't been much reason for session corruption.

Happens only when recording on audio tracks. MIDI is fine.

About 18 to 20 second beach ball-spinning delay.

As you can imagine, frustrating.

What could it be, some setting or preference that got tweaked some where that I'm missing?

I have tried different I/O Buffer sizes & latency button on and off.

This started happening recently (after latest upgrade to 9.1.3?).

The sessions are small w no 3rd party plugins, only Logic instruments w MIDI and some audio tracks, so there hasn't been much reason for session corruption.

Happens only when recording on audio tracks. MIDI is fine.

About 18 to 20 second beach ball-spinning delay.

As you can imagine, frustrating.

What could it be, some setting or preference that got tweaked some where that I'm missing?

No clue really, but do you record to a ext HD?

Hmm.

I'm recording on the main internal drive that came w the Mac Pro, though I see that it's a 700GB drive w only 29GB of space left (duh, oops). I will clear stuff out and get it operating at at least 10% capacity with around 70-80GB, if not more, of space.

Will report back if that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

You could try reindexing Spotlight. Apple > System Preferences > Spotlight, click the Privacy tab, add your startup disk to the list. Then select it and remove it again, using the "-" button. Close the prefpanel. Within 30 seconds or so OS X should start reindexing. This can take quite some time, you can find a progress bar when you click on the Spotlight icon:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5219/5387831488_3b833ba061.jpg

You should add another internal drive to your mac and record to that.

+1

I only just noticed you have a Mac Pro. So yes, get a second internal drive and not only record to that, but also copy over your existing Logic Projects folder to it. And get a 3rd drive for samples and a 4th for backup and/or second bootup.

The indexing starts on its own and seems to take forever w the progress bar in barber shop mode saying it's "estimating index time" but never really gets passed that.

Cleared main int drive (to 235GB of space), now I'm working off 2nd int drive w plenty of space (383GB). And getting 2 more int drives for work & storage next week.

Tried trashing prefs.

Still getting at least 20 second beachball. Trying to record drum kit w 5 tracks and the beachball delay is so long I thought it was a full crash and force quit. If i wait it's at least a minute or longer until it starts recording.

Any other ideas?

Hi T, you haven't addressed that earlier comment by triplets:

Sounds like an external or secondary drive that is formatted in FAT32, which Logic does NOT like. If this is the case, that drive should be reformatted to Mac OSX Extended, previous backup of course.

You can check the formatting of the drive using /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities.

The drive I was working on is the main internal and is formatted to Mac OS Extended, so is the 2nd internal drive I am now working on, came w the Mac.

Both are formatted correctly. I'll definitely make sure to format additional drives going forward.

Still a problem with this delay, even though I noticed that after a few hours the beach ball delay stops happening and it is business as usual when recording audio.

Any other thoughts at to what it could be?

Thanks!

Any other thoughts at to what it could be?

This is a long shot, but the symptoms sound like maybe you don't have all the pro app updates installed? is this possible? I'd run the Mac's software update and check just to make sure. It probably wouldn't hurt to manually download and install the updates from the Apple site anyway, even if software update doesn't prompt you to.

Eli Krantzberg

Try verifying or repairing the Drive using Disk Utility. Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, and select the drive, then on the right of the window you will see the option to Verify or Repair.

Also might be a good idea to make an empty project template where the Recording Preferences are set to the second drive by default, before it asks for a new project title/path in new projects.

Hope it works out..

edit for clarity

Went for an erase and reinstall (app only) on my main drive to clear it out. Also upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Only thing preventing me from reporting back it this helped is, Logic can't find my Apple Loops sound library, which I did not erase and lives on a 2nd internal drive.

Just did a post specifically on that topic, but if you guys get this sooner and have how to do, let me know.

Thanks!

After the erase and upgrade install of Snow Leopard on my MacHD all is seemingly well.

I just had to drag and drop the Apples Loops sound library that was already on 2nd internal HD into the Loops tab window in a session (made sure to select "Use Current Location" and not to "copy" the library on the MacHD).

Control + click on the Loop browser window doesn't do it because when it does the "Reindex" it doesn't give you the option to locate the sound library in the process. One has to drag and drop the sound library folders, from where ever they are when not on the MacHD, into the Loop browser window and select "Current Location". Then it gets where they are.

Yes, the 'beach ball delay when recording' issue is solved thru the erase and reinstall on MacHD and making sure to work and save sessions on 2nd internal drive, while keeping MacHD for Apps only and at maximum GB capacity.

My MacHD obviously got nearly full because I was working and storing folders on there, thus creating some kind of corruption that I could not correct unless I did the extreme approach stated above.

Also the 'Reindexing Apple Loops' issue is also resolved.

Here's the link for that post:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=67796&highlight=

Thanks for all your help!

• 9 years later...

Somebody can help me providing the "05 Synthesizers" presets folder for EXS24, please?

I has the sampler and need the .EXS, because I don't have mac OSX any more and right now using windows with the VERY OLD emagic "logic 5 platinum". Incredible, but in 2020 I'm backing to the time. LOL!

Another .exs I got and working fine.

Thank you so much for the attention!