Help cabling up USS step sequencer [SOLVED]

mark-dj

Hi there,

I have been trawling all over the 'net and looking at all help files I can, but really having trouble patching/cabling up this step sequencer custom environment:

http://www.swiftkick.com/

Its in the Swiftkick Collection. USS - Ultimate Step Sequencer.

This version is for L7 but I have found a version compatible with L8 here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FXKZPJKA

Has anyone ever used this? I'm really tearing my hair out - granted I am not that good at the Environment (although I have a rough idea - I can patch things through from keyboards to arps/delay lines etc, use routing boxes...and I know it all has to go to the sequencer input), but I am really confused as to where I need to patch this through to get a result.

If anyone can help I'd so grateful...I'm using Logic Pro 9 on 10.6

Thanks,

Mark

I'd never heard of the Ultimate Step Sequencer before & after a quick check round the internet it seems that it's proper old school, initially being released by Emagic before being made available by Swiftkick.

It gets a mention in this SOS article from January 2004

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan04/articles/logicnotes.htm

Because it's so old I'm wondering if it would do anything that Logics built in Step Input wouldn't?

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/#chapter=14%26section=30

Hi, yeah thanks for that, I hadn't realised that was available, could be useful...but it really was the old school way of working I was after!

Is it so old then that you don't think it's compatible with modern Logic? If that isn't possible, is there any other kind of step sequencer you can recommend? I know about Ultrabeat but dragging midi patterns about isn't exactly the kind of work flow I need (from playing about with the step sequencer you posted above that also seems to be a similar kind of a 'write something and see how it sounds' sort of thing, rather than adjusting patterns on the fly).

Because it's so old I'm wondering if it would do anything that Logics built in Step Input wouldn't?

Step Input is a recording technique. A step sequencer is a sequencing/programming device. Two completely different things. Think of the USS as a tool close to the step sequencer that is built into Ultrabeat, except it can trigger any instrument you want.

I have used the USS quite a bit, but that was years ago - before Ultrabeat was even invented. I'll look at it when I can find a minute.

Ah right.

I saw the word "step" & because there wasn't much info on the Swiftkick website I formed my own conclusions.

I'll download the USS & have a look at it later on, are you looking for something that's along the lines of the Matrix from Reason?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul07/images/ReasonTech5_l.jpg

Quote text:

are you looking for something that's along the lines of the Matrix from Reason?

Yeah, something like that would do I guess...although obviously the old-school appeal of USS is part of the attraction.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of step sequencer AU plugins for Logic...I have come across Thesys by Sugarbytes (http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Thesys/index.php) but I really don't want to waste my time trying to get a crippled demo to work if it isn't quite what I need.

I've had a play about with the Logic 8 version for the last couple of hours & I've not been able to get it to work at all, the provided PDF makes it sound so simple & straight forward but I'm not sure.

It's as if there is something missing or not connected within it, I don't get anything showing up in the output monitors.

It might take someone like Shivermetimbers or Ski to figure it out, for now I'm out of ideas… :?

Was it really as straightforward as changing the start stop buttons?

Well just the start button really. The type that was used must have been one that's no longer available, so just clicking a "text" button wouldn't do anything at all. I just selected the start button and chose "As Button". Then I just couldn't have the Stop button look different, so I did the same. Then I thought "As Button 3" looked more vintage, and more cool. :lol:

And cabling the output obviously.

That's all I did, really!

Well I've learned something there then, I had the outputs connected up but when I was trying it nothing I did was getting any read out at the Output Monitors.

I knew something was wrong but didn't think that the buttons weren't actual buttons even though I'd pressed them a good few times with nothing happening. I saw the mass of cabling & thought that it was probably something wrong there instead :shock: all my environmental efforts are simple affairs compared to that.

Thanks David 8)

I've had a play about with the Logic 8 version for the last couple of hours & I've not been able to get it to work at all, the provided PDF makes it sound so simple & straight forward but I'm not sure.

It's as if there is something missing or not connected within it, I don't get anything showing up in the output monitors.

It might take someone like Shivermetimbers or Ski to figure it out, for now I'm out of ideas… :?

Sorry, it was a response to this, I hadn't refreshed my browser (I hadn't had an email about the responses so assumed the thread had been left at that and just hit 'reply')!

Just downloading now, you are a champ, thank you!