Is my iMac display dying?

So it's only in Safari? If you scroll up/down, do the lines move along with the browser view, or do they stay in place on your screen?

Thanks for the reply David!

The lines are only happening in the Safari windows and they do not move up or down when scrolling. But, there are other random anomalies. Occasionally a translucent magenta box that gradates will appear on the screen. If I roll over it with the mouse it disappears. Just a bit ago when I was testing something in Logic part of the Mixer (several channel strips) appeared small and jagged off to the lefts side of the Mixer. Sometimes words will appear smeared. Again, all of these (except the lines in Safari) will disappear when rolling over it with the mouse. In Safari, if I close the window and open a new one it may or may not have the lines but they will be in different places in the window (always horizontal).

This is my online machine and it is six years old.

I agree with David, but before you take it anywhere and spill money there are some options you could try first.

If you want to be a 100% sure that it's a hardware issue, i suggest you to try the following 2 things:

1. I know this step can be a pain in the ass, but you could try formatting your disk and do a fresh install. If the issue still occurs, then the problem is most definitely not software related.

2. Your iMac came with 2DVD's, 1 one them has 'hardware test' labeled on it. Put this DVD in your iMac and start it while holding the letter 'D'. This will boot the hardware test. Note: Be sure to disconnect any external devices, printers, hard drives, scanners, and so on (other than the Apple keyboard and mouse) from your Apple computer before starting up to Apple Hardware Test and running the diagnostic.

Performing this test, could take a couple hours but this way you will know if something is wrong with your hardware or not.

Worth taking it to an Apple Store and ask what they think or how much the repair would cost.

I agree with David, but before you take it anywhere and spill money there are some options you could try first.

If you want to be a 100% sure that it's a hardware issue, i suggest you to try the following 2 things:

1. I know this step can be a pain in the ass, but you could try formatting your disk and do a fresh install. If the issue still occurs, then the problem is most definitely not software related.

2. Your iMac came with 2DVD's, 1 one them has 'hardware test' labeled on it. Put this DVD in your iMac and start it while holding the letter 'D'. This will boot the hardware test. Note: Be sure to disconnect any external devices, printers, hard drives, scanners, and so on (other than the Apple keyboard and mouse) from your Apple computer before starting up to Apple Hardware Test and running the diagnostic.

Performing this test, could take a couple hours but this way you will know if something is wrong with your hardware or not.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll skip 1. for now and revisit that idea after trying 2. Thanks for that sytrusze, I did start up on the install disc and ran disc utility and the disc checks out. I was not aware of the Hardware Test (it's printed so tiny on the install disc I needed a magnifying glass to see it). I'm going to give that a try now and see how that turns out.

Just as I was typing a small translucent green triangle shape flashed on the screen.

Depending on the results of the above tests I will probably visit the Apple Store.

I was not aware of the Hardware Test (it's printed so tiny on the install disc I needed a magnifying glass to see it). I'm going to give that a try now and see how that turns out.

lol yeah I know, be happy because the newer mac's don't even ship with that disk anymore.

No problem, good luck!

Look on the bright side, damaged hardware could easily cost you a couple hundred bucks. On top of that, there is big existing possibility that you are forced to do a clean install after replacing hardware.

A clean install might safe you those bucks, nevertheless...it's still a pain in the a$$, i agree.

ps. in case you didn't notice, if i remember correctly...i believe there are 2 hardware test options. One normal and one extensive (which takes longer), but definitely worth the try. Once had an issue with my RAM, normal scan didn't found any issues, extensive scan did. Wish you the best of luck with it.

Look on the bright side, damaged hardware could easily cost you a couple hundred bucks. On top of that, there is big existing possibility that you are forced to do a clean install after replacing hardware.

Good point.

ps. in case you didn't notice, if i remember correctly...i believe there are 2 hardware test options. One normal and one extensive (which takes longer), but definitely worth the try. Once had an issue with my RAM, normal scan didn't found any issues, extensive scan did.

Yeah. I noticed that and I ran both tests so it appears the hardware is fine.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post back after cleaning up this machine. It may be a week or two since I've got a lot going on right now but I'll post my results when the issue is solved.

Wow, Logic wants to go all 3D on you. Do these kind of things also show up right after you've booted, or does it take some time to 'develop'? In that case I'd also point the finger at the video card, or, more accurately, the VRAM.

I do also get similar graphical anomalies in Logic, but that tends to be at the end of a long day with a CPU- and RAMtaxing project, and it always clears up after rebooting, sometimes just restarting Logic also clears it.

Do these kind of things also show up right after you've booted, or does it take some time to 'develop'? In that case I'd also point the finger at the video card, or, more accurately, the VRAM.

Thanks for the reply Erik.

It happens randomly pretty much all of the time and not just in Logic.

Here is another example which happened as I was reading your reply. It popped up when I scrolled the page.

739183091_Picture4.png.7eef7b68c611cbe858026b5eb383562d.png

As I mentioned above, just rolling over it with the mouse pointer or scrolling the page makes the anomaly disappear again.

And here is another example on the Desktop.

1264805161_Picture2.png.9e8bbbbfe68576e2484495638c9e19d4.png

Yep, I'm pretty convinced it's the video card, rather than the display itself, especially after the extra evidence you just provided in screens and words. And I understand from a quick Google that you can swap videocards out in iMacs, so I think that'll be your most likely solution... and even a chance to upgrade it...

In that case I'd also point the finger at the video card, or, more accurately, the VRAM

If that's the case, you could try resetting your VRAM.

How?

• 1. Shut down your Mac.
  • 2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • 3. Turn on the computer.
  • 4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  • 5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • 6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

In that case I'd also point the finger at the video card, or, more accurately, the VRAM

If that's the case, you could try resetting your VRAM.

How? (...)

VRAM ≠ NVRAM

VRAM = Video RAM

NVRAM = Non Volatile RAM

The procedure you gave is for NVRAM. VRAM is reset every time you turn off (or restart) your computer.

Yep, I'm pretty convinced it's the video card, rather than the display itself, especially after the extra evidence you just provided in screens and words. And I understand from a quick Google that you can swap videocards out in iMacs, so I think that'll be your most likely solution... and even a chance to upgrade it...

Sounds about right. I'll call around on Monday to see if I can find a replacement video card but from searching around the net I don't have high hopes in finding one for this particular Mac (iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo purchased Nov. 2006). I'll post back with my findings.

Note: Would have replied sooner but for some reason I did not get email notices for the last 3 new posts on this thread.

:( Bummer.

On the other hand it is an opportunity to upgrade. Maybe go the Mac Mini server-route? That seems to be the best Mac bang for the buck, after a hackintosh...

Just reinstalled Mactracker and looked up your model. One of the newer iMacs (i5, i7) will be a lot faster, and with more RAM.

http://mactracker.ca/

Also, according to Mactracker (latest version) your machine is still supported (the processor is 64 bit, which I believe is the watershed for vintage or not), so perhaps the Mac rep you spoke to was wrong. Or the vintagation (?) has been decided after the last Mactracker was published...

257021877_pic2013-01-15at21_18_51.thumb.PNG.0642a78434ff7eeb567114cdde58e611.PNG

the previous model is still being sold, even.

1346643098_pic2013-01-15at21_45_42.PNG.68403f530fd4006a4852df32e86f0b9a.PNG

Also, according to Mactracker (latest version) your machine is still supported (the processor is 64 bit, which I believe is the watershed for vintage or not), so perhaps the Mac rep you spoke to was wrong. Or the vintagation (?) has been decided after the last Mactracker was published...

Erik, thanks for this info. I actually talked to a technician at Tekserve in New York so he could be wrong. They're usually pretty good but I'm sure it's best to talk directly to an Apple rep. I'll give Apple a call tomorrow to see what they say.

It would be great to keep this machine running as some of the programs I use on it are not compatible with Mac OS 10.6 and later (I'm running 10.5.8 on this 20" iMac) which means I would have to upgrade other software as well.

I'll post back with what Apple has to say about it. Handy program Mactracker.

Thanks again.