LPX - Add "expression"to notes in Piano Roll? [SOLVED]

Daggilarr

I would really like to be able to add some expression to individual notes in the piano roll editor, can this be done? or must it be done while playing and recording.

What do you mean with expression? MIDI CC 11?

And no, it cannot be done to individual notes within a chord, as CC 11 is applied parallel to notes - so on monophonic material it can be added to individual notes, or better: it'll sound like that.

I heard Cubase has a feature called 'individual note expression' or something like that, which involves controllers somehow embedded in notes themselves (making it possible to target notes within a chord individually) - Logic doesn't have that. Yet.

So what do I need to do in Midi Draw to achieve a volume increase over the duration of a selected note that won't effect other notes

We seem to have crossposted - well, you can't, as I explained. There is a workaround to achieve it though.

You have to set the notes within a chord to a different MIDI channel each, and then you can target the individual notes with controller messages on the same channel.

Thanks for all the info, I get a bit lost with all the technical stuff, I am not very confident with that side of things, but I need to learn this stuff if I am going to get the sounds I want.

I saw a YouTube tutorial for changing the mod wheel to CC 11 via the environment in LP9, would this be OK for LPX ? I know this will not solve my problem fully but may help some elements.

The environment won't help you here.

What Erik said is right on the money. For any single instrument, CC#11 (or any CC for that matter) will affect whatever notes are sounding, and it will affect them all by the same amount and at the same time. That's what he meant by "parallel". So...

If you play a monophonic line (single note melody), and you draw in CC#11, it will affect that note individually. Cuz there's only one note. ;) But if you then add a harmony line to that same part (same instrument), your CC#11 curve is now going to affect the melody and harmony equally and simultaneously.

If you want to have the utmost in independence over the volume of each separate line (for example, you're writing a string quartet, so that's four individual parts) then you need to have four separate instruments, one per part. You'd then have to draw in CC#11 for each part separately.

Hope that makes sense.

Well that appears to work a treat, played in a simple melody line went back over it as you suggested "playing" the now re-assigned mod wheel and all the CC11 is there, giving w wide range of dynamic control. It may take some getting used to. Now to try it on something more complex