Logic x drummer - help with open hi hats

Brendan Ross

Can anyone explain how to trigger open hi hats in a drummer track that I have converted to midi.

Here's what I have done as a test.

I loaded the default drummer instrument. Then I convert that to midi. I then identify a piece of the drummer track that plays an open hi hat and I delete everything else in the midi region (ie kick, snare etc) until I'm left with only two notes both Bb1 (the default for open hats). if I play that back - one sounds closed and one sound open. If I look at the events list there is no difference between the 2. Changing the velocity makes no difference... What is telling the one to play open and the other to play closed? :?

Can anyone explain what is happening here ?

thanks!

I had a quick look here but it's hard to tell how DKD knows a MIDI note is an open hat or a closed one. I don't see any information in the Event List, other than the MIDI note info. For example, in the Event List below, the first hi-hat is fully closed, the second one is fully open.

Interesingly, dragging that MIDI region to a synth track makes one of the notes sound two whole tones above its actual pitch (even though both notes have the same pitch, no pitch bend events are in the region, no transposition events in global tracks...).

open-hi-hat.png.b1e54620732c7af6794c714c0a21bf3b.png

I loaded the default drummer instrument. Then I convert that to midi. I then identify a piece of the drummer track that plays an open hi hat and I delete everything else in the midi region (ie kick, snare etc) until I'm left with only two notes both Bb1 (the default for open hats). if I play that back - one sounds closed and one sound open. If I look at the events list there is no difference between the 2. Changing the velocity makes no difference... What is telling the one to play open and the other to play closed?

Articulation IDs. This is metadata, attached to a note, that selects different samples in different groups. It can be viewed in the Event list (via the Event list View menu).

If this is a Drummer/DKD kit, you can change the degree of hihat openness for already-recorded notes by changing the Articulation ID here in the Event list (there are 7 levels from closed to open). If you play one of these kits yourself, moving the modwheel should generate the IDs, which will then be available for editing.

Note, this is how the DKD hihats work in the GM+Modwheel mode (selected in the DKD extended parameters); in normal GM mode you should get the usual GM hihat layout (F#=closed, G#=foot, A#=open). In the extended mode, each of those keys has 7 levels of open->closed, with a different sticking technique for each key. A lot of the Drummer patterns mix them for realism, so you may still see different hihat notes, even though some notes have different Articulations.

Btw, if you switch the DKD plugin to an EXS and open its Edit window > Groups, you'll see the 7 hihat groups with their Articulation ID assignments (1-7); on the main panel you'll also see Ctrl#1 (modwheel) assigned to Art.ID (in the modulation matrix) for live playing control.

Cheers,

Joe

• Like 1

Articulation IDs. This is metadata, attached to a note, that selects different samples in different groups. It can be viewed in the Event list (via the Event list View menu).

If this is a Drummer/DKD kit, you can change the degree of hihat openness for already-recorded notes by changing the Articulation ID here in the Event list (there are 7 levels from closed to open). If you play one of these kits yourself, moving the modwheel should generate the IDs, which will then be available for editing.

Note, this is how the DKD hihats work in the GM+Modwheel mode (selected in the DKD extended parameters); in normal GM mode you should get the usual GM hihat layout (F#=closed, G#=foot, A#=open). In the extended mode, each of those keys has 7 levels of open->closed, with a different sticking technique for each key. A lot of the Drummer patterns mix them for realism, so you may still see different hihat notes, even though some notes have different Articulations.

Btw, if you switch the DKD plugin to an EXS and open its Edit window > Groups, you'll see the 7 hihat groups with their Articulation ID assignments (1-7); on the main panel you'll also see Ctrl#1 (modwheel) assigned to Art.ID (in the modulation matrix) for live playing control.

Cool! :)

J.

There was a lengthy thread on Articulation IDs on another forum (I forget which one) a while back.. Someone there noticed that there was little or nothing in the downloadable PDF manual, but there were some mentions in the online manual (at least, that was the case a month ago, the PDF might have been updated by now, for all I know)..

If you go to https://help.apple.com/logicpro and search Articulation ID, several pages come up.. I guess eventually they'll document this a bit more thoroughly, along with other EXS features..

Apparently, the IDs can be viewed/edited in other editors, but in practice I found this to be a bit flaky—perhaps it's a work in progress..

Cheers,

Joe

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
But when I export the midi of a perfectly working Hi Hat track with different degrees of openness, all I get back is the max open on all notes. Can't send that to the protools studio. How do I get the midi 'export' function to read all degrees of openness? Hope this is a good place to ask this question. Closest I've come so far. Thank you!

Much appreciate your coming back to this page and offering your view of this big surprise to me. I've learned a lot from you in the past. :-)

It's really nice to be able to edit the AID numbers in the event window for the open hi hat. Works great. Thank you! Only thing is that it makes no sense to midi as it writes an open high hat full open message completely destroying the midi track. I can't use it in a distant studio that uses pro tools with Steve Slate sampler if the midi track doesn't have the right info. You said to convert to foot controller which makes sense. Is that a process you can share here? I stared at the event list and foot controller window in the piano roll. I'm pretty sure the manual has nothing on this. Do so appreciate being able to ask here.  

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
...could someone help explain this to me? ... I don't really understand the GM + Modwheel controls option.

You'll be better off in the long run to just set that issue aside for awhile, watch this tutorial all the way through, then re-approach. Rinse and repeat as necessary. The tutorial literally covers everything anyone will ever need to know about MIDI (except writing code, but there's other tutorials for that). I can assure you it will be worth your time.

https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/midi101

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

To control hi hat articulation with a midi controller expression wheel/joystick/whatever, open the drum kit designer, clieck the bottom-left arrow, go to input mapping and select GM + modwheel controls hihat. Done. (Currently using Logic 10.4.4)

To sum up all the ways:

- While playing (midi controller): drum kit designer > input mapping > GM + modwheel controls hihat

953176035_Schermata2020-01-12alle14_44_41.thumb.png.adca3820d3b64727cb614122d8087ede.png

- After playing/writing:

a. Events panel > view > articulation ID > change values in table

1315805403_Schermata2020-01-12alle14_47_47.thumb.png.17e3e737ef509aa458ed917e42ff25db.png

b. Piano Roll > right click on the event/note > articulation > select

1551365612_Schermata2020-01-12alle14_48_04.thumb.png.b2becefade43ed3d1a735085265fefcd.png

yes it's a hi hat sample - I hit "record" in the overhead track in the DKD (the only one with that option), and the select the hat channel, then hit R for record - it pastes in the midi parts into the hat track doing things that way, no problem. Very frustrating getting this far, and I'm guessing I'm only 1 - 2 steps away from getting this dialed in - but cannot find any info online on this anywhere (yet)

• 1 year later...

I'm recording V-Drums into Logic. I have my Input Map set to V-Drums. I'm having this same open hihat articulation issue.

I can "play" all the articulations but when it comes to any editing if I move or alter an open hihat sound in any way it destroys it and becomes a closed hat sound.

When I open my Event List, articulation for all notes simply shows "-". 1004864314_ScreenShot2021-03-19at1_38_30PM.png.e540d5f1e8e45f19c8168506ce8b63bc.png

When I Right-click the note in Piano Roll and choose Articulation I get the same "-".

1382158440_ScreenShot2021-03-19at1_38_49PM.png.de273974c6647ae448408693ec401901.png

Is there a simple setting I need to adjust somewhere?

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...