Automation not in sync [FIXED]

Music Dude

I have sample accurate automation set to "Volume, pan, sends, plug-in parameters" but nevertheless the automation is nowhere near sample accurate. I like to automate/lower the volume of breaths in the vocal so they don't get too loud after compression. The automation doesn't sync with what I see and therefore the rides go into the vocal instead of just affecting the breaths.

To clarify: the automation is early. If I do a volume ride of a breath between words, the end of the previous word gets lowered and the end of the breath is still the full volume.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

This is a known bug that happens when having latency-inducing plug-ins in aux or output channel strips (happens in Logic 9 as well).

The easiest solution to force the automation to be compensated for is to set the output of the affected channel strip to a bus. Either that or (gasp!) compensate by manually moving the automation until it sounds right.

J.

The easiest solution to force the automation to be compensated for is to set the output of the affected channel strip to a bus.

Very nice, thanks ! Until now, i always re align manually my automations, quite time consuming on a large session ...

Thanks to Eric Cardenas for that tip!

I agree having to do that for many tracks is just crazy. Having your tracks passing through an aux before reaching the output channel is perfectly acceptable, and sometimes a necessity (when dealing with submixes, for example).

J.

I use submixes but still have delayed automation. But my submixes have their own plugins insert. I guess this re induce delay right ?

Not here. After setting the output of an automated track to a bus, the automation still sounds right even if there are more latency inducing plug-ins on the aux where the automated track's signal comes in. What doesn't get fixed is the visual delay caused by all the latency. This is another known bug/limitation: Graphics are not compensated for in Logic.

J.

I don't get it. What's the point of doing all this if graphics are not compensated ? You still can't visually cut the breaths in a vocal performance, right ?

You can. Graphics are not compensated in the sense that what you hear is not in sync with what you see (you press play and audio starts a bit after the playhead starts moving), but that won't prevent you from cutting a breath by bringing down the automation based on what you see on the region (the waveform).

If you don't set the output of the automated channel to a bus, then you will have a problem for editing because it will sound wrong even if your automation edits look right.

Try it yourself in case that wasn't very clear.

J.

• 1 year later...