LOGIC RECORDING OVERDUBS OUT OF SYNC

EmptyVesselband

Hey everybody. Ive had this problem for  a while. Until now I thought it must have been some setting that got changed that was even getting passed along to new equipment and software updates but now I can see thats not possible. 

When I record a session and then go to do overdubs the overdubs are a tiny bit late. ITS INFURIATING!  Now this problem started for me 2 or 3  interfaces ago and 2 laptops ago. At least 5 years ago! I at one point had resolved to going into the record settings and set the recording to be offset by some amount of milliseconds that fixed it. well now that its happening again that setting option doesnt seem to be there any more.

Im using a mid 2015 MAcbook pro, OS 10.12.3, a motu 1248 interface and a Audient ASP 880 for additional inputs and Im pretty sure Im using its clock. 

SOMEONE has to be able to help me figure this out. I paid for this software and this problem has persisted for me for years now, across many pieces of equipment and software updates. 

thank you for any help!

Hey, I feel your pain with this one. I had too experienced his issue, except my regions were becoming early instead of late. And they are timestamped in the incorrect position. It still happens now and again and I've never really got to the bottom of it.

I'm absolutely certain it's a problem with the delay compensation and some plugins. Do you use UAD? There is a definitely a correlation between having UAD plugins active anywhere in a session (not necessarily on said channel or any busses). That said, Is sure it's happened with other plugins.

Next time it happens, save a copy of your session and start removing plugins and try and record a bit over and over (you may just want to run a click through your system to save you playing guitar over and over...

Something like that happened to me before long time ago but I fixed it and can't recall what was the prob. What I would do first if you have not done it yet:

Freez all other tracks before recording

Set your buffer to very small lke 64 (small to record and large to play back)

Any latency when you record or you just notice it afterwards..?

There is a test I did that you you can do to make sure: write a clic in a piano roll with midi notes. Then use a audio recording of either your voice or a guitar and make shure to fallow the clic with short sharp  sounds that have no decay. When you have a good 4 bar very sharp on it, make a audio cue and then play it and see if everything is in sync.

If you want to push it further make the piano roll notes bounce to audio befor so the cpu or ram does not affect the sample playback of the clic...Then you will be audio to ausio.

Let us know if you find the ghost in the maschine...

Steeve

moonchicago1 I only have an entry level knowledge of Logic so I dont know how to do many of those things. Freeze tracks?   

There is no latency while playing/recording. Only on playback.  Im not sure I understand you suggestion for the click in piano roll either. Thanks so much for the help though!

moonchicago1

That sounds like a great place to start, though I cant think of any plugins that Ive been using all along for 5 years. I'll try it though. No UAD plugins, no. thanks!!!

Im using a mid 2015 MAcbook pro, OS 10.12.3, a motu 1248 interface and a Audient ASP 880 for additional inputs and Im pretty sure Im using its clock.

This is different from your sig....but first things first....you should simplify your rig for testing.

Given the small - but consistent - delay....and your lack of confidence about the clock master, I think this may be where your issue lies.

Run ONLY the MotU - and completely disconnect all clocking between it/the Audient.

The MotU will probably be the clock master by default....

Test to see if your overdubs are OK...trying different buffer settings, plugs, delay compensation on/off etc. etc. as suggested by the guys above.

If you still have delays...make the Mac the Clock Master...and retest.

Hopefully everything will be cool.

If so....when you add the Audient back into the rig, experiment with the Clock Master/slave devices - but keep in mind that there can be only ONE clock master device. Set these MANUALLY, don't rely on "Auto" settings.

Logic is weird. Sometimes I have to stop the playback and play it again before the delay compensation kick in. Also weird when doing safe solo on tracks since I input monitor on an audio track not using bounce unless its a film/clip score. Logic wont solo. Then I removed the solo safe then turn it on again, it worked. Very weird. I also punch in when recording takes, and its all in the take folder so I can comp later. But sometimes it goes too messy that things overlap and they dont merge as one when recording. Lol.

• 6 months later...
OK its doing it again. I havent changed anything. I removed the Audient and no change. I cant seem to find the master clock settings but shouldnt it automatically set back to MAC when I remove the audient??? and where would I change the buffer size? other suggestions? sorry I dont really know this technical stuff at all, though Im perfectly capable. Seems hard to find this info online. thanks!

I changed buffer to 64.... no change.

So to clarify again heres what its doing now... I record to a click. you can visiblely SEE the soundwaves are NOT on the bar line that i just recorded to, perfectly, mind you. Playback sounds perfect UNTIL i go to record an overdub. THEN the previously recorded track(s) will play out of sync, as they appear, just away from the bar line. PLEASE, ANYONE HELP??