Help with HiHat articulation setup [SOLVED]

Danny Wyatt

UPDATE: The workaround is here: viewtopic.php?p=853904#p853904

Please note that below that reply from Dewdman42 I mention that using NoteOn instead of just Note made my kit act weird, so use the original code with just Note provided in the code shared in the link above.

---

As some people suggested, in order to being able to use the HiHat articulation, I needed to change the Input Mapping to V-Drum.

At least with my Alesis Surge, as a default, when I change it to either V-Drum or GM+ModWheel, the HiHat only plays the closed HiHat sound.

When set to GM only, I am able to play all the sounds.

Now I have an articulation that I created for when I'm using the piano roll and it works.

I'm a very beginner when it comes to articulations, so I pretty much just created that articulation, it worked, and I've never needed to dig deeper until now, so I have no idea how it works...

What I'm trying to achieve is to have the velocity control different articulations on the closed HiHat only. For example:

1 - Velocity 1 to 50 plays Closed HiHat 1

2 - Velocity 51 to 115 plays Closed HiHat 2

3 - Velocity 116 to 127 plays Closed HiHat 3 (on the image below it says 115, but I changed it to 116 and it doesn't make a difference)

4 - All my notes with the HiHat foot pedal up still play the Open HiHat as it does in a normal situation.

I've decided to open the articulation I created and by trial and error I was able to achieve the first 3 goals when it comes to the Closed HiHat.

But when I have my foot pedal up, it's still applying the same concept of 1, 2 and 3. It doesn't play the Open HiHat.

Here's what I have so far. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

963823460_ScreenShot2022-02-15at1_54_24PM.png.3afbf6995131d80f8753ae33e2aa9413.png

264705111_ScreenShot2022-02-15at1_54_30PM.png.873bfb7563042bf35ac8b86bd9da673e.png

1058374378_ScreenShot2022-02-15at1_54_33PM.png.6eb0a2fe3ee7ac8a35aa3d7d6d75ed92.png

I don't have much experience with the input switch behavior of articulation set's, so I can't really offer a for sure suggestion, but just want to say that it may have something to do with the "mode" you setup the switches...so that the open hi hat uses a latch or something.

I can appreciate that you're attempting to use articulation set to solve your drum kit issues..and please let us know if you figure it out. It may not be appropriate because you don't really have a keyswitch to use. the actual A#1, which I guess must be the pitch of open hit hat pedal, needs to actually trigger the open hi hat sound, not function as a keyswitch. But anyway, like I said, this very well may be possible I have not spent any time with the input switch section of articulation sets to understand exactly how it works.

also the action of articulation set is typically to either channelize the actual notes...or to send more keyswitches..which is not going to help you either I don't think.

You are going to be better off using Scripter to do what you want to do, though it MIGHT be possible to use the articulation set to encode an articulationID to each note you are playing...based on some rules..and then use scripter to easily translate that into output notes...by reading the articulationID in scripter..