File cannot be saved as...

JCcares

Hello all,

Just launched into Pro X & experimenting on the amazing abilities.I happened strike a few notes on inspiration & record them but I am having saving issues now.When I initially opened up the new project it had a default name as 'Untitled tracks'.I tried to change it's name & select 'save as' or even 'save a copy as' under a different name,but I get this message

The document “......logicx” could not be saved. The file doesn’t exist. .

Usually when i work on a project in pro 9 I set a folder & save it on a chosen location before I start the work.I did not do that this time as I was only jamming.I am just wondering why it does not allow to rename.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well after posting the above I did a 'Save as' on the default Logic folder & it worked alright.Previously I tried saving it on the external drive directly & it didn't work.Still wondering why!

You could try running Disk Utility and perform Repair Permissions on your external disk.

On the other hand, the message that "the document doesn't exist" is mindboggling. Did you get the message exactly as you typed it, or was there a name on the multiple dots?

The dots stand for the project name I had given.

I'm having the same issue. Ran disk utility on my external and the disk is fine. Wonder what's going on here? "New Folder" is greyed out when I go to save as well, so can't create a new folder either. Says "The document '03 Songwriter.logicx' could not be not be saved as 'new name.logicx' . The file doesn't exist." :?:

• 3 weeks later...
There is something up with your disk (probably having to do with free block count, bad blocks, or directory issues). Disk Utility is pretty good with most things, but it doesn't always catch every little thing (like in my case). To save you from having to wipe and reformat your external disk, I would really recommend getting Disk Warrior from Alsoft. It has saved me many times. Between that and Disk Utility, there's no disk hiccup you can't fix. http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

Unfortunately, no. The only other thing you can do is move everything to another external, and reformat the whole disk from scratch. If you've got (or can borrow) one, that would be an option. If you choose that option, I would zero the drive, just to be safe. That's going to take several hours, possibly all night, depending on the size of your disk. Spending money is a drag in this instance, but I can tell you that DW has paid for itself many times over for me. Especially when you consider, it takes about 5 minutes, and you're back up and running. Time is money too. Hope everything works out for you...

• 1 year later...
I am experiencing the same issue when I try to save to my internal SSD (not the Mac HD disk Logic X wants to automatically save to). Going to trouble shoot a bit and see if I can solve this on my own . . . if not I'll try out DiskWarrior.

I am experiencing the same issue when I try to save to my internal SSD

i have no trouble saving to the internal SSD from the same install of LPX on the same computer if I login under a different user.

So you have the same issue when trying to save to the SSD from that account, but not if you log in under a different user account? That seems like it could be a preference issue.

Try to trash the Logic preferences in the account exhibiting the issue?

Hello again,

So it turns out that somehow the Logic Pro X folder I had previously created on my internal SSD got itself switched to being owned solely by the second User Account I mentioned (the one that saved successfully), with my primary user account no longer having any write privileges to it. I have no idea how that change happened, but in the end it was a simple fix - about 5 seconds with the Permissions Reset app - and now all is back to normal.

• 1 month later...
Hello again,

So it turns out that somehow the Logic Pro X folder I had previously created on my internal SSD got itself switched to being owned solely by the second User Account I mentioned (the one that saved successfully), with my primary user account no longer having any write privileges to it. I have no idea how that change happened, but in the end it was a simple fix - about 5 seconds with the Permissions Reset app - and now all is back to normal.

What is Permissions Reset app and where would I find it?

I have a variation of this issue ( file cannot be saved/does not exist) : - just had a brand new SSD installed with new OSX on my 2006 Macpro which has been updated from 10.5.8 to OSX10.7.5 ( i.e. you cannot go higher than this on Macpro 2006 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon without spending a fortune on a new graphics card) and therefore can only run Logic 9 as I discovered after I had paid to have the new SSD installed with new operating system :(

Not being able to install Logic X on this new system ( I had already bought it for my Macbook Pro) is a real nuisance, and to top that Logic 9 does not seem to be downloadable from Apple for existing owners, so I went through the long process of installing L9 from my original disks and then software upgrading to latest version of L9 - at least is a fresh install on a new SSD

I realise from the above post that I have 2 accounts effectively - and was wondering if you could explain in more detail what Permissons Reset App is ..

Presumably I will be able to open a Logic Project from the old Hard Drive and save it to the new one once the permissions are sorted?

At the moment I can open Projects from old Hard Drive but cannot properly save them either on the original place or on the new HD - just get the message coming up which is the head of this thread.

• 1 month later...
Sorry to resurrect Zombie thread but I'm having the exact same issue. In the intervening year or so has anyone else encountered this issue? I try to save to the internal drive I have all my Logic sessions on and it says 'Cannot save XXXX the file doesn't exist'. When I try to navigate the folder structure in the save dialog it says the disk is 'read only'. Disk utility says otherwise. I can save within the Logic folder on my main drive but I don't want to. I need to be able to save to this separate production hard drive. Any suggestions?

• 6 months later...

Just encountered this issue for the first time, again, like several peeps in this thread, after installing a new SSD (on a 2008 Mac Pro running El Cap).

Disk Warrior said the disk was 7 efficient so I restructured it but that didn't help.

In the end I got info on the drive and was told I couldn't write to it so I hit the + button and added myself to the list, then selected 'read and write' and that has worked.

Hope this is helpful

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM ON MY COMPUTER!

(My trouble started when Logic kept re-scanning a few of my plugins every time I started it, so I created a new user account, and fixed that problem while simultaneously creating this one.)

This is how I fixed the problem:

1. Right-click on the file I was originally working on (the .logicx file)

2. Clicked the "Get Info" function.

3. Clicked the lock (typed in admin password).

4. Clicked the + button to add my new User account.

5/ Finally, I added Read & Write permissions for "everyone" for "staff" and for my new User account.

I also did this for my external drive and the folder that my song was originally saved in. (You may not need to go to that extent, but I tried those things before changing the permissions on my .logicx file, so you might be able to save some time. I also don't know if I needed to add "staff" or "everyone" but I did, and it's working.)

NOTE: Previous to all of this, I used Disk Utility to repair permissions on my external hard drive, but that didn't do anything. So I didn't include it in the directions. But if all else fails, it can't hurt to try it.

I hope this helps someone. It took me a long time to type. And like someone said earlier in this dinosaur of a thread... time is money

Peace!

-LifeWhyz [WGS]