Logic Pro X - Project not opening [SOLVED]

grizlie

Please help! I've been working on a project for some time, and since adding Space Designer, it's completely failed to open.

Whenever I attempt to open it, it shows it's loading all the software tracks, then it freezes. It slows down my whole MacBook, and it chews up about 6GB of memory!!

So far, I've tried the following:

- disabling 'core audio' then reopening

- opening a new project/track and importing project settings

Any help would be very much appreciated here please!!! Thanks

Welcome to Logic Pro Help.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.3)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.8.5)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

So far, I've tried the following:

- disabling 'core audio' then reopening

And then what happened? Did you remove the offending plug-in?

J.

Thanks for the welcome Jordi. I've updated my sig as requested.

About removing the offending plug-in… how do I go about doing this? Basically, I read online that I could launch Logic and disable the Core Audio by holding Option as it's launching. I did that, then I tried to reopen my project, but it was the same - just freezes.

I read somewhere else that I could import it into a new project, problem is, when I select the project in browser view and select open (which is supposed to be followed by a listing of all tracks with a click box of what I want to be transferred) it just freezes!

Please help! I don't want to lose all my work :(

I had a similar problem, and a similar frustration. My session would not open. But if I persistently tried to open it, it would open on maybe the 4th try, and crash soon after. I even tried the core audio fix, and I tried making session copies. Because of my stack tracks and such, import into a new session was messy and everything did not copy right.

However, here is what worked for me, and solved my problem:

It seemed that the session had got too big. I closed every program, and startup item that I could close except Logic X to maximize memory. I then got the session to open after repeated tries. As soon as this happened I did a "Save a Copy As".

Now this Saved Copy had the same issues as the original, but this time when I finally got it to open, I went to "Project Management / Clean Up..". I deleted the files. I then deleted any unnecessary tracks. I also went to the Project Browser and deleted any unused files. Basically I did what ever I could to make the session smaller. I then saved this session, and my problem went away, and never came back!

I hope that can help you, because it saved my life.

Your project is getting stuck on data related to the file "O Ai Ea A'u Nei 2". I've seen this kind of thing happen before. You'll have to be patient and just leave it loading (go for a walk, watch a movie, etc) ...it should eventually open and allow you to remove the corrupted region from the Project Audio Browser. After doing that, you just save the project and the problem should be solved.

J.

One more thing: how can I identify the troubled file in the Project Audio Browser?

864810659_ScreenShot2013-11-19at09_33_37.png.97399c8d792e31739eae3f79e996093c.png

Keep in mind that there's probably nothing wrong with the actual audio file. The corruption is in a region associated to this file...and since the region is part of the project you can see this as a form of project corruption.

EDIT: With previous version of Logic you could see which file it was. When your project gets stuck, there's really no indication of which file is the culprit :?

J.

Well, after letting it 'cook' overnight, I was greeted this morning with the following:

[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 7.12.42 AM.png[/attachment]

I forgot to mention that I got a similar window at some point while trying to open your file (although without the reference to disk space). This never happened in previous versions of OSX (10.6.x and earlier) when trying to open problematic projects like this. It's as if OSX gets tired of trying to open it...

J.

Thank you to both you gentlemen for trying to help. I suspect you may be right Jordi, and it's time to start planning on rebuilding this project again :(

In regards to that, is there any special tricks that I should know about to simply the process of transferring midi and audio files from my existing project folder to a new project? Is the midi information stored somewhere, because I can't see it right away.

Also, is there any safeguard practice that I can utilise on my new project, as well my other projects, that will prevent me falling victim to this unknown problem again? As I am unable to identify the problematic plugin/audio file/whatever, how do I know what to look out for in the future?

Just any information to assist me in moving forward safely and QUICKLY would be very much appreciated and welcomed. Thanks again Jordi and David for your time and advice thus far.

Good news! I managed to rescue your project!

I did it by going into the project file package (control-click the project file > Show Package Contents), and replacing the "Project Data" file in Alternatives > 000 with the “Project Data” file that was inside the "07” folder in the "Project File Backups" folder.

J.

O Ai Ea A'u Nei 2.logicx.zip

Yo Jordi!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!! I cannot thank you enough man! Seriously, no homo - I love you man! LOL!

FYI - the song title is Samoan, and it says "Who Am I (that you'd care)", and I feel like that right now :) Over the moon is an understatement!!! You are a LPX guru, and I thank God for you! True BOSS!!!

Respect +1million!

• 5 years later...

I'm having this problem too, but mine has been since I was able to recover the files from my hard drive that had broken.

I can find all the files, they are complete, but it doesn't open. I NEED YOUR HELP A LOT! PLEASE

I'm very grateful

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Logic Pro X

Mac mini (Mid 2011)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

• 6 months later...

For someone with this kind of issue, it might also be because iLok or some other license module is asking for a license in the background and for some reason doesn't manage to bring the license dialog to the front. This just happened to me because i forgot to put my iLok in. Logic's "Loading" window was misleading showing as Fabfilter Pro-Q was loading when in fact the problem was iLok not finding a license for a Soundtoys plugin present in the session.

When i didn't have any other applications open, the dialog would not appear, so it really seemed there was something wrong with the project. But when i opened Chrome and came here to search for a solution and reopened the session and waited a while (or might have clicked the Chrome window to activate it) the license dialog suddenly appeared and i was able to see what was wrong and fix it (plug the iLok in...).

LPX 10.4.8 / Mojave 10.14.6