Glissando symbol in the score editor: how to notate it?

EnricoRipalti

Hi Everybody!

I'm having a harp part which obviously plays Glissando (that's what harps are for, right? :wink: ). The thing is, where is the Glissando symbol in the Part box? I searched everywhere and the closest things I found are:

• - A straight line
    - A wiggly line that only goes horizontally or vertically

...but none of them is exactly what I'm looking for. I need this http://static.graphemica.com/glyphs/i500s/000/001/834/original/1D1B2-500x500.png?1275290680 .

Anyone can help?

Thanks a lot,

Enrico

Your example has a squiggly line at an angle. That is not commonly used for a harp glissando.

Click on the part box that has a slur and a crescendo hairpin in its icon. In that you will find a line on an angle. Drag that into the score. The top end will show a handle once the mouse is over it, to adjust the height. On the lower end, the other handle will let you set the symbol position. The same element would be used for a descending glissando -- just lower the right-most edge.

Sometimes "gliiss." written at an angle that follows the line symbol. That would be a lot of work in Logic, and it's probably not needed. Harpists don't need glissandos explained.

The harp does use the squiggly line for a strum, sometimes with an arrow up or down. But that is a vertical symbol. It's for a concise arpeggio, not separated enough to notate, and not a glissando.

Cheers.

• 9 months later...

Wow! Where have you been for 9 months!

Gliss's are visual and don't affect playback. However interestingly enough today I created a font which has the gliss symbols as I was getting fed up with logic only providing a diagonal line. Logic really needs to incorporate the standard gliss symbol and the ability to rotate text and position at any angle!

"Where have you been for 9 months!" That's funny. I mean, I literally laughed out loud. But I love that a guy remembers the post and picks it up again instead of creating another thread.

Yes, it is best to view Score in Logic in a downstream habitat, receiving instructions from above (Main / Arrange) and only reporting what it sees in graphical terms. The chief exception are the sustain pedal markings, which actually send CC 64's upstream, affecting playback. And then there's that appendix of MIDI symbols which alter playback of pre-existing MIDI notes. (I'm eighteen years in Logic and I haven't used that ONCE.)

But that's it. You'll have to pencil or play in all the notes to hear them. And then ironically, you'll need to create a score style to hide the very notes you just created. (Or you can shrink them with the format tool for a written-out gliss.)

Some score-meisters like ski have separate performance and printing files because of similar issues.