Track Selection With Program Change [SOLVED]

redgreenblue

I'm so close to getting this but am missing a final step.

What I'm trying to do is be able to change the instrument I play and record with a program change. I use Logic live and my normal setup is a Novation SL61 keyboard. With that I can change what track I'm recording on with the track select buttons on the keyboard. Often in my set I am playing a Casio AZ-1. I want to be able to change the instrument I'm playing remotely using the pgm change buttons. I know I can set up 'select next track' and 'select previous track' commands, and have. But I'd like to not have to scroll though tracks AND not have to see the computer screen to know I'm on the correct instrument.

In the environment I set up a cable switcher that responds to pgm changes, wired each output to a midi instrument object and wired the midi instrument to each software instrument that I want. That works 100%, I can select remotely without seeing the screen. What I can't do yet is record these parts and have them playing the instrument I want. I can record, but when I change the instrument the midi events are triggered on whatever channel I have the cable switcher on.

The ultimate goal is to be able to record different midi parts and change sounds and not have to look at the screen and not touch the computer. I'm pretty good in the environment and happy to transform the pgm change coming from the Casio to anything else. I know I'm close but would gladly accept any help.

I'm sorry if I could have explained this better. In a perfect world I'd like to be able to change tracks in the main window (formerly Arrange window) with pgm commands. Somehow Automap lets you choose tracks non-sequentially, I'd like to do that without Automap.

You can do it by installing one of the supported control surface configurations from the Control Surfaces Setup window (an Emagic Logic Control, for example) changing its input port to that of your MIDI controller, and then editing the assignments that trigger the various channel strip "Select" commands in the Controller Assignments window (Expert View). Those are limited to 8 channel strips, but if you combine them with the "Bank Left" and "Bank Right" commands, you'll have access to practically all tracks/channel strips in your project:

664740952_PCTrackSelect.thumb.gif.d3b6858d92dd420572aaff3702c846a7.gif

J.

You're welcome.

Here's a screen shot of the controller assignment window corresponding with what is shown in the previous animated GIF.

I removed all assignments I didn't need just to keep things clearer. I've marked in red the stuff I changed. Keep in mind that the Value Change field expects hexadecimal numbers. Here you see C0 which means "a MIDI Channel 1 Program Change message". You may find Table 2 at this page from midi.org useful:

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php

If you plan to use program changes to control the Bank Left and Right commands, don't forget to uncheck the Key Repeat box at the bottom of the window.

2002957510_ScreenShot2014-11-14at20_50_14.thumb.png.1a7fdc6a6f5287a30f79155f5ca56ddc.png

PS: Please click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

J.

• 2 years later...
I'm sorry if I could have explained this better. In a perfect world I'd like to be able to change tracks in the main window (formerly Arrange window) with pgm commands. Somehow Automap lets you choose tracks non-sequentially, I'd like to do that without Automap.

You can do it by installing one of the supported control surface configurations from the Control Surfaces Setup window (an Emagic Logic Control, for example) changing its input port to that of your MIDI controller, and then editing the assignments that trigger the various channel strip "Select" commands in the Controller Assignments window (Expert View). Those are limited to 8 channel strips, but if you combine them with the "Bank Left" and "Bank Right" commands, you'll have access to practically all tracks/channel strips in your project:

PC Track Select.gif

J.

Hi Jordi,

I actually found a way to select the n-th track beyond the limit of 8. If you go to the Logic Control assignment to select a track, you can copy-paste it with cmd-c cmd-v. Then instead of Fader Bank use index. You can set this number to anything you like, it is the n-th track in the session. If you repeat this say 200 times you can select any of the 200 tracks in your session, and have it mapped to a CC or note number.

This way you don't need to switch betweeen banks of 8 tracks.

• 2 months later...

I came across this thread and I think it has the answer but I need a better explanation on how to set this up.

I want to use program changes or CC commands to select any one of my 38 midi tracks in Logic. For example, for my orchetrsal template I want to be able to select, say Midi track 2 (Flute) using my external controller (I'm using Metagrid).

So I think the answer is in this thread I'm just lost on how to set this up.  Can someone help me?

Thanks!

- Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm trying to do this exact same thing and can't seem to figure it out with Logic Pro 10.3.1.

I don't need to do the bank left or right part. I just want to switch between 8 tracks using the Program change 0-7 messages. In the screenshot above, the parameter for this is Select, but where can I find that? Its not in the Channel Strip class? Also I can't get index to work. 

Any help would be much appreciated.