Capture recording creates take folder

JMH

Hi,

The capture recording function is creating an annoying take folder. Never did this before switching computers so it must be a pref setting.

Went into song settings/recording/ midi/ and I do not have "create take folders" selected.

Any idea how to disable this?

Thanks.

I don't use capture as recording much, but I just tried it and couldn't get it to create take folders at all. I can't think of any setting that would affect that (even when "Create take folders" is selected, it won't create take folders). I can't think of what could trigger that behavior on your new machine. Does it behave like that in a new empty project? Have you tried resetting your preferences?

Thanks for responding.

On closer inspection it seems the issue is only happening with a few specific Spitfire libraries running in Kontakt.

very weird.

eDNA Earth

Albion series

While playing and using mod wheel and capturing recording. Issue does not occur when record is pressed.

If anyone could load one of these libraries up in kontakt and do a capture recording (play notes while togling mod wheel or other controllers during playback. then stop. then command k) and lmi if you are experiencing as well.

Will be reaching out to spitfire as well, but would love to know if this is happening for everyone.

Thanks.

Would you by any chance have cycle activated?

Creating a take folder might make some sense then, when capuring what was played if it was played over several cycles...

Didn't try it, though (and I'm not in front of my computer to test it), so it's really a "just in case" comment here.

Thanks guys. Cycle is not on.

The issue seems to occur using complex patches where mod wheel controls multiple parameters, as opposed to, say, LASS, where mod wheel only controls 1. Only happens in capture recording though, not normal recording, which is very odd.

Confirmed the issue exists in logic 9 and X, and confirmed colleagues are experiencing the same thing. Not just with Spitfire libraries.

Was hoping this was a pref setting somewhere, but fairly sure It's a logic bug in capture recording. No reason a plugin should hijack Logic's midi input functionality, especially when it doesn't happen during normal recording.

Is there a best way to report bugs for Logic?

Hi David,

One pass, single patch on midi channel 1.

Screenshot below. Using Logic's "Capture recording" feature, the performance is split into (this time) 58 "takes" or regions, each containing only 1 or 2 midi events in each. Recording a similar performance using traditional "press record" method yields a single midi region inclusive of all notes and cc info, as expected.

Spitfire's response was that Logic seems to be misinterpreting the mod wheel parameters and splitting them out like this, but *why is another question. At any rate, my colleagues confirmed the issue with other non-Spitfire libraries as well.

1815607228_Logicmiditakefolderissue.thumb.png.e65b6f39cc3c1e43ceb244eb082da0aa.png

The issue only presents itself when instruments/patches where mod wheel controls multiple parameters are used. Doesn't occur when no mod wheel is used, mod wheel is used on simpler patches, or no instrument/plugin is assigned to track.

Thanks for your help, but it's a bug. Reporting it to Apple.

Is there a best way to report bugs for Logic?

Based on what you describe, I have no clue. It's really like LP is demixing the stuff based on CC value 2 numbers... ? weird.

Anyway, just in case, to answer your question above :

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Don't expect a reply, but my understanding is that posts there are read, nonetheless.

• 5 months later...

I'm having this issue in 10.1.1

No mod wheel events though--and no cycle recording. On my current project (which is pretty simple) I cannot seem to get it to stop chopping up my performances into take folders when using the Capture Recording function. It only seems to happen on certain sessions under certain conditions. I have no idea what they are but it's a problem still. And I've noticed this from time to time in all versions of LPX, but it doesn't happen in every session.

The only clue I can offer is that it is screwing up the takes by creating really long sustained notes which weren't sustained. And when those sustained notes "occur" that's where it chops up the takes. It's as though it isn't getting some of the note-off data and therefore thinks that's a reason to cut the part into separate takes or something.

But it isn't my controller because it doesn't do this in record mode--only capture mode.

I've been having this problem since Logic 9 too, and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool capture guy (I rarely actually ever go into record). Though I work with cycle on almost all the time, I never actually do any kind of cycle recording. So cycle isn't the culprit, and this is confirmed by the fact that every (grrr) single time this problem comes up, wishful thinking takes over and I turn off cycle to see if that makes a difference. Never does.

I've also had this take folder thing happen with notes.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem. It actually does this with audio AND midi for me. I have found that if I do it again, after a few times recording, it will eventually stop creating take folders. It usually takes 3 or 4 times. When I do the exact same thing and get different results, it has to be a bug right? Also, I've had this happen in capture mode AND regular record mode. The fact that it does it with audio for me probably means that it's not a midi controller issue. I've gone through all the possible fixes that are listed in several forums, but none of them work. I'm convinced it's just a bug. I really hope they fix it soon. It's so annoying.

• 5 months later...

I recently experienced this bug whilst using Logic 10.2.0 and OS X 10.10.5.

I experienced MIDI data getting split across multiple takes in a take folder when using "Capture Recording" for a single (no cycle) take. This behaviour affected a single project - if I started an empty project it wouldn't suffer the problem, but as soon as I reverted to the problematic project, the issue returned.

The bug seemingly disappeared when I disabled MIDI Chase for Notes in the Project Settings (which I had specifically enabled for this project and would usually have off). Re-enabling note chase did not bring the bug back (not immediately at least).

I would suggest users suffering this bug try disabling note chase and post back here with the results.

There is another thread relating to this bug on the Apple Support Forum - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4790292

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...