Mystery controls (audio device controls)

PBJ

So this is probably a dumb question, but these aren't documented anywhere I can find. What are these controls at the top of each Audio channel strip?

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/omalley/mystery.jpeg

One is maybe phase reversal? Quick help does not recognize these and I haven't found them in the list of new features.

Never mind, got it--they are controls for controllable mic pres. They work with the Apogee Duet--turn phantom power on and off, reverse phase, and control gain. Brilliant!

Doesn't seem to be working with my FW Ensemble. Anything special you had to do?

To find out if it works with your interface, go to the Mixer's View menu > Channel strip Components > Audio Device Controls.

It works with the built-in audio card and even with Soundflower.

J.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After years of using Logic 2 through 9, I'm now starting to use X 10.1.1 .... presently just getting a feel for things. Which brought me to this thread - I use a MOTU 828mkII and I have a do-nothing knob at the top of my audio tracks. Which is interesting, because the feature was introduced in 10.1 ("Mixer now allows remote control of microphone and other input settings for compatible audio interfaces"), then fixed in 10.1.1 ("Audio Device controls no longer sometimes display non-functional buttons for the attached audio interface") ...

I'm glad I found this thread, or I'd probably still be wondering what they're supposed to be.

812355787_UselessButtonscopy.jpg.1932f76aa9f2591e848e641d3b6d6e99.jpg

Since this cool feature currently just takes up space on my screen, I just hid the audio device controls in the mixer by unchecking View > Channel Strip Components > Audio Device Controls.

• 1 year later...
After 10.3 Update the audio device control i don't have in channel strip (i can't make it active), but i have in the Mixer..... :(

I can confirm this issue here in an empty project. In the Inspector, if I control-click the left channel strip and choose Channel Strip Components > Audio Device Controls, that entry does not become selected in the pop-up menu, it stays unselected, and the controls are not displayed on the channel strip. They are displayed in the Mixer.

device-control.gif.d93969b927938f0c825d0efab57163f2.gif

• 1 month later...
I spoke to MOTU today and was told the Audio Device Control feature was not supported. Kind of a shame seeing they were one of the first companies to make Audio Interfaces. They suggested I use Cuemix which I do but only grudgingly.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hey There

I run Logic ProX 10.4.0 with focusrite rednet 2x MP8R and Rednet AMS2

Has anyone tried to make this work to remotely change at least gain from within Logic ?

Thanks

Alex

I have a focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen and it does NOT work with that.

Come to think of it: that interface has real 270 degree knobs for the gain of the four xlr/jack combos. So how should that knob react once you change the gain inside Logic?

I wish that Apple would compile a list of fully compatible interfaces. Or at least clearly tell us what to look for. Bought the Scarlett last year and even though it’s not a show stopper I think I would have looked for another interface if it had these functions available.

Hey There

I run Logic ProX 10.4.0 with focusrite rednet 2x MP8R and Rednet AMS2

Has anyone tried to make this work to remotely change at least gain from within Logic ?

Thanks

Alex

I have a focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen and it does NOT work with that.

Come to think of it: that interface has real 270 degree knobs for the gain of the four xlr/jack combos. So how should that knob react once you change the gain inside Logic?

I wish that Apple would compile a list of fully compatible interfaces. Or at least clearly tell us what to look for. Bought the Scarlett last year and even though it’s not a show stopper I think I would have looked for another interface if it had these functions available.

To my knowledge, only Apogee interfaces work 100% with it. I had a babyface in the past and the gain knob was working. Obviously, you must have an interface that the preamp gain is digitally-controlled. If your interface’s gain knobs are analog, it could not work.

Blink