Missing/Corrupt Audio Files in .lbm Format?

solesgo
Go to solution Solved by solesgo,

TLDR: Missing audio files have been located in the project's "Audio Files" folder but are in .lbm format with no corresponding .aif file. Why does this happen and how can it be fixed?

I've been working with the same session for the better part of a year now with all my audio files remaining intact. When I opened the session today, however, upwards of 30 audio files were not able to be located. The missing files seem to be confined exclusively to select drum tracks (Kick, Snare, Toms, Overheads), all of which were recorded on the same day. When I opened the Audio Files folder for the project, I noticed all of the missing files had a .lbm file extension instead of the typical .aif format. These corrupted files are saved as a "Document" or "iTunes Document" as opposed to a "AIFF-C audio" file for the the good ones.

To provide some further background information: about 6 months ago, the original project became corrupted and could not be opened. I opened a new project, imported all of the project information, and have been working with that project ever since with no complications until now. The fact that the missing files right now all happen to be drum tacks which were recorded on the same day during the same session makes think something may have gone wrong during that particular session way back when. Also, these tracks were all recorded to the original project before it became corrupt the first time. Again... I stress that I have opened and reopened this new project countless times over the past 6 months with no issues. I have already tried creating a new project and importing the project data again, but the files remained missing.

Since the files still exist in their proper folder, it seems to me that the solution would be to somehow convert them back to .aif, which I know neither if that is possible nor how to do. This seems to be a very rare issue that I have yet to see solved on this forum.

• Solution

All figured out! This is just an update for anyone who runs across this issue in the future:

For some unknown reason, Logic seems to have just kicked the missing tracks into the trash, leaving behind only their respective .lbm files in the Audio Files folder. I still have no explanation for this, and judging by the high level of activity on this thread, I assume I never will... But more importantly, everything is back where it should be. Very bonehead solution that I wish I would've figured out 12 hours before I did, but in any case, I know I'm not the only one who's had this issue, and I probably won't be the last.

That being said, hours of tirelessly fretting out the situation have given me some quality insight on a subject that seems to be lacking on this forum. The LBM files that can appear in that folder have seemingly no known purpose and may very well just be a glitch in the program. They are technically a rare type of IFF graphics file and do not contain any of the sound information that you're looking for. I say this because I hypothesized before that the LBMs were corrupted forms of my missing sound files, and I even attempted changing the file extension back to .aif as I saw recommended on a separate thread, as well as putting them through a file converter. All of this is futile; don't waste your time. THESE ARE NOT YOUR FILES.

Instead, spend your time locating the missing AIFs. They're somewhere in your hard drive more likely than not. Check your trash.

So for everybody down the line: CHECK YOUR TRASH!

• 10 months later...
Sorry to open a wound...but I am faced with this issue today. I tried to drag and drop one of my songs .logic file from one hard drive to the next, and when it was taking forever, I clicked X to abort. After that, all of the vocals I had recorded that day disappeared. They are not in the trash, I have no idea where they are. Clicking LOCATE does nothing at all. It is like these files have been wiped out clean. Must have something to do with the finder, how I clicked abort before the file was finished copying to the new place? Who knows. So frustrating. lol.

I know. I wish I knew what happened. This file has no corresponding aiffs ANYWHERE to be found on my computer, or any of the files that appear when I "unpack" logic file itself. They survived long enough for me to bounce a working mp3 of the song, but I am really peeved they are probably gone for good. It all happened so fast too, I finished the recording session, then tried to transfer the file before I ever had a chance to back up anything onto my external hard drives. It all disappeared just an hour later.

• 1 year later...