Quickest & Easiest way to fill track with blank audio?

Nola111

Hi all,

I have a project with an audio track with an active region that starts at Bar 64 and ends at bar 68. That's the only region on the whole thing. I'd like to have blank audio regions all the way from the start of bar 1 up to Bar 64, and then from bar 68 to the end of the song. Once that's done, I'd then do a Join command to make it one contiguous audio region spanning the entire song.

What's the quickest way to accomplish this?

I've been doing a very manual, dirty way by just hitting record at bar 1 for a second or two to create a blank region, then the same at the end of the song. Then highlight all 3 regions together and do a Join. That works, but surely there's a more "logical" way to do it?

Thanks.

Creating a new audio file is not a problem. That happens when you do the Join command anyway.

Does the consolidate command in Logic that you're speaking of at least add blank space from Bar 1 to the beginning of the first active region? That's really what I'm looking to accomplish more than anything else.

join/consolidate is what i am referring to sorry I am not a fluent logic expert helper yet haha! it won't add blank space.

There is actually a workaround that has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

1. Create a bus output for EVERY SINGLE track

2. in the mixer right click the aux tracks and create track for the aux (this makes it not just a channel, but a track in the arrangement) then you can record the audio from start to finish of your arrangement. Don't forget you can drag project files between projects so maybe when your done with this step you open a new logic project and bring them over there, to sort of not have to delete all the old tracks or new tracks you just created *depending on goal*

Tedious process, but it will do the trick.

In the meantime, send this feature request to the logic team, http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html I am really hoping audio editing will be a big focus of logic 11.

Hi all,

I have a project with an audio track with an active region that starts at Bar 64 and ends at bar 68. That's the only region on the whole thing. I'd like to have blank audio regions all the way from the start of bar 1 up to Bar 64, and then from bar 68 to the end of the song. Once that's done, I'd then do a Join command to make it one contiguous audio region spanning the entire song.

What's the quickest way to accomplish this?

I've been doing a very manual, dirty way by just hitting record at bar 1 for a second or two to create a blank region, then the same at the end of the song. Then highlight all 3 regions together and do a Join. That works, but surely there's a more "logical" way to do it?

Thanks.

I would copy that bar 64-68 bit to 1.1.1.1. Then select the region, use 'Audio region to new audio file' (for me , to make that a new audio file, name it 'silence' (for instance for later use). Then double click it, and make it silent in the audio editor (Functions > Silence). Then copy it to the end of the track as well, then select all three and 'Join' them, it'll make one full length audio file. Anything between them will be silence as well. So my version just skips your recording a bit. If you needed to export numerous tracks at once, you could quickly copy the silent audio bit to all the beginnings and endings of the tracks and export all the tracks from the export menu.

I keep a "Empty.wav" on the desktop for situations like this, so its just a few flicks of the mouse to drag it into Logic via Expose Desktop corner. Just drop it at 1 1 1 1 and then option drag it (or copy paste if you are keyboard person) to your end and hit Join command. For me this is a 2 sec operation.

The "Empty.wav" pluss region start/end/overlap/adjust key commands is really useful for not only this but all kinds of situation where you need to sync up audio regions to start on bars and beats. Its like the "Transparent.gif" of web development or "Colorbars.mov" of motion graphics :) The invisible warriors doing the dirty work nobody ever sees, hears, or clicks :)

Yet another way by using pressing play for a measure on the audio track ( but hit a midi key). Then Shift R to capture record.

Extend the region, bounce the region, move up an delete lower track header, then join.

Edit: don't forget to delete the note entered prior to bip.

1487760281_yetanotherway.GIF.55a763276a27771e4c2c891ecf9683ca.GIF

How to add silence to audio regions using a midi region.......

Hey all, thanks for all the replies with the great work-arounds. They're all great suggestions but I have to give the trophy to Volovicg for his 2 suggestions.

Volo - I had NO idea in 5 years of using Logic you could record a MIDI region directly onto an audio track! That's crazy! Thanks so much, I think that's the one that will likely end up in my workflow!

Feel free to do as you like, of course, but am I not getting something, or why is it faster to create a new midi track, bounce etc vs. grabbing a silent dummy file from desktop (or any quick place) and joining that with the rest of the regions?1347906073_Export20with20silence2001.jpg.2af7c939d369d2a7137f43ba9ded61e4.jpg

Export/join with silence

I keep a "Empty.wav" on the desktop for situations like this...

Exactly!

Just tried File > Bounce > Track in Place..., even faster :)

[attachment=0]BipTrack.gif[/attachment]

Ah! The key there is using "Replace Track" in the bip dialog box instead of new track. That's where I'd been going wrong - when you use new track, it places the regions in the same place on the new track with no blank space.

If I had to guess, this is probably how the Logic developers would answer my question. Nicely done, JakobP!

• 1 year later...

BipTrack.gif

This is just what I was looking for.  However, it's not working for me.  I bounce track in place with replace track selected and it does not fill in the blank spaces.  Wonder why this is not working?  Using Logic Pro 10.3.1.

BipTrack.gif

This is just what I was looking for.  However, it's not working for me.  I bounce track in place with replace track selected and it does not fill in the blank spaces.  Wonder why this is not working?  Using Logic Pro 10.3.1.

Well, after further investigation, it is working on some tracks but not others.  All tracks are audio files.  Hmmm.

Well, after further investigation, it is working on some tracks but not others.  All tracks are audio files.  Hmmm.

Solution:  Just had to turn 'input monitoring' off.

• 4 years later...