Confusing situation with Logic

I was deleting some files on my computer for the last few hours. Logic has been installed on my computer since 2015. Today i clicked on Logic & it said welcome to logic & it installed on my computer. I wasn't sure what happened. I just assumed it was update or something. The REAL PROBLEM is Logic's complete sound library is installed on my computer yet when i checked the Sound library manager most of the sounds are not installed.1362914041_ScreenShot2016-05-13at3_48_24PM.png.03c365d005749b0b113bea50a6b2c850.png I Can't install the sounds because i don't have enough space (Because the sounds are already installed & take up most of the space on my Mac). My Mac only has 10 GB of space. What should i do? Should i Uninstall logic. If i should, how do i do that properly. How do i remove Logic sound library off my computer before the reinstallation?. Few questions i have. Hopefully this doesn't sound confusing.

Hi

I Can't install the sounds because i don't have enough space (Because the sounds are already installed & take up most of the space on my Mac). My Mac only has 10 GB of space. What should i do?

10GB of free space is no where near enough. You need to make a boatload of disk space by deleting files, or moving them onto an external drive.

CCT

Hi

I Can't install the sounds because i don't have enough space (Because the sounds are already installed & take up most of the space on my Mac). My Mac only has 10 GB of space. What should i do?

10GB of free space is no where near enough. You need to make a boatload of disk space by deleting files, or moving them onto an external drive.

CCT

That's because I already downloaded the sound library which takes up half of my mac along with other applications & files that are already on my mac. Yet the sound library manager is stating otherwise because it says most the sounds are not downloaded or incomplete & that's not true.

Hi

Hi

CCT

The OP does not have enough free disk space to complete the downloads, and is in danger of having other, more serious issues due to extremely low free space ( not enough to operate, let alone download all the content).

CCT

I just checked my App Support Logic folder and it's 46 gigs. How much is yours?

44.88 GB. This is what i don't understand. The files are on my mac but the sound library manager in logic is saying otherwise.

I agree, Eric, and a good Rule of Thumb is at least 10%, though if at all possible 20-25%. It might be an easier goal to reach for us iMac users (or MacPro), but as someone mentioned, external drives really help.

In fact, in theory you should have an external backup. If you use something other than Time Machine, such as Super-Duper, you can actually store the content located in the Library -- App Support folder -- here and delete it from your main drive. A backup is not necessary unless you too have old items like Apple Loops in aif format before they were converted to CAF. The Apple Loops are located in the Audio Directory, not App Support.

Also, much of the factory content is not even in the Logic directory, but rather GarageBand (EXS) -- and you can do the same here.

I use aliases, though many have recommended symbolic links. Since you cannot alias the Alchemy Samples, they are on my main drive as I haven't taken the time to deal with the Symbolic Links (though the question remains why not just allow aliases for Alchemy?)

If done in this fashion, the "Download Additional Content" menu item might not recognise the data on the external drives if accomplished with aliases, so perhaps you're running into this issue-- which isn't as issue at all-- and you can ignore. The only downside of this tactic, however, is if indeed new versions with new content are added by Apple. I go through the process manually, and am able to as I have over 7T of disk space on my drives overall, but if you are on a smaller, portable MacBook Air or Pro, this could present issues, though I believe many a user has their entire system structured similarly, with the requisite external drives for Audio Files, Projects, Sampler Files, and Back Ups.

You DO NOT want to let the drive get totally filled.. Total disaster, I did once by mistake. The OSX started eating itself. And I had to wipe the drive and install everything again.. Really I'd stick with 20 - 25% free space.. Computer starts to slow down once drive is too full, because it has to keep shuffling data to work..

I'd wipe all the factory content. I hate that still so many programs insist on writing sound data to OSX drive.. Some programs will only install data to OSX.. Do you make use of factory content.. I just erased all the apple loops, don't need, unfortunately other do..

You might try a symlink to an external drive, If Logic fails to install to the symlink.. Incrementally install the data, then move to symlink, and erase off of OSX drive. Good luck