Drum Kit Designer/Producer Kits: Swapping sounds + remapping MIDI

schmargle

I'm having trouble doing two things with Drum Kit Designer. 

I want to play a MIDI pattern into Logic with my drumKAT. I'd like to use Drum Kit Designer for the sound source. But I'd like the flexibility of the Producer Kits.

Now, I understand how to get to the Producer Kits with Drummer. 

On a MIDI track that I've played, however, it seems to be a little different. If I try to select Drum Kit Designer as an instrument, I don't get an option to select a Producer Kit. I can, though, get to the Producer Kits as Setting for the track, but if I go that route, then the only way I can figure out how to get to the graphical interface of Drum Kit Designer (and select different kit parts) is to expand the track into the individual Drum Kit Designer parts. Then I must select the track for the overheads, where the Drum Kit Designer instrument resides. Is that really the only way to get to that instrument?

Here's the other thing I need to do: I want to change the MIDI mapping of Drum Kit Designer. Basically, I have a certain mapping on my drumKAT, and I don't want to change it. So I want to change one of the MIDI notes for, say, the second crash on Drum Kit Designer. But I can't figure out a way just to change that one note. 

Any suggestions?

But if I go that route, then the only way I can figure out how to get to the graphical interface of Drum Kit Designer (and select different kit parts) is to expand the track into the individual Drum Kit Designer parts. Then I must select the track for the overheads, where the Drum Kit Designer instrument resides. Is that really the only way to get to that instrument?

Yes.

Here's the other thing I need to do: I want to change the MIDI mapping of Drum Kit Designer. Basically, I have a certain mapping on my drumKAT, and I don't want to change it. So I want to change one of the MIDI notes for, say, the second crash on Drum Kit Designer. But I can't figure out a way just to change that one note. 

Any suggestions?

Load the Scripter MIDI FX plugin and use its "Drum Kit Designer Remapper" setting.

J.

Thanks for the reply.

Two issues with the Scripter (which I had never heard of, so thanks!): First of all, if I use a Producer Kit, I don't get a MIDI FX option. Is there a way to make that happen even if it doesn't automatically pop up?

Second, if I just set up a regular MIDI track, I see the MIDI FX option. But there's not DrumKitDesigner Remapper. Is that like an open source thing I'd have to search for on the web somewhere? ...And I guess it only makes sense to search for it if I can actually use it with a Producer Kit (first issue).

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Two issues with the Scripter (which I had never heard of, so thanks!): First of all, if I use a Producer Kit, I don't get a MIDI FX option. Is there a way to make that happen even if it doesn't automatically pop up?

You're welcome!

You can load MIDI FX in the  software instrument channel strip where you have Drum Kit Designer. Since you're using Producer Kits, that means you'll have to expand the Track Stack to get to it, just like you mentioned before:

then the only way I can figure out how to get to the graphical interface of Drum Kit Designer (and select different kit parts) is to expand the track into the individual Drum Kit Designer parts. Then I must select the track for the overheads, where the Drum Kit Designer instrument resides.
But there's not DrumKitDesigner Remapper. Is that like an open source thing I'd have to search for on the web somewhere?

No, that's an actual Scripter setting and you should have access to it from the Scripter's settings menu, in the "Factory" submenu. If you don't have it maybe you haven't downloaded the content package that includes it? 

I'm attaching the setting here just in case. Unzip it and put it in /Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/Scripter/

J.

Drum Kit Designer Remapper.pst.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Oh shoot, one question, though: When I turn on the scripter, the open hi hat doesn't work as it should, which is odd, because it works fine when the scripter is off. So basically, in scripter, I have the hi hat open edge mapped to the correct note (A#1), but it plays more like a hi hat closed edge. Definitely different than the closed tip, but not the open sound. And in scripter, I don't see any other open hi hat options. Any suggestions?

Thanks, yes, that's how I have the setting, but I guess the issue is the CC part. I'm using a drumKAT in HATNOTE mode, which does not use (generate?) continuous controller info. I could try the drumKAT's controller mode for the hat, but I think there was some reason why I didn't want that (I can't recall). Thanks again for the info. I'll see if I can make that work.

Hmm, I was pretty sure setting that parameter to "Off" took care of it. Apparently not.

However, you can edit a value in the script to get the correct "Hi Hat Open Edge" articulation:

Click the "Open Script in Editor" button near the top of the Scripter plugin window. 

Go to line 22 where it says "var CURRENT_HIHAT_ARTICULATION" and set its value to 0 (zero).

Click the "Run Script" button at the top of the Script Editor window.

At this point you could save the preset under a different name if you like.

J.

• 3 months later...
I see that this thread is a couple of months old, but I am using Scripter Drum Kit Designer Remapper. I want to use Producer kits. I have My scripter setting saved as a channel strip setting. But when I go to a producer kit from that point, there is no option for scripter in channel strip. I see above that you have a solution, but I'm still not understanding what to do. Thanks for the help in advance

• 1 year later...
Here's a modified version of the preset in case it's easier for you.

I stripped out all bits of code that dealt with hihat control through CC's.

J.

Hi Jordi, thank you so much. My Ashton RHYTHM VX Electronic Drum does not give me the chance to change the pads note. I was going crazy looking for a solution. Et voilà! :-) This site is full of very useful resources.