Arturia V5 crashing Logic left and right

deke

Apologies if this is not the correct section to post. Okay, I have a brand spanking new iMac (sig updated to show this) and a brand spanking new install of Logic and a brand spanking new install of Arturia V5. On the very first day of my virgin system, the Arturia synths seemed to run fine in stand alone, but in Logic pure chaos. I started with Solina and it was a nightmare. Crashed when playing, crashed when bouncing the project, crashed when opening the project, crashed when copying a track... Crash, crash ,crash. I turn off the plugin, all is fine, turn it on, a mess and crash crash crash, each time the crash log listing plain as day "Solina". Arturia tech support asks me a million questions and to do a manual deinstall and install of Solina. This included to "start Logic in 32 bit via GetInfo," but no such option exists that I can see. 

After all that nonsense, Solina seems fine. So, I Try Jupiter 8, and bam, it crashes Logic when I copy paste a track, then when I reopen the project, play the project. Then Solina starts crashing again... Do I have to go through every darn V5 module to prove they all are just as problematic? How fun is that?

There seem to be many people who have issues with Arturia specifically, while some seem to do okay. One email every 24 hours from guy in France is not even close to an effective medium of communication to solve this. Does anyone have advice or suggestions? I just paid $400 for this and if they can't make it work on a brand new computer, OS, Logic... I am asking for a refund (or if they won't give me one, I will dispute the charges with my credit card).

Yes, Arturia is all the latest.  All brand spanking new install, the absolute latest of everything on a virgin iMac and OS.

Analog 2 acts up as well, but different - I select a preset yet it will not save or stay set to that preset. 

Does any one have troubleshooting steps to suggest. Any specific recommendations please?

Thanks pranearth. Ha! The same thing happened to me. Piano failed to validate the first time too, but then it passed. 

However, I have tried something. The crashes occurred on one or two projects. They just happened to be what I was working on, so I used those to experiment with my new V5 install and computer. Each of the projects had a few idiosyncrasies including tons of controller and expression data on some of the midi tracks. One had a missing audio file message I have been ignoring for some time. So, on a trouble shooting guess, I created a new project, copied over the tracks, but removed all that extra midi controller/expression... data. For at least 15 minutes this morning have been running that new project with Solina, Jup 3, Piano and SEM with zero crashes. I'm not sure my issue is resolved, I don't understand why midi data like this could crash a plugin/Logic (everyone else played along just fine), but it seems a little interesting that things are now apparently stable.

I agree, I really like these synths and while some are better than others, it is nice to have so many available. Synth aficionados may have other opinions, but to one who mainly plays guitar this is a lot of fun.

As a fellow new iMac owner isn't it nice to see the old CPU meter in Logic barely move while playing 5-6 Arturia plugins and a whole mess of others all at the same time? :-) P.S. Somewhat off topic, I saw a few posts about Logic's UI responding very slowly on new Retina Macs, but I have yet to see this for me (fingers crossed). One suggestion was to change Preferences - Audio - Devices - Processing Threads from Automatic to the number of cores on your Mac, but I am still set to Automatic.

I'm still on IV Collection, and boy... that Farfisa plugin keeps calling me to upgrade, it sounds splendid to my ears, but saying that, the real thing would be even better, so my feet are halfway between upgrading (And get all the other benefits of V5, or going on a real life Farfisa hunt!) :)

Arturia collection is a strange bunch of plugins, i had a lot of problems opening multiple instances of them with Studio One, but Logic has been generally pretty good - although i have had the ui on some stop responding/go slow.  Particularly with external midi controllers, it wouldn't always update on screen the movements.

Edit: WOOAH! How long has V5 been on offer for?!! I'm getting straight on that for 99 euros!!!!  wow!!!

Edit(2): Offer is for existing V4 owners, before i upset the OP and their new purchase!! :)

Really impressed actually, sorry, i know you're struggling a bit with it but if you hadn't posted i wouldn't have checked upgrade prices - so... urm... thanks :)

There's a lot of really great improvements over v4 that i've found, some of the new (v3) plugins sound fantastic now, what a great collection, once you've found the cause of the bugs you'll go back to this again and again i think.

I've got it running on my little 13" MacBook Pro as i was desperate to try the Farfisa and Synclavier plugin out, and it's running great... Hey, If you wanna swap it for your 4 year newer, double ram, at least double CPU machine, i'll be more than happy to swap with you... if you throw the guitars in of course. ;)

Leave it with you.... lol ;)

Taking sound out of the equation for a bit, even the interfaces for each are radically improved! They're an absolute joy to work with now, the resizing etc. is great, i run at high res and the old interfaces were so hard to see/work with - i am so pleased with v5 - it's more than what i was expecting - which is a rarity these days! :)

I see they stripped Spark out of v5 too, so i'm keeping the v4 license running on my account just for that, i love Spark - not a clue why they removed it(!?)

Sorry this is NOT AT ALL sorted out. The crashes have continued, each time the log citing Arturia - Solina, Jupiter 8, Stage 73, Farfisa... sooner or later in any project Arturia blows up logic. 

It gets better. They also crash Ableton Live. I spent hours yesterday completely uninstalling V5 and Logic, then starting with everything new and the crashes continue. Their support response has been terrible and nothing they suggest (not much) has helped. 

Remember, this was all on a brand new computer with an OS and Logic/V5 installs as pure as the virgin snow. EVERYTHING else works perfectly, music and otherwise. Only Arturia is a problem here. I would like to agree on the synth sounds themselves, but right now I am a little too frustrated to give them any praise. 

OH, that's not good. :(

Can you think of anything you're doing that may cause it?, i'm quite happy to test - as i'm still playing around with them myself.

i.e. how many of the Arturia's are running when it crashes?  (If only one, have you tried them in standalone mode to find out if it's the plugin, or the app itself that's at fault on your system?)

Are you still putting midi cc tracks through them?

I'm willing to bet it's something to do with the gui, does it crash when the plugin is being opened, or you're swapping between them?

I say that as i used to keep an eye on the Arturia forums and noted quite considerable issues that were gui-related, such as blank plugins, crashing, switching between plugins etc.  and these new ones are pretty graphic intensive.

Which video card is in your iMac, is it the R9 M390 or R9 M395?

One other thing, just to verify you are on the latest versions, here's what i have:-

2039304157_ScreenShot2016-12-05at10_36_39.png.013bb2eb96a2eb932c16cf0ccedf1e30.png

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Did you find a solution this problem? I've just upgraded to V5 and installed the plug ins on a brand new MacBook Pro 2016 running 10.12.2 and LPX 10.2.4 and most of the Arturia plug ins a crashing just when opening them. I've even wiped the drive and done a clean install of the OS and LPX and this time only installed a handful of the Arturia plugs to test (newly downloaded) and no other third party plug ins. And it's still crashing. I've emailed Arturia and sent them a video of the crashing and all I've heard back after 24 hours is it's been sent up to a level2 tech to look at. It's not good enough for a professional user...

• 3 months later...