Fastest and easiest way to convert stereo file to mono

3ple

Hey guys. Here's my Xmas gift. Hope it's useful if no one has shared this trick yet ;)

- Import your stereo file into Logic. In my example, only the left channel has usable audio (let's say it was a guitar strum).

585877426_stereotomono1.png.c95ad926a521fcd1da84e0783b4fcadf.png

- Right-click the region, Convert, Convert to new audio file

1472643827_stereotomono2.png.7e66c946a1af9ee9b1850bc16057b08d.png

- In the Stereo Conversion menu, choose Interleaved to Split

1894554217_stereotomono3.png.e4f861b997449a8864b0b4eda1a658c8.png

- Now change the tab on the right panel (Browsers) from Project to All Files, select the file you want to import as mono (in this case was the file with the "L" on the name since it's the left channel with the guitar strum and right-click on it, Show In Finder option

1107494938_stereotomono4.png.2cf6fb9a44c716435cce24d605aa63f2.png

- Once you're on the Finder window, rename that file to whatever you want, as long as it becomes different from the file with the "R". The big problem about importing Stereo Interleaved files into Logic is because Logic looks at files with the same name, but with the L and the R ending and so it joins them again. By renaming, that link is broken.

1361859817_stereotomono5.png.22e3d3594521c0d564b9daee7213339c.png

- Now Logic will update the All Files panel and show you the new file. If it doesn't right away, you can just change the way Logic displays the files (those two buttons right below the All Files tab) and it will update it when you do it. Once you see the file, just drag it to the project and voila!!

1928351705_stereotomono6.png.a0e912eab7f18d4760e3f85291013cd0.png

Hope this is helpful! :)

Merry Xmas guys!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, there's an even faster way to do it: 

1. Import the file to a new empty stereo audio track

2. Change the input format button on the channel strip to "Left" 

3. Bounce the region in place, be sure "Include Volume/Pan Automation" is NOT checked in the bounce in place dialog.

Actually, there's an even faster way to do it: 

1. Import the file to a new empty stereo audio track

2. Change the input format button on the channel strip to "Left" 

3. Bounce the region in place, be sure "Include Volume/Pan Automation" is NOT checked in the bounce in place dialog.

You're the man! Great trick. Gonna save it on my notes. Thanks ;)

I guess you can make it even "faster" by just changing the current track to Left, without creating a new track, and once it's bounced in place, making it stereo or mono again. :P

But awesome tip. Will use it in the future for sure!

I guess you can make it even "faster" by just changing the current track to Left, without creating a new track, and once it's bounced in place, making it stereo or mono again. :P

You're most welcome ! :D 

If you already have the file imported on a track on which there are plugins inserted, you have to make sure to check the "Bypass Effect Plug-Ins" to get it in mono.

Also, depending on what your goal is, maybe it's not even necessary to create a new file to begin with, only switch the input format and then process it as if it was a  normal mono file. 

You're most welcome ! :D 

If you already have the file imported on a track on which there are plugins inserted, you have to make sure to check the "Bypass Effect Plug-Ins" to get it in mono.

Also, depending on what your goal is, maybe it's not even necessary to create a new file to begin with, only switch the input format and then process it as if it was a  normal mono file. 

My OCD doesn't allow me to work with a Stereo file as mono... haha it's that extra empty line on one of the channels that makes my OCD tickle my brain haha.

And yeah, I always bypass the plugins when I don't need them. This would be the case, for sure :)

Note that you could click-hold the double-arrow to the right of the plug-in and choose the correct format instead. And that should satisfy anyone's OCD: work with the correct format throughout your entire signal chain. 

Note that you could click-hold the double-arrow to the right of the plug-in and choose the correct format instead. And that should satisfy anyone's OCD: work with the correct format throughout your entire signal chain. 

I guess you meant Option+Click-hold...? To show more options...?

But still, doing that will not change the fact that the file on the arrangement still shows as stereo (one side with the waveform and the other one just a line). That's where my OCD kicks in :P Using the Mono version of the plugin(s) is obviously faster and easier. But I like to have everything nice and neat so my OCD can thank me lolol

I guess you meant Option+Click-hold...? To show more options...?

No, I meant click-hold the double-arrow to the right in the blue insert of the plug-in in the Audio FX section to change the format of a plug-in that was already inserted without changing its settings. 

But you don't need to hold it. When you just click it, it will automatically open the sub menu. Not sure what you're trying to explain and accomplish with that option of holding it... :/

I'm trying it while I type and I see no changes in behavior...

Not sure if this is what you mean, but as you can see, by just clicking it (without holding it) I was able to change the plugin from mono to stereo and back to mono, without changing the settings on the EQ. Is that what you were saying...?

mono-stereo-mono.gif.0b530adbfff95d7ab75e2aedbd368344.gif

But you don't need to hold it. When you just click it, it will automatically open the sub menu. Not sure what you're trying to explain and accomplish with that option of holding it... :/

I'm trying it while I type and I see no changes in behavior...

It behaves slightly different if you hold down the mouse button. As with most menus, you have two ways to open the menu and make your choice:

1. Click,  navigate to your choice, click.
  2. Click-hold, navigate to your choice, release.

When I don't know what to look for in a menu and I want to be able to keep the menu open for a while, I use method #1. 

When I know exactly what I'm going for and want to be fast, I use method #2.

Oh I see what you mean. I always hated that behavior in Logic 8 and 9, the holding thing so when they changed it to just click, I loved it :P So I guess we are both talking about the same thing. But yeah, I never work with stereo plugin on mono channels or vice versa. Again, my OCD doesn't allow me that either (that bastard, huh?) lol

I never work with stereo plugin on mono channels or vice versa. 

You are limiting your possibilities by doing so. A channel strip is not mono or stereo. A channel strip carries an audio signal that can change format in many different places while traveling through the channel strip. The channel strip has an input format, each plug-in can potentially change the format, and the channel strip has an output format. What if you want to use a stereo modulation, delay or reverb effect on a mono source? How about the opposite, for example reducing a stereo synth (that isn't available as a mono plug-in) to a mono signal?